Throughout my teenage years I've been predominantly an electric guitar player. Predominantly play Hard/Southern Rock and Metal (think more along the lines of being a wannabe Zakk Wylde hahaha). However, I have never owned an acoustic and am in the market for a solid acoustic within the budget in the thread title. I'm not too sure the difference in body styles in acoustics and differences in sound (if any)...but I am a fan of jumbo frets and fat necks! Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Quote by Tony Done
Have a look at Yamaha and Recording King, but there are a lot of good acoustics out there in your price range these days.

Yes ^ ^ ^ ^

When it comes to buying a guitar, it's hard to go wrong these days with $500 in your pocket. But I would recommend you spend some time in music stores playing lots of different guitars to fine one that you like.
I absolutely love my Taylor GS Mini if you're open to a mini guitar. nothing about it sounds small
If you slit my throat with my one last gasping breath I'd apologize for bleeding on your shirt

Add Seagull and Takamine to the short list of quality guitars in that price range.  Yamaha and RK are similar build quality and each has a little different tonal character.  One of these will surely satisfy.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Fun facts to consider about Taylor's new "Academy" series.

An Academy 10e (dread w/ electronics) carries the same MSRP of $798.00 as the 110e "Mexi-Taylor".

The Academy guitars, (steel strings anyway), are fairly short scale, 24 7/78" vs 25 1/2" on the 110. (The 24 7/8 is pretty close to a Les Paul's 24.3/4".

Taylor has finally included an onboard tuner in the electronics package.

In a rather bold, and perhaps scary design move, the Academy's top is completely unbound!

The A/E models net down to about $600.00, your choice 10e or 110e. The acoustic models would normally sell at $500.00.
Quote by mrfaiola72
...but I am a fan of jumbo frets and fat necks! Any recommendations would be appreciated!

You're unlikely to find jumbo frets on an acoustic, let alone on and entry level model. As for the necks, those are generally fairly substantial, if only for the fact they need to endure much higher string tension than your average electric. When you see, "slim necks" advertised on an acoustic, don't panic, the neck won't be anything like an Ibanez RG, or any electric of that ilk.
Quote by Tony Done
What does anyone think is the logic behind the "Academy" series? Not Mexi, different country of manufacture.

`Perhaps Because Trump isn't planning to build a wall between the US and Indonesia?  
Quote by Tony Done
Captaincranky

I had a typo, the second sentence was supposed to be a question, not a statement. We've had enough disinformation around here recently.  

Whaddya mean, "disinformation"? Trump isn't building a wall between the US and either China, or Indonesia. Mexico was "selected" for that "privilege".

However, Guitar Center is claiming they're "MiM". You just grind  45 degree angle on the top lower bout of your basic 1xx, and forget to put binding around the top and "wah-lah" you have an "Academy"!
Captaincranky 

I was only thinking of you indirectly re "disinformation". We put a lot of diplomatic effort into peaceful co-existence with Indonesia. 

Those arm rest thingies are getting popular, some of my mate's importer brand have them. My opinion of them is neutral, since I've never had any ergonomic problems with that kind of thing.
Last edited by Tony Done at Mar 13, 2017,
I've liked the beveled top on the guitars I've played which have had them, but those were also very expensive guitars. I'm glad to see that they're getting more popular, as I think they are rather functional and aesthetically pleasing as well. 
My God, it's full of stars!
Tony Done  Don't mind me Tony, I'm  just trying to be my fun loving, enigmatic, carefree self, in the face of adversity.

Besides, I've deeply enjoy the entirety of this thread.   Shoveling shit into a FUD storm, in an odd way, relaxes me........er, eventually, like after I stop.  

Hey maybe they'll get big strong Mexicans  to hurl those darned Mexi-Taylors across El Rio Grande. Using military drones to deliver them would, I fear, be cost prohibitive...

I can see it now, guitarists of little means relentlessly picketing outside The White House, clamoring for their Mexi-Taylors.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 13, 2017,
Dreadnought 

The ones my mate is selling are Chinese, more than a few hundred dollars, less than Mexi Taylors. He also has bevel top ukes that looked very pretty. I know this sounds biased, but I've been impressed with many of the guitars I've tried. He reckons it could be the same factory that makes Yamaha.
Tony Done 

Kevin Ryan of Ryan guitars has done some absolutely beautiful work with them, and I think his instruments are where I was first turned on to them. Something that I'm fairly certain he innovated is locating soundports on the higher portion of the bevel, so they aren't covered by the player's arm:

Quote by Tony Done
You reminded me Kevin's work from way back, but I would have to sell my house to buy one of his.

Maybe we should have a thread on very high end luthiers, but even they don't compare in price to some orchestral instruments.

Not a bad idea. I'll be moving to a location a few hours away from the famous Dream Guitars, but I haven't played too many luthiers' guitars. At least, I haven't been doing a good job of remembering the ones I have played

My next crazy expensive acoustic purchase will probably be a commission from Stephen Sheriff (of Edwinson.)
Dreadnought 

Living in the back blocks of Oz, I've never even seen one of those famous high end makes, never mind played one. The limit is my Bourgeois and a Collings, plus a few nice ones from the Maton  custom shop. Maybe ignorance is bliss. If I lived within driving distance of Dream Guitars, I think that I would be going over there regularly, though I haven't had serious GAS for a many years now.
Tony Done 

I hear ya, I don't have a particular acoustic GAS either, but I can't help but get excited and appreciative of the instruments that he puts out

That's his latest model, and it's different enough (although I'd probably get a larger body size since my current one fits any 000 size or similar I could want) to ostensibly justify me getting one. I also love the "omega" headstock.

Luckily his guitars do not approach Somogyi or Ryan prices, so I can still get a lifetime amazing instrument and work of art for < $10k
Quote by Captaincranky
Tony Done  Don't mind me Tony, I'm  just trying to be my fun loving, enigmatic, carefree self, in the face of adversity.

Besides, I've deeply enjoy the entirety of this thread.   Shoveling shit into a FUD storm, in an odd way, relaxes me........er, eventually, like after I stop.  

Hey maybe they'll get big strong Mexicans  to hurl those darned Mexi-Taylors across El Rio Grande. Using military drones to deliver them would, I fear, be cost prohibitive...

I can see it now, guitarists of little means relentlessly picketing outside The White House, clamoring for their Mexi-Taylors.

I imagine you'll be at the front of the demonstration holding the largest mexican flag and sign demanding your right to be import them.  But it could only take place on a weekend during a furlough...
Last edited by transwarp at Mar 14, 2017,
For $495 right now you can buy an all solid Luna ART NOUVEAU w/spruce top and rosewood back and sides, acoustic-electric. I should be getting mine in a couple days. It's a grand auditoruim model, and there's no place else you can touch a new, solid rosewood and spruce acoustic-electric for that kind of money. Amazon and someplace else I checked, maybe Musician's Friend, both have them for that, marked down $100. I just love a great deal on a guitar!