Got a sbmm ax40d, love it. But the trem isn't compatible with the dtuna. So I need a new one. Some internet conjecture points to saddles, while some to base plate. Its either a high quality floyd or gotoh and I like the gotoh better..specifically the 1996t. Just not positive what I can drop in there....I know gotoh posts are bigger, but id like to use the original posts in the guitar. And also have seen where some gotoh trems don't play well with dtuna and some do...need some direction here please guys.
Last edited by h8full at Mar 1, 2017,
are you sure it's not compatible? that'd be the first thing to check (from your post it sounds like you've heard this from the internet, so if people actually have tried it and it hasn't fit, that's fair enogh).

second thing is, are you sure you like a d-tuna? opinion seems to be pretty split on them- some people love them and some don't.

it'd be pretty expensive to buy a new gotoh or OFR and then find you didn't like the d-tuna.

however i guess you could still rationalise it by saying that the trem upgrade is likely better than your current trem.

i realise most of that is zero help, sorry. I just don't want you to think the thread was ignored, unfortunately it's quite a specific question.

have you tried emailing the d-tuna website? they may know if it fits the sterling axis trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dtunas have been reliable to me in the past. And I know first hand the dtuna will not function correctly on my ax40. But all the information I have on retro fitting a new trem has been from forums....And some say one way and other say another.

I greatly appreciate the reply by the way
No worries, just checking.

And yeah that's the problem with forums, as you're well aware. You need to be careful you mean the same thing they do, lol, I've been caught that way myself (was told an OFR and Gotoh were a direct swap for my Ibanez trem, turned out the people saying that didn't count the studs as not being a direct swap )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Although, the posts on gotoh require larger holes routed into the body, I believe, but am not certain that the contact point on the posts would be ok for the direct swap between floyd and gotoh. But not as certain that the dtuna on the gotoh on my ax40(which is routed to be dive only) would properly function.
^ Yeah. I think (from memory) the gotoh studs are even marginally bigger than the OFR ones (11mm versus 10mm I think), but I'm not certain on that.

I haven't tried the swap myself but IIRC one of the sides of the gotoh knife edges is flat, so you have a fair bit of leeway regarding the spacing.

I think.

And yeah about the D-tuna. I've never used one on a gotoh- it's a regular (i..e not low profile) trem like an OFR, so I don't see why it wouldn't work, but again it might not- maybe the screw threads are a different size, for example, or there may well be something else I haven't thought of.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well found a gotoh at a good price so I took the gamble and ordered it. Guess I'll find out the hard way. Should be easy to sell if it doesn't work.
The nut on the arm collar makes the bridge a little too tight in the trem route. Swapped arm collar with floyd. Seems to be fine. But too late to really put it to a 
So dremeled the trem route out just a little and put the original trem arm and collar on. Everything works smoothly.