Hello, I am new to these forums. I have a question about Floyd Rose's I bought a PRS SE Floyd and I love it, but I would like to swap out the Floyd Rose for a low profile Floyd Rose. I believe it has an Original Floyd Rose made in Germany, so I was looking at swapping it for a Floyd 1000 pro. Normally I would have went ahead with the swap, but everywhere I look, I keep hearing people recommending the original over any other. Can someone tell me why is this?
I palm mute a lot and plan on making this guitar my main so the tuning stubs have to get lowered somehow. I don't mind spending the money to swap them out as long as it's comfortable but is there something wrong with the Floyd 1000 Pro that I should know about? Is it weak metal and the knife edges will dull out easily? Does it lack tuning stability? Does it not have any upgrades? I did notice that there wasn't a replacement base plate and there is one for the original, unless I am looking in wrong spot (I am using the Floyd Rose website floydrose.com).
If getting the 1000 pro a bad idea, is there something else that is low profile and will get the job done? What would be the difference other than it being a low profile?

Thank you.
Last edited by ATorres77 at Mar 3, 2017,
I used FR1000 For2 years. It's always stay in tuned after change strings for couple day.

I recheck tuning everyweek becaz of sometime when I play my hand touch finetune knob.And I found it's slightly out of tune.

Overall, I'm satisfied in FR1000.

In FR special or License by FR,Some piece is quite ok some piece is not , so take you own risk to pick that haha

If U want to change it ,I suggest U to look at Gotoh GE1996T more than Ori FR.
Gotoh has something easy to use arm more FR and Yes They build it strong and stay in tuned too.
Last edited by xsefiroth at Mar 3, 2017,
The PRS SE's come with the Korean-made Floyd Rose 1000 bridges. No SE comes stock with a German-made OFR.

The FR1000 is an OEM factory bridge that regular consumers cannot typically buy in retail. Regular consumers can only buy the German-made OFR. 

You need to bear in mind that the low profile floyds have a narrower string spacing than regular Floyds. That by itself isn't really a problem, but it'll affect the way the guitar feels in a way that you might not necessarily like.

Objectively the FR1000's are similar in terms of materials to the German bridges so that's an awful lot of money to spend for a very marginal improvement. I think the real problem you have with hitting the fine tuners with your hand when palm muting is an issue with your technique and not a problem with the design of the bridge itself. Fix the problem with your technique first before considering if the great expense of getting a new bridge is worthwhile.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The PRS SE's come with the Korean-made Floyd Rose 1000 bridges. No SE comes stock with a German-made OFR.

The FR1000 is an OEM factory bridge that regular consumers cannot typically buy in retail. Regular consumers can only buy the German-made OFR.

You need to bear in mind that the low profile floyds have a narrower string spacing than regular Floyds. That by itself isn't really a problem, but it'll affect the way the guitar feels in a way that you might not necessarily like.

Objectively the FR1000's are similar in terms of materials to the German bridges so that's an awful lot of money to spend for a very marginal improvement. I think the real problem you have with hitting the fine tuners with your hand when palm muting is an issue with your technique and not a problem with the design of the bridge itself. Fix the problem with your technique first before considering if the great expense of getting a new bridge is worthwhile.

Thank you for clarifying that the Floyd Rose is Korean made. I noticed that the string spacing on the Korean Floyd 1000 pro is the same as the Original Floyd Rose (as far as the description points out) but I'll have to do more research as far as if it's the same as the Korean 1000 that is on the PRS SE.

As far as technique, I'm open to the fact that I may have to fix my technique, but I have gotten use to guitars with standard floating tremolos and I am extremely comfortable playing nearly anything on them. I know replacing the floyd would be expensive but honestly, for now, I don't want to have to deal with the tuners being in the way, especially when playing live.

I can however palm mute on this Floyd but the problem lies when I palm mute the higher strings (B & E... maybe even G). I'll sometimes put on a dotted eighth delay and play around with some palm muted notes on a cleaner setting. That's when I notice the tuners really get in the way. I think most people who play Floyds chug those lower strings (or maybe that's just a misconception in my own head). My upper notes don't go sharp or anything, but I find that I am trying to compensate for those tuners being in the way and as a result, the note being played just doesn't mix well with the rest of the notes that I play.

For that reason, I wouldn't mind spending the extra money, but if you say the higher strings should be possible to get a nice palm mute I'll see what I can do about working around it.
Last edited by ATorres77 at Mar 3, 2017,
Check the measurements of the Low Profile PRO model. I believe they are different than the OFR (1000 series in this case).

I've never heard of them being a direct swap in for each other.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by xsefiroth
I used FR1000 For2 years. It's always stay in tuned after change strings for couple day.

I recheck tuning everyweek becaz of sometime when I play my hand touch finetune knob.And I found it's slightly out of tune.

Overall, I'm satisfied in FR1000.

In FR special or License by FR,Some piece is quite ok some piece is not , so take you own risk to pick that haha

If U want to change it ,I suggest U to look at Gotoh GE1996T more than Ori FR.
Gotoh has something easy to use arm more FR and Yes They build it strong and stay in tuned too.

I heard Gotohs are good. I haven't looked into them but I may end up looking around for a Gotoh. Hopefully I can find one what will fit in my PRS.

Quote by metalmingee
Check the measurements of the Low Profile PRO model. I believe they are different than the OFR (1000 series in this case).

I've never heard of them being a direct swap in for each other.

Alright thanks. Looks like I'll do some more digging to find a good fit. I'll keep you guys posted.
^ the gotohs are good but they feel slightly different from a floyd. but similar idea.

the studs might be marginally bigger, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guys, isn't there a way I can figure out what fits what? Do I have look for the measurements of each trem system? Is there a site that has some sort of guide line I can follow as to which trems fit what? I can verify the measurements myself afterwards but it would save a lot of time if I can eliminate what doesn't fit.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the gotohs are good but they feel slightly different from a floyd. but similar idea.

the studs might be marginally bigger, too.

May I ask how they feel different? Are they stiffer, more sensitive, or something else maybe? Do they sound different? Also I took a look at the Gotoh website and I only see the GE1996T ( http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/ge1996t.html ). Is this all they have. I know Gotoh's are popular but I thought there was more of a selection. Also why is there a round knife edge and a flat one?

This is just fustrating because there aren't many shops around with double locking trem systems and even if they have them, the bar is mysteriously missing, or the dang thing doesn't stay in tune for whatever reason! Even Guitar Center is guilty of this. They have like 3 guitars with Floyds, so I have to go by research and videos and such.
Last edited by ATorres77 at Mar 4, 2017,
Quote by diabolical
Time to consult a luthier. If you can't find someone to talk to locally, try one of the Premier Guitar or Guitar World techs.
This dude maybe?
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/How_to_Set_Up_a_Floyd_Rose_Style_Trem

Thanks, I do have a local luthier but I was hoping to dig up some answers by myself and use him as a last resort. I might just give him a call sometime next week.
Quote by ATorres77
Guys, isn't there a way I can figure out what fits what? Do I have look for the measurements of each trem system? Is there a site that has some sort of guide line I can follow as to which trems fit what? I can verify the measurements myself afterwards but it would save a lot of time if I can eliminate what doesn't fit.

May I ask how they feel different? Are they stiffer, more sensitive, or something else maybe? Do they sound different? Also I took a look at the Gotoh website and I only see the GE1996T ( http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/ge1996t.html ). Is this all they have. I know Gotoh's are popular but I thought there was more of a selection. Also why is there a round knife edge and a flat one?

This is just fustrating because there aren't many shops around with double locking trem systems and even if they have them, the bar is mysteriously missing, or the dang thing doesn't stay in tune for whatever reason! Even Guitar Center is guilty of this. They have like 3 guitars with Floyds, so I have to go by research and videos and such.

Yeah. Floyd Rose, Gotoh and Schaller should have routing templates on their websites (at least they did last time I looked). Then it's a lot of measuring, as you said...

It's very hard to say regarding the difference, since they're in different guitars (so the guitars, and the setup, could well be affecting things). In my experience and opinion (which are totally limited by what I said before, so bear that in mind) the Gotohs feel a bit stiffer, and sound a bit more modern (less bright/darker/deeper-sounding).

However, you could possibly affect the stiffness by using different springs. I haven't tried that, though.

And yeah absolutely, I agree with you regarding the shops. I remember when I was starting to play, I wanted a double locking trem, and I asked if I could have the bar so I could try the trem, and they sort of looked at me like I had 3 heads. If you ask me that's a perfectly valid thing to want to check, knowing how many crappy floyds exist (and more existed back then as the FRT-x000 hadn't come out then). I think they take the bars off because people muck about on them and break strings, or else just flat-out steal them. I mean, I sympathise, but at the same time genuine customers are getting rooked out of trying the thing properly, and apparently they don't sympathise with that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 5, 2017,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. Floyd Rose, Gotoh and Schaller should have routing templates on their websites (at least they did last time I looked). Then it's a lot of measuring, as you said...

It's very hard to say regarding the difference, since they're in different guitars (so the guitars, and the setup, could well be affecting things). In my experience and opinion (which are totally limited by what I said before, so bear that in mind) the Gotohs feel a bit stiffer, and sound a bit more modern (less bright/darker/deeper-sounding).

However, you could possibly affect the stiffness by using different springs. I haven't tried that, though.

And yeah absolutely, I agree with you regarding the shops. I remember when I was starting to play, I wanted a double locking trem, and I asked if I could have the bar so I could try the trem, and they sort of looked at me like I had 3 heads. If you ask me that's a perfectly valid thing to want to check, knowing how many crappy floyds exist (and more existed back then as the FRT-x000 hadn't come out then). I think they take the bars off because people muck about on them and break strings, or else just flat-out steal them. I mean, I sympathise, but at the same time genuine customers are getting rooked out of trying the thing properly, and apparently they don't sympathise with that.

I know! It's ridiculous. How do they expect to sell those guitars if they aren't going let people try out the features they were made for! Before I bought the PRS I bought an Ibanez RG. I played it in store and thought it felt nice to play on. My left hand fingers pretty much flew over the fret board. The dang thing did not have a bar though. The store clerks went and looked around and found a bar from another guitar that was not the right fit, but at least went in the hole.

I ended up buying the thing, went home, took a piece of cleaning cloth (like the kind you clean glasses with or get when you buy some guitars), put the cloth over the hole and jammed the whammy bar in with the cloth. Solved!! lol!! The thing was as stiff as could be. It felt great, but the problem was that when I would pull up on the bar, the guitar would go sharp, and when diving, it would go flat. I liked the guitar and the pickups sounded really nice, but I decided it wasn't the sound I was going for. Also I started to realize that I was not use to flat top guitars at all. I found myself missing the strings when picking (I use very little bit of an already small pick to attack the strings so this left a challenge).

I'm a PRS guy so I decided that it wasn't worth getting use to playing the guitar and swapping pickups and possibly changing the trem. I had the guitar for about 2 days and took it back. I felt bad about buying the guitar and taking it back but they took it back no problem. I felt that it was a very good guitar for what I spent, but I didn't want to deal with it's problems knowing I didn't like the way it felt. I'm going off in a tangent, but the point is, how am I suppose to know how the quality of a trem is if I can't try it? Granted it wasn't their fault, they legit didn't have one, but this is a very common problem that needs some sort of solution other than "Don't let the costumers have the bar".

While we are on the subject, Anyone have any ideas? Could this have been worn out knife edges? I tried lubing them but that didn't work. I didn't feel like taking the thing off to check if they were dull though. Are there other reason this could happen? Just curious since I need to know what to expect down the road with my PRS.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, I did notice that the Floyd in the PRS is pretty stiff in terms of how it feels when I dive or pull up on it. Doing crazy dive bombs and stuff feels like a workout haha!. I might like it like that but I was wondering about messing around with ways to adjust that. Would I have to change springs or something? I might like it the way it is but I'd like to experiment with different settings.
Last edited by ATorres77 at Mar 5, 2017,
^ I'm not sure about the sharp/flat thing. It could be knife edges but it could also be setup (or maybe something else, i'm not that well up on setups).

The stiffness is also affected by the number of springs (in addition to the type of spring)- it's possible the PRS maybe had an extra spring?

And yeah I agree with you regarding the trem- too many fixes in guitar shops (and really in shops in general) are fixes for the shop, not the customer. I'd say you're absolutely entitled to want to try the trem on any guitar, but as you said, on a floyd guitar it's really important indeed. It's the type of piece of gear where you're almost buying it for that feature, so you want to be sure it works how you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, most US shops have a 30 day return policy so trying the trem at home is usually not a problem. I've even had pawn shops give me a week on returns when I explained to them that the guitar needs to be properly setup to play. I've returned a few.
Here they absolutely don't. Unless you buy online or mail order/over the phone, all in-store sales are generally final. In fact I've seen shops here with that very thing written on signs on the wall.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by diabolical
Well, most US shops have a 30 day return policy so trying the trem at home is usually not a problem. I've even had pawn shops give me a week on returns when I explained to them that the guitar needs to be properly setup to play. I've returned a few.

I guess that's a fair point but then you have to worry about getting the right bar which might have to be ordered online. Do family businesses always have return policies? I don't know all the ins and outs. I suppose you could always argue your way through. I've had to do that one with Guitar Center unfortunately. I've personalty always hated the idea of returning something. I'm probably making it a big deal in my own mind but I don't really like asking for my money back after doing business with someone and being all like "nope! changed my mind" lol. That's why I felt bad returning the RG but I guess that's what return policies are for.
^ that's certainly worth bearing in mind- just because someone has a return policy doesn't mean, after the fact, they'll be easy to deal with. 

I'd be inclined to be wary about smaller mom-and-pop stores, too, unless they specifically say up front that they have a return policy.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In case anyone is wondering, I think I may just leave my Floyd Rose in the guitar and just deal with it for now. I find that I am figure out how to play with it being there. I do intend on getting a guitar made in the future sometime, and maybe then I'll go lo-pro. That being said, I think I'm going to post a new thread with a new question.