Of course going out to Guitar center myself and trying one out is the best way, but I figured I can see what people think of it here. I've been wanting to find a good 7 string because I like the drop A tuning, not only for djent, but there's a bit more I can do on a 7 string. I've been doing a little used shopping and found a PRS se custom 24 7 string for 400 bucks which looks like a gorgeous guitar but I do intend to play some djent riffs on it and PRS stock pups aren't exactly the best for distortion.

My budget, being my first 7 string I would say 800 would be about the price I would spend. If anyone here plays with some OD on a 7 string and can share what guitars they use I would appreciate that a lot. I've been looking at some Schecters too which seem nice
As far as pickups are concerned they can easily be swapped, however IIRC the PRS has a 25" scale length and might not be the best for down tuning. I used to have a schecter banshee (26.5") scale length and it was a great 7 string. I will eventually go after another one.
800 is a pretty decent budget, you might be able to look at some of the kiesel/carvin models.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Hardtail if it's your firsthand you want to experiment with timings.

I'm a big fan of ibanez. The rgdix7 is fantastic and the long scale is great for a seven

The rgix7 and the six7 are both very good too for a normal scale.

The schecter bashees and km are a bit more. I haven't played them but I hear they are ok.

The Jackson pro series ht7 would be my pick but it's a little over budget.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
bobafettacheese Thanks man. You know, I've seen a lot of vids on Kiesels and whatnot and although I have no played on they look like amazing guitars. The only issue is, I don't know anyone that has one or where I'd be able to try one out. They do seem amazing though
The Kiesels would be out budget unless you found a very lightly optioned used one. Although not by much. There are a couple of seven string cadets on reverb right now
AcousticMirror I'm going to take your advice and test out some of those Ibanez' at GC. Ibanez doesn't really make bad guitars unless they're geos. I normally don't mind going a liiitle over budget but again, I don't know how much I'm going to like that 7th string. It'd def be a wider neck I'd assume so I'd need to get used to playing it
It's not that much wider and they come in different widths. The iron labels are ok. There are definitely wider ones.

The dimarzios used in some of the iron labels are much better then the ibanez branded pickups they used to use. Not the best but definitely usable.

The Jackson should be good too.
If GC is your only source of 7-string guitars, you may miss out on quite a bit.
RondoMusic dot com has a really wide variety of ERGs including 7, 8, 9 and even 10-string guitars (when they're in stock), with 25.5", 27", 28.65" and even 30" scales, as well as multi-scale (fan-fret) guitars, and some of them have become mainstays among the extended range user crowd. It's worth watching Craigs, eBay and even the used bins at GC.

For example, I just poked around Used Gear on the GC website and located an Agile AL-727 in Clackamus, Oregon. They'd mislabeled it a 3110, but it was one of a short series of LP-bodied (!) 7-strings with a 24-fret, 14" radius, ebony fretboard, jumbo fret, 27" scale guitars in red with a dark-dyed quilt top and single-layer red binding. It was used, missing a truss rod cover and with a couple of dings. When it was shipped down to my store in Pasadena, it received another ding on the top of the headstock. That was the bad news. The good news was that the previous owner had swapped in a Seymour Duncan Nazgul bridge pickup. In the end the all-up price was just over $200. http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3000727EBtribalred.HTML

But you can make use of gc's infinute gear testing program as long as shipping doesn't bankrupt you
Quote by AcousticMirror
But you can make use of gc's infinute gear testing program as long as shipping doesn't bankrupt you

This is one of the reasons I don't buy new guitars off GC's wall, nor will I buy a new guitar unless it arrives at the store in the original packaging, untouched by GC hands. I watched a guy pull a strat off the wall, downtune it about three steps (I think the strings were nearly sagging off to the side), wank on it for a few minutes and then put it back. He did that with four guitars and then wandered out. Shipping is another trauma. Aside from the guitar above (the red one) that was shipped between GC's and arrived with a headstock ding, I've seen at least five guitars go through the hands of the Clowns In The Back Room and arrive at their destination dinged or broken.
dspellman Thanks man, that's a great looking guitar so I'll do some searching on rondo as well. If I may ask, what is your store? I'm from SoCal myself. You can pm me it if you'd like