I can play at a decent speed with my guitar, but I can't go as fast as most solos. I try the technique of muscle memory and it works for me, but there is one problem. My hand teamwork. My right hand is not as fast as my left hand (no dirty jokes plz). I've been playing for a bit over 2 years, and I can only do the 'Whole Lotta Love' solo by Led Zeppelin. I want to learn solos from Guns n roses, Metallica, and Van Halen. AGAIN, my hands cant work together. I do alternative picking, so I dont see whats happening. I'm in a band with a friend who is REALLY good at drums (beat a professional in a drum off) and another friend who is decent at the bass. The solo I want to learn in from Slash- Wicked Stone. No matter what, my right hand does NOT contribute. It's like they cant sync together
diditron91 It's a matter of practice, you need to train to keep your hands synchronized, try to play with a metronome at comfort speed and when you can play passage without mistakes, try it on a little faster tempo, and step by step you will get to the desired speed. There are some exercises, which can help you:
Speed Up Your Soloing. Part I: Warm Up And Synchronisation Excercises
How To Improve Hand Synchronization
This Is Why You Suck at Guitar: Your Hand Synchronization Sucks!
Udjine is dead on: practice. It can take time, a lot of it, to get where you want to be. You're trying to play solos people who played their entire lives did, and you can't expect to nail them until you put in the time.
I got pretty good at playing most of appetite for destruction. But Slash can move pretty fast at times. The end of Paradise City. I could never get. Try Night Train, or Sweet Child O Mine. That album is really fun to play to. For Zeppelin try Black Dog. The timing can be tricky but it's fun to play. How Many More Times too is pretty fun.

Just pick easier songs and nail them. Then you'll know your comfort zones. And can stretch from there.
I've always found EVH very hard to emulate. I love Van Halen but he's just got a very different feel for me. It's subtle but I just don't have his swagger. Try Little Dreamer maybe...or for something faster try Outta Love Again.

Unchained is cool to work on as well.

diditron91
Try this channel on Youtube Guitarlessons365, he has some speed exercises with tabs for both hands and tying them together, and a TON of other exercises including finger stretches (which help me a lot as I'm old).
Last edited by 33db at Mar 2, 2017,
Quote by diditron91
I can play at a decent speed with my guitar, but I can't go as fast as most solos. I try the technique of muscle memory and it works for me, but there is one problem. My hand teamwork. My right hand is not as fast as my left hand (no dirty jokes plz). I've been playing for a bit over 2 years, and I can only do the 'Whole Lotta Love' solo by Led Zeppelin. I want to learn solos from Guns n roses, Metallica, and Van Halen. AGAIN, my hands cant work together. I do alternative picking, so I dont see whats happening. I'm in a band with a friend who is REALLY good at drums (beat a professional in a drum off) and another friend who is decent at the bass. The solo I want to learn in from Slash- Wicked Stone. No matter what, my right hand does NOT contribute. It's like they cant sync together

One thing that is important to keep in mind is that speed isn't the only measure of ability on the guitar - in truth it's one of the least important factors when it comes to determining how "good" you are.

Accuracy, timing, cleanness of touch, articulation, bending in tune, muting etc - all those things are far more important than speed. Furthermore, you can't actually practice "speed", you can't simply "play faster". The way it works is you work on things like accuracy, timing, economy of motion, hand synchronisation and indeed simple fretboard knowledge, and as those aspects of your technique improve it will enable you to naturally play faster. If you can't keep your hands in sync at higher speeds then you can't magically change that, you simply need to slow right back down to the speed at which you CAN play in sync and build from there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There is really no such thing as "speed"... only "speed OF something".
So work on that something, and the speed of that something will come.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
I highly recommend you watch Troy Grady (youtube) and his cracking the code series. Practice is super important and being consistent/persistent with it, not expecting overnight results, expect results over weeks/months and keep pushing forward. Always try to keep things fresh with new things to learn rather than overpracticing anything in particular. The more you diversify your skills the more you will develop and you will probably enjoy it more.

With that will come speed and accuracy, it can't be forced. Always remember that these top players are quite relaxed when they are playing, that ease of muscle use and lack of tension comes only through practice and economy of movement, it takes time. If you're talking about Eddie Van Halen he is a monster on the guitar, unless you're extremely talented and dedicated you can't expect to be anywhere near that after just 2 years.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V