Hi, I have an amp that doesn't have an fx loop. If I put a delay pedal (BOSS DD7) in front of it, while using the amp's distortion channel, is that equivalent to say using an amp on a clean setting and putting a distortion pedal (BOSS DS-1) after my delay pedal in the chain?

From what I heard, dirt pedals usually go before delay/verb so it seems like this is a bad idea. Second question, if this happens to be the case, then what should I do about my delay pedals placement when using the distortion channel on my amp (that doesn't have a FX)?

Thank you.
If you put your delay before the amp then you're going to be distorting the delays, this will create an entirely different effect to the clean/spacious delay sound you would have if you put it in the loop (aka between pre-amp and poweramp). So yes it's the same as you putting a Delay before a Distortion pedal. There is no way around this, in the old days in professional setups people would put the delay after the microphone signal being used to pick up the amp, for recording or live use.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 3, 2017,
Bigbazz

Thanks for the response. Is there any remedy to this or am I just screwed with this current amp? (Not a big deal as it's just my bedroom practice amp)
Quote by TheRevelation
Bigbazz

Thanks for the response. Is there any remedy to this or am I just screwed with this current amp? (Not a big deal as it's just my bedroom practice amp)

Mic it up and run the signal into a delay pedal which then goes into a secondary amplifcation system, such as your PC speakers/headphones, otherwise not much.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
Mic it up and run the signal into a delay pedal which then goes into a secondary amplifcation system, such as your PC speakers/headphones, otherwise not much.

Interesting idea. Thank you!
Alternatively, use the distortion in front of the delay into the clean channel, if the pedal alone can get enough gain for your purposes. Worth a try, at least. Or you could minimize the issue as much as possible by turning the gain on the DS-1 way up and reducing the distortion from the amp. 
You may be able to get a passable effect by running a distorted signal into a delay unit, but in my experience this only works with pretty conservative delay settings. Keep the repeats to a minimum and if there's a low-cut adjustment on the pedal, use it. The problem with more intense delay settings is that all those repeats then get distorted and start to stack up and pretty soon you'll just have a wall of muddy noise. It also helps to not run too much gain on the amp in these cases. The delay effect itself may actually increase the perceived gain in your tone.

Anyway, plenty of famous songs were recorded with a delay pedal feeding into distortion-- but it takes some tweaking and there are limits to what you can do. If huge, cavernous delays and reverbs are super important to your music, you'd probably be happier with an amp that can run them in an effects loop.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
i've run my delay in front of the amp and in the loop. both work fine. if you run the delay in front of a dirty amp then you just have to take more care in how its' set up.