Hello again everyone, thanks to some help from a recent thread I made here, I'm looking at picking up a used Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 Head plus a Marshall 1936 cab with Celestion speakers in it.

I know these amps supposedly had issues with bias'ing and other things in the earlier models but I've spoken to the guy selling it and he's said hes not had any issues with it although did have to change the tubes. Before I go ahead and buy this amp, can anyone give me any advice or way of dating it to perhaps see if it will have any of the notorious bias issues? I just dont want to go and make a huge purchase on my new main amp and then have it break and need to invest in new tubes and take it to an amp tech. He said the amp was made around 2000-2006 and I've read that the amps with issues were made from around 1997-2003. If anyone has any knowledge about this any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers
solclayton2000
This doesn't address your question directly but always budget for a complete tube swap for a used amp. You'll be happy if it doesn't need it but you never know what you're getting (and some people ship/sell things with different tunes than they advertise).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Sounds like a good plan on the gear purchase, classic Marshall amp. Not sure if you're not getting a model with the problems but I think in general they ironed things out by then. I think all Marshalls at that time were made in Britain, but verify that just to be sure. Maybe get serial # and see if you can find something based on that.
The problem with the pre 2003 models was an under-rated bridge rectifier that overheated. It was fixed sometime in 2003. It's a fairly easy fix, you simply replace the rectifier with a bigger one - one with a heatsink. You have to ream out the holes in the PCB a bit to take the bigger leads but it isn't a hard job.
I don't think it was a problem with the 50's anyway, but I could be wrong.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification