Hi all!

I'm planning on buying a dreadnought guitar and I have a budget of 200 euro's. It's just for bedroom practice, so that seems a fair price for me.

Now I wonder, should I buy a 200 euro guitar from a cheap guitar brand, or a premium guitar band?

I mean, Takamine is a very expensive guitar brand in general, but also makes a few very affordable guitars. Just 3-4 or so. Like this one:

https://www.thomann.de/nl/takamine_gd10_ns.htm#bewertung

But I could also buy some guitar from Fender, who makes a lot of cheap and affordable guitars.

But which one would produce the most quality?

Thanks!
I've never had the perception of Takamine as an "expensive" brand.
That said, I wouldn't pick a Takamine unless I was planning to plug in, unless I played it first and it suited me.
I wouldn't buy a Fender acoustic at all, unless I played it first and it suited me.
Quote by Tony Done
I would would be looking at Yamaha. They have a very good reputation is those lower price ranges.

Agreed. I've played a good many lower-end Yamahas over the last 25 years, and their newest low-end models should fit the bill here.
Quote by FrogstarWorldA
I've never had the perception of Takamine as an "expensive" brand.
That said, I wouldn't pick a Takamine unless I was planning to plug in, unless I played it first and it suited me.
I wouldn't buy a Fender acoustic at all, unless I played it first and it suited me.

Agreed. I've played a good many lower-end Yamahas over the last 25 years, and their newest low-end models should fit the bill here.

On Thomann most of them are around 1000 euro's, which is a lot of money. But thanks for the recommendation!
Quote by FrogstarWorldA
If you can stretch your budget up to 229, they have a Yamaha FG800M there.

I could. is it considered a good guitar?

Thanks btw!
I played an FG800 (as far as I can tell the M designates that's a matte finish instead of glossy, on these I wouldn't expect much sonic difference) at Guitar Center a few weeks ago, it seemed like a pretty good instrument for the money.
the FG800 is definitely a good guitar in that price range. btw, i run into more poorly intonated guitars from off brands than brands like takamine and yamaha.

btw, around here takamine has a very wide spread of prices including from $199 to $299. i prefer yamahas in that price range, however, although not the APX series.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by EPI51
Hi all!

I'm planning on buying a dreadnought guitar and I have a budget of 200 euro's. It's just for bedroom practice, so that seems a fair price for me. . . .

Now I wonder, should I buy a 200 euro guitar from a cheap guitar brand, or a premium guitar band? . . . . . . Thanks!

200 euro is quite enough of a budget to get you a good guitar. As a rough guide, the guitars made in PacRim countries by makers such as Cort, Crafter, LAG, Recording King, Tanglewood, Vintage, Yamaha, etc. are all usually of good quality and, spec-for-spec, cost around 1/3 to 1/2 the price of "famous name" brands. So a guitar costing 200 euro from one of those makers would cost 400 to 600 euro from a "premium" brand (whatever that may mean).

I notice Thomann stock the Cort Earth 100 - I've played that model and it was a great guitar. I see they also do a Recording King dreadnought for around 180 euro - I've not played that particular model but I've played a lot of their other stuff and all have been great guitars. I'm becoming quite a fan of Recording King LOL.
Last edited by Garthman at Mar 2, 2017,
Can get rip off (made in indonesia) strats for probably 200 EU. They're backed by Fender though... Just a more affordable guutar
And especially if it's just bedroom practice
Not as twice as bad as you would've thought it was going to be
Quote by Tony Done
Garthman

Recording King would also be high on my candidate list . . . . ..

Yes. I first encountered the brand about 2 years ago. I saw one in a used guitar shop that I pop into whenever I'm passing. It was a ROS-16 slotted headstock, 12 fret-to-body, 000 parlour. It may have been 2nd hand but you couldn't tell - it was in mint condition. I played it for 10 mins and was hooked so bought it there and then. I've played about a dozen different models since then and all have been very good. They are not common in the UK - probably not in Oz either - but hopefully they will grow.
Quote by deathfromala
Can get rip off (made in indonesia) strats for probably 200 EU. They're backed by Fender though... Just a more affordable guutar
And especially if it's just bedroom practice
How on earth do you come up with an IQ over 5000, and then try to sell someone who's looking for "a dreadnought", a "Stratocaster"?

FWIW, this Fender, "Sonoran", is about as close as you're going to get:

No offense intended, it's just that I'm struggling badly to put the Stratocaster issue into some relevant context.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 3, 2017,
Captaincranky
Lol. my bad, was drunk..

i agree with the yamaha suggestion then, up top^
Not as twice as bad as you would've thought it was going to be
Last edited by deathfromala at Mar 3, 2017,