Thinking about going out and busking so need an acoustic amp and a pick up for my Fylde Falstaff. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
does it need to be battery operable?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i think the roland cube is probably the best little cheap-ish busking amp out there. (that runs on batteries)

a guy was using one yesterday when i walked through the tunnels of O'Hare Airport's Terminal to Parking structure. it sounded huge in the tunnel.

i have a vox ad-5 that would also work for that but I don't think they can be found new any longer.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 4, 2017,
Find a used Carvin Stagemate S400D. Should be in the $250 range.

It will go up on a stand, is powered by an interchangeable and rechargeable lead-acid battery, offers 100W and effects, and there's an extension speaker available that can also go up on a stand. Since the battery recharges faster than you can run it down, a pair of them and a nearby charging location will last a very long time. And, of course, it will also run on AC if you've got a friendly socket handy.

It's got a 10" (I think) low frequency driver in a closed back cabinet with a 1" tweeter for high frequency. Perfect for acoustic guitar. And there are inputs (and a mini-mixer) for voice, etc., on the back.
Both the Cube and the Carvin will get it done. Which one just depends on how much sound you need. If backpack friendly and intimate performances are your goal, get the Micro Cube or Street Cube. If multiple instruments or mics are involved, step up to the Carvin.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
wow that carvin is badass for $250. yeah, kind of a different price point from the roland but it looks like a very nice piece of gear for the price.
I'm stickying this thread for myself...just in case.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by gregs1020
wow that carvin is badass for $250. yeah, kind of a different price point from the roland but it looks like a very nice piece of gear for the price.

You can ONLY find the S400D used (discontinued a couple of years ago) these days.

Carvin now makes the S600 series that *starts* at $799. Same idea, battery powered and all, but with the extension speaker it's a 400W setup and *stereo*. It gets better -- there's a battery powered subwoofer (only $699) with a 400W amp built in!

http://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600

OTOH, you *will* piss off the rollerskating guy in the turban with the Pignose strapped to his midsection. Wait, is that an ORANGE?

that guy is a multi-tasking the hell out of life. he's got a 2nd amp on his back behind the orange.

good to know on that carvin pa gear.
dspellman

Yes, that IS an Orange. I actually have one of those: less crappy than you think.

(I don't count it towards my number of amps, though.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

gregs1020

Is it? I thought it was his battery pack or his guitar's case.

could be a battery pack i guess.

he should use a hat with solar panels on it.
Quote by gregs1020
that guy is a multi-tasking the hell out of life. he's got a 2nd amp on his back behind the orange.

good to know on that carvin pa gear.

His name is Harry Perry, and he's been a fixture on Venice Beach for years. Probably passed a million selfies with turistas by now. I've mostly seen him with a battery-powered Pignose.
wow that's cool. the only fixture we had in des plaines when i grew up was an old guy that yelled at the traffic in intersections with a mega horn in one hand and a bible in the other. and it wasn't in english, so as a 5 year old sitting in the back of a convertible it was rather awkward and marginally scary. i'd have rather had harry perry and the black sabbath through pignose rolling by any day of the week.