Is there such a thing as a noiseless, or at least close, P-90 pickup? I love the sound of P-90s, but the noise might be a problem.

On a side note, are there any good P-90s that would fit in a strat? Maybe noise canceling, if they exist?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
The best noise-free P90's come from Kinman. By "best," I mean those most closely sounding like a vintage Gibson P90. There are others who make noiseless P90's out there.

The Variax guitars also model P90 guitars and are noiseless, as they are with all the single coil models.
gogiregion

A little clarification on your first question: Are you looking for noiseless P90s to replace P90s you already have?

As to your second question, Rio Grande makes singlecoil-sized P90s. Don't know if they're noiseless (doubtful).

https://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry-jr
https://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well, I have a single humbucker guitar, that I want to replace with a P-90. I love the sound of P-90s and wanted to know if I could get a noiseless one, or at least a well shielded one (which I can't say about the humbucker).

I'm also buying a strat soon (I'm currently getting all the money together), and wanted to know if there was even such a thing as a P-90 that could be hum canceling and fit into a strat, but am okay with just shielded P-90s for that.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Tony Done

A P100 is simply a stacked humbucker in a P90 form factor, right? Other than that, it bears little relation to a P90, particularly in terms of sound.
For P90s that fit in a HB route, check out RailHammer, Rio Grande, Bareknuckle, Vintage Vibe, Lollar, and The Creamery.

The RailHammers are all noiseless. The rest? Drop a line to the makers.

The Rio Grande offerings are actually pairs of their Dirty Harry & Dirty Harry Jr singlecoil P90s in HB housings, so that when split, you get the sound of the DH or DH Jr.

For Bareknuckle HBS-P90s, the ones to consider are the Mississippi Queen or Nantucket. Anything hotter than those will probably be too much. FWIW, each of those also comes as a standard sized P90.

Lollar, Vintage Vibe and The Creamery each only offer 1 model of HBS-P90. However, the latter 2 companies are custom winders, so you can get them as high or low output as you desire.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Which one will get me the closest to a classic P-90? If there aren't really any good ones, I'll just but a shielded Gibson or something.

gogiregion

In the RailHammers? The Cleancut or the Nuevo.

dspellman

When I bought the guitar, a 95 Gibson LP Special, I compared it to a couple of similar-aged P90 Gibson Jrs he also had in the shop, Tym's Guitars. Neither Tim Brennan nor I could hear much difference between any of them, maybe a bit smoother than a typical P90, but not near so much as a Gibson style humbucker. At the time I bought it I'm not even sure if I knew it was P100, so there was no hearsay bias on my part, and I chose that one because I wanted a Special, not a Jr. I think that the bad reputation of P100s might be a bit of wikiwisdom, but Gibson also changed the specs of P100s, so the bad reputation might have been due to the low-output earlier ones. Anyway, of all the pickups I have, they are my favourites, somewhere between a strat SC and a PAF, no-ice-pick of a strat-type, and more complex than a PAF.A lot has to do with the amp, my two are bright. However, as I have got older, the guitar has become too heavy for my tastes

They are typical looking stacked coils with the magnets between the coils. The coils are the same shape as P90s, with similar screw poles. They are unusual insofar as the the coils are wired in parallel and the resistance is about 9K ohm total. This means that the individual coils are massive, about 18K ohm each, and if series-wired like a typical humbucker, would be around 36K ohms!

There are a few designs that get the humbucking conformation by having two coils side-by-side, with three poles in each coil. Curtis Novak had one, I don't know whether he still doses.

This is the guitar in question, direct to PC via a Pandora Px4, Champ setting, IIRC:

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=8813367&q=hi&newref=1
Last edited by Tony Done at Mar 4, 2017,