So I'm pretty sold on these. I bought a set of Stagg strap locks and stuck them on a cheap bass I picked up. I'm fairly happy with how they've turned out. With that said, ultimately if I put them on all my guitars, I'd like them to match so I can use my straps interchangeably. After some brief research, three local stores carry both Ernie Ball and Schaller strap locks (Fender as well, but not in black so nope), as well as one of them has the Stagg I already bought. From the pictures I've seen Stagg and Schaller look remarkably similar, while the Ernie Ball look unique, I'm not a fan of the big logo right on 'em.

My questions are:
Is there a "best" strap lock? Why is it the best strap lock? Is it worth spending three times the amount per unit? Am I just brand whoring at the end of the day? Et cetera.

As a follow up, any opinions about putting glue into the screw hole or on the screw of the strap lock would be appreciated.

Thanks.
As far as i know, there are two styles of straplocks:

Schaller type:

And the Dunlop type:

All the others i have seen are some kind of knockoff of those two types (the fender and stagg ones are basicly schaller type, and the eb one is dunlop). I prefer the schaller ones, since they seem more bulletproof to me, and i once had a guitar fall down because a dunlop straplock wasnt in place correctly. With dunlop ones you can still use regular straps on the guitar tho, but with challer ones its pretty much impossible, because the buttons are so small. I still use schaller ones, because i have them on all my guitars and straps, so there is no need for normal strap buttons. Both are good tho, you just gotta make sure they click correctly. And i would just go with the original brand, not some knockoff.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
My preference are the Dunlop ones because the nuts on the top of the Schaller locks can work loose and begin backing themselves out, If they get loose enough to fall off, the guitar says hello to the floor. The nuts need loctiting in. The Dunlop ones are locked into the strap with grooved circlips made out of spring steel, which prevents that from ever happening.

As long as the button in the middle of the Dunlop locks has sprung upwards again when you put on the strap, nothing will work itself loose. They lock into the buttons using little ball bearings, but the bearings themselves are heat treated which makes them very tough. The Dunlop ones don't squeak when you rotate the straplocks around the button either. And the buttons themselves on the Dunlop ones retain non-locking straps better than the Schallers do.

The Schaller ones are still great, you just need to make it a habit of checking the nuts are tight every so often.

All my guitars use Dunlop straplocks so I can use all my straps on all my guitars. For this reason, when you buy a set of straplocks, you need to buy from one brand and stick with that brand. But it is not worth buying the cheaper knockoff straplocks. They're made from worse materials than the Dunlops and Schallers so they're just not as durable.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE
I've always used Schaller ones and a few months ago I experimentally applied Loctite to mine to see if it would keep the nut on and so far that's worked perfectly (although I did gum up the pin a tad ). But yeah it's an issue I'd prefer not to exist in the first place.

But yeah, to OP I would say the most important thing is whichever type you get don't get a knock-off, because you never know what kind of corners were cut.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
thats true, about the nuts coming loose. But i just have a habbit of tightening them every time i put on the guitar.

As far as dunlop goes, i once managed to somehow kick out one of those bearings. It still works, but its making me uneasy. Im not very gentle with my guitars, and knowing that the only thing holding the guitar up is a small spring and 4 1mm bearings is just making me nervous
Quote by gorkyporky
thats true, about the nuts coming loose. But i just have a habbit of tightening them every time i put on the guitar.
As far as dunlop goes, i once managed to somehow kick out one of those bearings. It still works, but its making me uneasy. Im not very gentle with my guitars, and knowing that the only thing holding the guitar up is a small spring and 4 1mm bearings is just making me nervous

Interestingly Jim Dunlop claim on the box that despite the bearings being really small, the fact they're hardened means they can take loads of up to 800lbs without failing. Unless you're Rick Nielsen and you're playing a Norlin Les Paul that has 80 necks on it, you're probably okay.

At the very least, your guitar strap will likely rip itself in half before the straplocks fail. Or the wood screws that attach the strap buttons to the guitar will shear off.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
My favourite for a long time is Loxx. They're very small and a bit fiddly to install but they function very well and I think are more sturdy than all the other brands such as Schaller, EB, and Dunlop.
Green locktite is real thin and wicks into threads that are already assembled. Grab a tube, wick it into any Schallers you have and calm your worries. Been suing Schallers since the early 90s and never had an issue.
Quote by Jeffh40
Been suing Schallers since the early 90s and never had an issue.
Must be real profitable for you then

But yeah Loctite is the solution.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I use Schallers on all my guitars. They just work and make it so I can use any of my guitar straps on any guitar. I now use Loctite to keep them from getting loose. Before I bought Loctite I used clear nail polish that I dabbed over the nut. That worked OK for years. It also allows you to remove the nail polish easily with acetone if you want to take it off.

One thing I would warn is that the Schaller type strap locks sold in bulk on Ebay are knock offs that are not compatible with real Schaller strap locks. They are slightly different sized and even though they work OK they are not interchangeable with the real thing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I have schallers on 20 guitars. you can buy just the pin sets from stewmac in bulk.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Interestingly Jim Dunlop claim on the box that despite the bearings being really small, the fact they're hardened means they can take loads of up to 800lbs without failing. Unless you're Rick Nielsen and you're playing a Norlin Les Paul that has 80 necks on it, you're probably okay.

At the very least, your guitar strap will likely rip itself in half before the straplocks fail. Or the wood screws that attach the strap buttons to the guitar will shear off.

Yeah, i actually pulled the screw out one time, and the locks were still holding. Dunlop ones that is. SO i dunno, its just me being weird I did loose one of the bearings tho, i still dunno how that happened. And they dropped my guitar once, but yeah, thats probably because i didnt lock them in properly.
Whichever you decide, just get some. Don't let this be you!

Notice Brian Wampler (of Wampler pedals) damage his very expensive Stratocaster. We all make mistakes, even those who have years of experience. Three minutes, 4 seconds.
Last edited by GoldJim at Mar 3, 2017,
I appreciate all the info and advice. Basically what I've got from this thread is Dunlop OR Schaller, nothing else. It seems like they're both very reliable. It'll probably come down to me standing in the store and impulse deciding there. Thanks y'all.