Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

I have been an Ibanez user for many years now, so very used to Ibanez Wizard and Wizard 2 necks.

Let me also say, I'm a Lefty so there's not a large range of guitars to choose from.

I am now looking into buying a new guitar and have been looking at Jackson's just for a change

I really like the 2017:

Jackson Soloist SL2 which just under £1000 (uk pounds).

This one has Mahogany Body, Thru neck, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, Floyd Rose FRT-O5000 and Seymour Duncan pickups.

Then we have the cheaper series:

Jackson SLX Soloist X ... this is "HALF" the price!

This one has Basswood Body, Thru neck, maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard, Floyd Rose Special and Seymour Duncan Designed Pickups.

I'm a Rock player and soloist ... I love the SL2 specs but cannot get off my head that the other one is half the price.

Is the difference worth it?

Are there any other guitar makes which have similar thin necks to the Ibanez Wizard necks that I should be looking at?

Any help is really appreciated

Thanks

S
Yes the Pros are significantly nicer guitars than the X series, as reflected in the price.

. Sound better due to nicer pickups 
. Feel better due to the ebony boards and gunstock oiled necks
. The Floyd Rose 1000 bridges on the Pro Series are an objective step up in quality from the Specials in the X Series.
. Many of the Pro series guitars look absolute stunners.
. Frankly I think the Pro Series guitars are better built in general. The Pros and X's are made in different factories iirc.

Some of that is my opinion, some of that is factual.

If you have the means to get a Pro Series, do it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE Thanks for that Just out of interest...what do you think about the Dinky Pro (3 Bolt on neck) ? It's £200 less but I'm not too sure about the 3 bolts! lol
Quote by fernandezstev
T00DEEPBLUE Thanks for that  Just out of interest...what do you think about the Dinky Pro (3 Bolt on neck) ? It's £200 less but I'm not too sure about the 3 bolts! lol

If there was anything structurally wrong with using 3 bolts, they wouldn't use it.

Many Fender Strats from the 70's and 80's had 3 bolt neck joints and they're still holding up just fine.

The Dinkys are a good value because they're made in the Mexican factory that builds the MIM Fender Strats. Which are known to be pretty darn consistently made considering the volume of guitars the factory produces. Whether you think the Soloists or the Dinkys are better is personal preference.

Plus they look like this.

Yummy.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE Nice guitar Sadly, I'm a lefty so for me I only get 2 color options Do you happen to know which neck is the thinnest between the dinky pro and soloist pro?
Quote by fernandezstev
T00DEEPBLUE Nice guitar  Sadly, I'm a lefty so for me I only get 2 color options  Do you happen to know which neck is the thinnest between the dinky pro and soloist pro?

All Jacksons made these days should have the same neck profile.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by fernandezstev
T00DEEPBLUE Are they similar to Ibanez wizard necks?

It depends on what Ibanez Wizard neck you're referring to. The Jacksons have a D profile that's marginally thicker than the Ibanez Wizard necks, but they're certainly not dissimilar. They're definitely thin superstrat shredder sorts of necks. Similar enough to the Wizards that I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think the more interesting difference in feel are the compound radius fretboards the Jacksons have.

Go play them at a store and see what you think. Even if you're left handed, you can at least grab a right-handed Jackson off the rack for a minute to see if the profile is something you could get used to.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE That's my biggest problems..I'm a lefty and you just cannot find them in stores so I cannot test them ...and it's why I'm doing so much research before spending any money... I've used Ibanez guitars for many years and also have a Jackson Stealth from the early 90's ... Super thin neck ... cheap hardware...pickups scream though and they are Jackson pickups ... This is it ... all out of the box -

I'm guessing the pro series should sound even better ... just guessing because the hardware is better than the Stealth Ex ... I've got an Ibanez 1570L Prestige too ... I want something better than that to have an my many guitar.

Thanks again for the amazing information...I really appreciate your time!
Last edited by fernandezstev at Mar 2, 2017,
I agree with T00DEEPBLUE
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I have a couple of the newer PROs as well as one SL3X.

The neck profile on the Dinky, while still thin, is probably one of the thickest Jackson necks I've played. Very much like the old Performer series necks. The SLX3 and SL2 I have, have the same neck profile. Thinner than the Dinky, but not as thin as the early 90's USA Jackson's.

As far as quality, I picked up the SL3X because I've always wanted a Pink SL1 and could never find one for under $2,500, and I put a cap of $1,500 for my guitars. It's just ridiculous to spend more than that on a USED guitar, much less new. But I digress, the SL3X was a decent guitar out of the box, but I literally played it for maybe 20 min before I tore it down and replaced EVERYTHING but the nut and tuners. It now is an excellent player.

The PRO series came very good from the factory. The MIM Dinky I believe takes home the win for overall quality between the 3. Idk if that's real, or in my mind however, especially between the two PROs. The Floyd-1000's have stayed in tune very well and haven't felt a need to replace them. No issues with any of them.
Xander_X Cool, that's really useful as you actual own the guitars. So are you saying you actually prefer the Pro Series Dinky DK2 to the Pro Series Soloist SL2 even though the Pro Series Dinky DK2 is £200 cheaper and has a strange 3 bolt on neck? And the Pro Series Dinky DK2 has a thicker neck too? I'm used to Wizard 2 necks so that might be a problem for me :/
Last edited by fernandezstev at Mar 2, 2017,
fernandezstev

I'm used to very thin necks as well. Like I said, the Dinky's neck is still pretty thin, just has a little bit more of a D shape to it than most of the other Jackson's I've owned through the years.

As far as preferring it to the SL2, I really think it's mental sometimes. Because it's made in Indonesia while the Dinky is MIM in a factory that's known to put out quality foreign made guitars. They play very similarly. The 3 bolt design for the neck may be new to Jackson, but it's nothing new at all in the guitar world. It's nothing you should be concerned with. Plus my Dinky came with Dunlap strap locks (which I LOVE), and my couple years older SL2 did not. IDK if the newer ones do or not.

Back to the neck on the Dinky, it's actually very comfortable and I really enjoy the satin finish on the back. Makes for a smooth glide while trying to pull off some faster rhythms. It's also not a HUGE difference between the Dinky and the Soloist. I mostly notice it when going from one of my late 80's early 90's USA made guitars that have REALLY thin profiles. But the Soloist is noticeably thinner, even if only a bit.

I would say, if you're going to be playing primarily Thrash or Modern metal, go with the soloist. Everything else, go with the Dinky.
Of those two definately the SL2 if price isn't an issue, avoid Floyd Specials and Duncan Designed

+1 for the MIM Dinky's and there should be no issues with 3 bolt neck or bolt on neck in general.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 2, 2017,
Xander_X I play 2 types of stuff ... I have an 80's Rock Tribute band, which covers all 80's Hair metal / Rock / Heavy metal (80) stuff ... and I also do my own thing which is instrumental guitar music (Joe Satriani, Vai, Gary moore type of music) ... Which guitar which you use for that of them if you could only use one of them?
Well it's hard ... this is the reason I have multiple guitars. I stopped collecting years ago and got rid of everything I didn't play. Each of my guitars are set up to play different styles of music optimally (at least to my ears).

BUT, if I had to pick one as a Jack-Of-All-Trades, it would be the Dinky.
I have a 2016 in orange. Its the same thing.

My SL2 is the quicksilver from 2013 I think
I played a dk2 recently. The maple fretboard doesn't play well with the sh4 pickup, it sounded a bit muddy and lacked punch. Replace the pickup and it's a killer axe, it feels great to play.

I don't know about the sl2, but the X series are not even coming close to what the pro series can give you.

It's worth the difference, get the pro!

Ps: don't worry about getting used to different necks, it will take less than an hour of playing and you'll be familiar with both necks
Last edited by ArturPr at Mar 3, 2017,
Makes me wonder if something was wrong with the one you played?

Granted my DK2 has an ebony board but ebony and maple have a closer to al characteristic than RW. And mine has a ton of punch, very clear, and sounds alive.

Also, its made in the same factory as the MIM fenders and most Charvels now. Both of which primarily use maple fretboards. So in a sense that's like saying all of those guitars lack punch and sound muddy. At least the Charvels because most of them all come with an SH-4 in the bridge.
Quote by Xander_X
Well it's hard ... this is the reason I have multiple guitars. I stopped collecting years ago and got rid of everything I didn't play. Each of my guitars are set up to play different styles of music optimally (at least to my ears).

BUT, if I had to pick one as a Jack-Of-All-Trades, it would be the Dinky.

I stopped collecting to but can't seem to get to a place where I can part with any of them.

+1 for the Dinky I have 3 of them all of the MIJ.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I don't know. I didn't like the sound, but that can be changed easily by installing a different pickup, to taste.

But the feel.... Amazing!
Guys, what about the Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas guitars? What do you guys think of them? Same price and the Dinky and made in Mexico
They're going to be the same quality as the Dinky and sound very similar. However, keep in mind that 99% of them are 22 fret, whereas most Jackson's are 24 fret. Personally I don't care for 22 fret. I can play it just fine, it just doesn't feel right to me because I've always played 24 fret.
Xander_X I personally don't have an issue with 22 or 24 frets as I'm used to both. What about the necks...which one is thinner...have you played the Charvel before?
Last edited by fernandezstev at Mar 3, 2017,
I actually haven't played a So Cal or San Dimas.

The older 80s Charvels had nice thin necks. I have a couple the the Desolation series that they discontinued a couple years ago. A DS-1 and a DS-2. THOSE have insanely thin necks.

But unfortunetaly, I can't speak on their current line up. They're known to have fast necks though so I'm sure they're fairly thin.
Pro Jacksons are lovely guitars. And personally, I'd always go with a neck-through if possible.
Unless we find out that indonesian made guitar a the same quality as the mexican ones, I'm currently between the Pro Dinky and the Charvel san dimas...here's a good demo:

I would think that the Dinky and Charvel San Dimas are pretty much the same. I think they are made in the same factory.

Again, getting used to a new neck is no big deal. If you bought a strat, you'd get used to its neck in a week
The Pro Dinky and the Charvel are both made in the same factory on the same production line. In terms of quality they're identical guitars. They just have slightly different specs.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Update: I tried the Jackson Pro Dinky and I found the neck a bit wide and a bit to much beef and rounded. I just didn't like the neck / I was shocked! I'm now having to decide between the Charvel Pro mod So cal and the San Dimas ...Necks are both the same (or so they tell me at the shop) ... so it's just the board and the pickups that's different 
If you think that's too thick then I doubt you're going to like the Charvels either.

Have you considered that the reason it feels too thick to you is because all you've ever known are the ridiculously thin Ibanez necks, therefore anything that is remotely different is going to feel totally foreign?

Next time you're at the store, pick up an Epi LP with a slimtaper 60's neck, bearing in mind that sort of neck thickness is considered to be average as most guitars go. You'll quickly realize that if you want to buy more than just Ibanez guitars, you might just have to get over the fact that the vast majority of necks are going to feel thicker than what you've always been used to.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE 

Agreed.  I always liked the look of LPs, never liked the necks until they came out with the Prophecy line.  

Like I said above, the DK2 is still thin, it's just not the thinnest.  My early 90's USA Jackson's have some seriously thin necks, but the DK2 is still definitely playable.  Takes me all of 30 sec to adapt to it after playing a neck comparable to the Wizard.

I also have a feeling that the Charvel's are going to have a very similar profile to the DK2.
Last edited by Xander_X at Mar 8, 2017,
Xander_X

Actually, I held them both! The DK2's neck just felt wrong, I just didn't like it at all...and that one was in my top of the list to purchase.

Then I held the Charvel San Dimas .. it wasn't as thin as the Ibanez wizard neck BUT it felt comfortable, so I think I'm going to go for the Charvel San Dimas 2016 and replace the Warren Demartini RTM pickup on the neck just to have a pickup that screams a bit more than the JB
Quote by fernandezstev
Xander_X

..... I'm left handed so they might even not make it /

Oh ... you're one of ..... those ..... people ....  
Page 1 of 2