View poll results: Synethstesia?
No
9 64%
I have Chromosteshia
2 14%
I have another kind of synethstesia
3 21%
Voters: 14.
I actually have chromostesia, which helps me with geting the tone I desire when making music. I know a lot of artists have it, and was wondering how many people here have it.

For thise that don't know, synethstesia is where one sense strangely connects with another one.

Chromostheaia is a form where you see pictures in your head of music. A lot of professional musitions actually have it (higher percentage than the population as a whole). I typically can use it to represent what sounds I'm looking for, and the closer I can get visually, the closer I get tone-wise. Anyone else have this weird experience?

Note to mods: this is in musitian talk because I want to know about other musitions state and how it relates to their music.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
There are definitely people with synesthesia around here, but having all of them talking here is another task altogether

I don't have any of it, but I do feel music in contours when not analyzing what's interesting about a piece of music or the interacting pitches
I have chromesthesia as well as other types of synesthesia. I see colors in music and I can even see the beat of the song, which sometimes helps me figure out the strumming pattern and sometimes interferes with that ^^; The colors in the music usually help me with playing by ear as well, but again, sometimes the colors can throw me way off. It's a strange but interesting thing to have as a musician!
Quote by sace97
I have chromesthesia as well as other types of synesthesia. I see colors in music and I can even see the beat of the song, which sometimes helps me figure out the strumming pattern and sometimes interferes with that ^^; The colors in the music usually help me with playing by ear as well, but again, sometimes the colors can throw me way off. It's a strange but interesting thing to have as a musician!

Yeah. I've never had it interfere with playing, but I also have perfect pitch, so playing by ear is a bit easier because of that. I mostly use it as a way of finding the tone I want, especially when it can be so hard to sound like something with the EQ settings.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
idk

I've never been tested or whatever, so I don't want to try to be special when I'm just a poser.

I'm pretty sure I'm not a projector.

I don't have perfect pitch (far from it) but I do associate notes with specific colors. E is green. A is red. G is purple. This helps me quickly learn where notes are on a new instrument, but it really gets in the way of retuning. I believe it also helps me visualize the freboard.

I see textures relating to timbre. Very high trebly sounds are thinner and whiter, while bass sounds are thicker and rounder. A real nasty splatty fuzz looks neat. Ambient textures bore me  both visually and musically. Ella Fitzgerald's voice is like molten stained glass. Very focused and white, but round on the edges like a glass tube. Sounds also have kind of a presence. 

EDIT: Wtf Why did UG make a new account for me. I got logged out and when I logged in it made a new account?

EDIT: Now I can't get back in, it keeps sending me to this account. Mods help pls
Last edited by duaneclapdrix1 at Mar 8, 2017,
I do associate color with pitch. It's more based around key centers though. C major is a deep red, A is light blue, G is dark green, etc. Both my viola teacher when I was younger and my current violin teacher have synesthesia with color as well.
I have a friend that relates timbre to shapes. A classical saxophone sound to him is a long oval and a bassoon is a bristly sort of inexact triangle. 
A guitar teacher I had a few years ago somehow applied rhythm and harmony to a 3 dimensional matrix. I asked about it once and immediately regretted it
I once worked under a conductor who I heard on multiple occasions relate different sections of the orchestra to beer but I think that one's a bit of a stretch  
Last edited by UseYourThumb at Mar 9, 2017,
Quote by UseYourThumb
I once worked under a conductor who I heard on multiple occasions relate different sections of the orchestra to beer but I think that one's a bit of a stretch  

The brass section is a Belgian blonde beer, violins are a ruby porter, double bass is a dark stout, it's obvious!

I have maybe a very mild form of it; I don't hear pitches as different colours but different instruments can have colours to them. Electric guitars can be red or orange, or grey or black for a heavier rhythm sound, keyboards are lime green. Voices can have colours sometimes too.
i've had synesthesia in several capacities but it was always as a result of very, very heavy psychedelics and usually i was incapable of playing my instruments or feeling my fingers 
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Haven't had it since early 70's when mescaline went out of style. Seriously this is the first i have ever heard of this but looking it up on the web makes me wish I had it in musical terms.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I don't know from time to time I get images in my head from a song I'm writting like dark at night in a beach for example but I think that's everyone and sometimes I draw a dumb picture on paint motivated by the song
Quote by Rickholly74
Haven't had it since early 70's when mescaline went out of style. Seriously this is the first i have ever heard of this but looking it up on the web makes me wish I had it in musical terms.

you missed the revival tour in my apartment about 2-3 years ago 
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Hey I'm very new to Chromesthesia and want to learn more about it. I believe I just found out that I have it but thought it was super normal just maybe an overactive imagination. I constantly have lightshows in my head due to music. Certain instruments/sounds look different. Such as a bass being purple and guitar being green or piano being yellow and turning pink because of the notes. Or even when I think of my moms voice I see light purple or some of my best friends I think of green also. I've never met someone with this condition besides my cousin who never told me she had it till yesterday
 so I'm really interested in learning more about what people experience??
Yes, I have colored alphabets and number lines.  I had no idea until the internet age that it was actually  a thing.  I thought it was just normal human experience.  My numbers also have gender,  including male, female, neutral, and both.

As far as whether or not it has any practical benefit?  Probably not.  But having such a clear, colored number line seems to be really useful, since I kinda see all numbers at once and zoom in on a particular number.  Sometimes, I'll hear a math problem and immediately know the answer because that problem will have a certain color that turns out to be the same color of the answer, even though I have to calculate to double check.  But people without this seem to be just fine with numbers too for the most part.