I think this might be in the correct forum, but I have a history of screwing it up, so maybe not. This isn't necessarily about delay pedals, as much as effects used for a genre (maybe in Gear & Accessories?)

Anyways, I have a standard digitsl delay pedal, and it works perfectly fine as a delay, or mudulated delay. I've tried using it for metal, but it just makes the notes all undefined. Or is that the entire point? I don't really understand why it's used, although I mostly play thrash or classic metal when I do play metal. Is it just bad for those genres? Am I using it wrong? Why does it just sound so wrong to me?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Its for the solos man. I wouldn't use it for thrash, thats all about speed and tightness, a delay is just going to get in the way. Not sure what you mean by classic metal (like, Priest or Sabbath or...) but I can't say that delay played a big part in the metal sound back in the 70s...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
By classic I do mean Sabbath, and maybe some Beatles (they made a couple metsl songs). Maybe some other things of the time. I don't know what sub-genre Sabbath would be.

So its mostly used for solos to some types of metal. That's cool. What sub-genres does it usually get used in?

I mean, I guess it's understandable for thrash. I did try and make it as subtle as posible (volume almost al the way down). It just didn't work.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Quote by dementiacaptain
Its for the solos man. I wouldn't use it for thrash, thats all about speed and tightness, a delay is just going to get in the way. Not sure what you mean by classic metal (like, Priest or Sabbath or...) but I can't say that delay played a big part in the metal sound back in the 70s...

agree about the solo thing but 70s metal certainly used a delay pretty regularly. the trick in using a delay for metal solos is to use a fairly short delay time and turn the mix down so the delay doesn't overtake the original note. this gives the notes some depth and keeps them from mushing.
Quote by monwobobbo
agree about the solo thing but 70s metal certainly used a delay pretty regularly. the trick in using a delay for metal solos is to use a fairly short delay time and turn the mix down so the delay doesn't overtake the original note. this gives the notes some depth and keeps them from mushing.

Yeah, that's what I tried to do. Any examples of bands that did this pretty often? I'm not doubting you, just currious.

Quote by gogiregion
Yeah, that's what I tried to do. Any examples of bands that did this pretty often? I'm not doubting you, just currious.

well most of them. ok check out the Megadeth song Sweating Bullets. all the solos and fills have a touch of delay in them. this is what i'm talking about. it's low in the mix compared to the dry signal but is there. you don't necessarily notice it without really listening but you would notice if it was suddenly gone. i use that for my own songs (in link in profile.
Quote by monwobobbo
well most of them. ok check out the Megadeth song Sweating Bullets. all the solos and fills have a touch of delay in them. this is what i'm talking about. it's low in the mix compared to the dry signal but is there. you don't necessarily notice it without really listening but you would notice if it was suddenly gone. i use that for my own songs (in link in profile.

Thanks. That good to know. I'll make sure that if I do play Megadeath or something similar I'll use delay on the solos.

Quote by gogiregion
Thanks. That good to know. I'll make sure that if I do play Megadeath or something similar I'll use delay on the solos.

no law saying you have to but it is a common practice for electric guitar. like many things it takes some time and experimentation to get the most out of a delay. it is easy to overdue it and make a mess. spend some time and you may be suprised at what you come up with.
Tony Iommi uses a lot of delay on his solos live.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
Tony Iommi uses a lot of delay on his solos live.

That's really good to know, since I play a lot of Sabbath.

Quote by gogiregion
That's really good to know, since I play a lot of Sabbath.

Listen to the Live Evil album...tons of delay on that, and most excellent tone.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
gogiregion

1) use it for single note lead lines - solos, harmonies etc. It helps smooth out the tone and make it less harsh.

2) you need to run it in your amp's FX loop if you're using your amp's distortion, otherwise it will sound like a mess.

3) the delay should be mixed low enough that it's not interfering with the notes you play, but simply providing ambience. Set your feedback to about 3 to 5 repeats and set the delay time to quarter notes ( either tap the tempo or you can use a delay calculator app - enter the bpm of the song and it will give you the value in ms). People like Guthrie Govan set theirs to a pretty fast repeat, almost a slap back, and it works well. Research how Pettrucci uses his delays and Satriani as well.

Not every solo or song needs delay. For really fast solos, it doesn't always work.
Quote by reverb66
gogiregion

1) use it for single note lead lines - solos, harmonies etc. It helps smooth out the tone and make it less harsh.

2) you need to run it in your  amp's FX loop if you're using your amp's distortion, otherwise it will sound like a mess.

3) the delay should be mixed low enough that it's not interfering with the notes you play, but simply providing ambience.  Set your feedback to about 3 to 5 repeats and set the delay time to quarter notes ( either tap the tempo or you can use a delay calculator app - enter the bpm of the song and it will give you the value in ms).  People like Guthrie Govan set theirs to a pretty fast repeat, almost a slap back, and it works well. Research how Pettrucci uses his delays and Satriani as well.

Not every solo or song needs delay. For really fast solos, it doesn't always work.

1) That's what I did

2) I don't have an effects loop, so maybe that's part of the problem

3)That's what I did

i guess delay pedals just might not work with any amp that doesn have an effects loop, or maybe the songs I've been playing just don't like delay. 

On a side note, with a bit of work, I've gotten it to work well on War Pigs by black Sabbath (only one I've tried it on), and forgot about it before I posted anything. I mean, It's okay. I prefer it without the delay, but it does add a cool effect to the song.