Page 1 of 3
Is it okay to force/tell people to face their fears and get over them?

I had a phobia of dogs when I was younger, and was forced by society to learn how to deal with it. Should this be the norm?

Discuss
yeah

many people have very irrational fears and need to be bitch slapped and corrected.
especially those who "suffer" from social anxiety and/or public speaking.
the only way to grow and become a better person is to push your comfort zone and overcome that obstacle.

for example, this chick needs to get over her irrational phobia
you can't be a functional member of society and be scared of fucking pickles lol

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

why should they be forced to? what's the moral force directing this "should-ness"?

you can tell people to all they like and maybe they will, maybe they won't.

sometimes it might be useful to take action on someone's behalf, sometimes it might not
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
why should they be forced to? what's the moral force directing this "should-ness"?

sometimes it might be useful to take action on someone's behalf, sometimes it might not

Because weakness is bad
Didn't Anakin Skywalker say something similar about politics in attack of the clones?

inb4 sand
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Only if they're hot chicks who have a phobia of having sex with me.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Banjocal

One of my friends has a phobia of spiders, and freaks out and has a go at you if you even mention their existence in their presence. I like them, but it gets really tiresome after a while and I kinda just want to throw money spiders at them until they get over it
As much as it sucks to have phobias, like with any other mental disorder, it the responsibility of the person who has the phobia to do something about it. Either by freeing themselves of it entirely or coming up with a strategy to control it. Phobias are ultimately learned behaviors and as such, they can be unlearned.

Therefore, I don't see what's wrong with telling people that they need to sort their problems out. Especially when its clearly having a negative impact on the quality of their life.

Telling them to 'get over it' is fucking douchy way to put it though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by TheChaz
Because weakness is bad
Badness is a relative term. Wrongness implies facticity.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I'm sure people who suffer from phobias would like to be cured of them. Having said that, throwing someone directly into the situation they fear most probably isn't the best approach.
Depends what they're scared of.

If they're scared spiders or something, fair enough, most people can get on with their lives and work around a fear like this.

If they're scared of sunlight or something, then they need to get it together. I don't pay my taxes to support you hiding away inside with the curtains shut!
Quote by sashki
Having said that, throwing someone directly into the situation they fear most probably isn't the best approach.

That's actually the basis of how phobias are treated.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by chrismendiola

Gradual exposure in a safe, controlled environment is not the same as throwing someone in at the deep end hoping they'll figure it out.
Quote by sashki
Gradual exposure in a safe, controlled environment is not the same as throwing someone in at the deep end hoping they'll figure it out.

Nah, flooding is used, though less often than interoceptive, in vivo, or covert exposure.  When it works, it tends to be very fast to reduce fear/anxiety associated with a phobic object.  But it's more traumatic and there's a higher liability for spontaneous recurrence.
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Quote by Bladez22
One of my friends has a phobia of spiders, and freaks out and has a go at you if you even mention their existence in their presence. I like them, but it gets really tiresome after a while and I kinda just want to throw money spiders at them until they get over it
that would be quite adorable but also harrowing. Invite them onto the eric andre show

anyway sure but it's still their choice and this whole should business is a crock u dig me

sounds like you need to have an honest talk with them or just drop them

Quote by chrismendiola
true, but flooding as a treatment isn't something you just casually go into it can go ridiculously shitty incredibly fast if the patient isn't "right" for it, so to speak
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Mar 4, 2017,
^ Agreed. I'm not sure it won't work for nobody, but acting like it will work for everyone is bullshit. Especially when you start acting like you have a crappy patient when actually it's well know that said treatment only works for some people.

Quote by sashki
I'm sure people who suffer from phobias would like to be cured of them. Having said that, throwing someone directly into the situation they fear most probably isn't the best approach.

Yeah, that's the thing that I find offensive about it. People (and often therapists etc. too) act like if you won't do exactly what they say, that you actually don't want to be cured.

Wut.

What I won't do is do something that I either feel incapable of doing, or which I think will make me worse. That's not the same thing at all.

Anyway, I'd generally take the approach I do to any illness or problem- if it annoys me when I don't have it, how much does it annoy the person who does have it? It's a very small price to pay to not be afflicted by the thing. IMO.

Quote by k.lainad
yeah

many people have very irrational fears and need to be bitch slapped and corrected.
the only way to grow and become a better person is to push your comfort zone and overcome that obstacle.

are you sure the only way to do that isn't to post glib cliches and gnomic utterances?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Therefore, I don't see what's wrong with telling people that they need to sort their problems out. Especially when its clearly having a negative impact on the quality of their life.

That kind of assumes that (a) you know more than they do about what will have a negative impact on the quality of their life and (b) that what you're suggesting they do will actually help.

In my experience, both of those a fairly heroic assumptions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 4, 2017,
Quote by k.lainad
yeah

for example, this chick needs to get over her irrational phobia
you can't be a functional member of society and be scared of fucking pickles lol

I'm afraid of needles, I should probably take up heroine
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Prototype4342
I'm afraid of needles, I should probably take up heroine

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Bladez22
Is it okay to force/tell people to face their fears and get over them?

Maybe don't use words like "force", a little empathy goes a long way these days.
Quote by chrismendiola

It's done gradually though.
Well I have a phobia of dumb questions, yet here I am
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Only if I get to choose the phobia and do the pandering.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by sashki

Well, since I didn't say that, I don't know why you bring this up. CBT for phobias is throwing someone into the situation they fear, but I didn't realize what you had actually meant was flooding.
Quote by 33db
It's done gradually though.

(1) I know, and (2) not always.
Free Ali
Free Lard
pander? i hardly know her!
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I have a phobia of bees. I hate bees more than anything else in the world. This doesn't really effect my life that much. I'd be pretty pissed if someone tried to "force" me to get over my fears.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
It's called exposure therapy, if supervised yeah, it can help people, but if there phobia isn't crippling enough to affect their quality of life, it's not an issue really.

I hate dogs, walking to get booze not long ago, fucking pit bull comes out in the middle of the road looking aggressive, I moved to the right, it moved to the right blocking my path, I'd never seen this dog in my life, normally all it takes it a loud mean 'fuck off' to make a dog run away, it didn't seem like a good idea with this dog, I was really nervous that day and didn't wanna deal with the fucking thing. It wasn't huge, pretty sure I could've killed it if it came down to it, but it fucked off at it's own leisure.

Doesn't help a pit bull bit me completely unprovoked when I was a teenager, I was just riding a bike and it ran out of a yard and knicked my leg, I had to get stitches, lucky the thing didn't catch me with it's mouth, just got enough to make me bleed bad.

After saying all this my best friend had a pit bull, I'd sleep around it, but it's not a strange dog with no owner in sight. I think it's pretty natural to be afraid of stray dogs, I can chill around dogs fine.
Last edited by stratkat at Mar 4, 2017,
It's totally okay for people to tell others that. It's also okay for me to not take you seriously if you tell me that and you're not a professional. Like how do you even know what's going on in my head?
cat
Quote by MurrcuryFoxx
I have a phobia of bees. I hate bees more than anything else in the world. This doesn't really effect my life that much. I'd be pretty pissed if someone tried to "force" me to get over my fears.

Wanna come visit my apiary?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58

I'll pass. tbh though I'm cool if I just see a bee it's when they get close to me they freak me out. I'll kinda just lose my shit if one touches me though.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
They should be forced only if they want it for themselves and pandering is only alright if their mentality doesn't make them think it's okay to demand it or seek attention.

If it has a clear negative impact on their daily living, then it's up to you to explain to them why it's better to face the phobia. But ultimately, bettering themselves is a decision they have to make for themselves.

Also not 100% sure you can say society forced you out of your fear of dogs. It's more like you gradually learned over time how to accept them as a part of living because of such over exposure. You just as easily could have clinged on to your fear and still be terrified to this day. In which case, I'm not so sure it was a phobia more than it was just a childhood fear, like the dark.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 4, 2017,
Quote by Jackal58
This is your worst chat up line yet
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
This is your worst chat up line yet

But it's the bees knees.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
But it's the bees knees.
They're weighed down with pollen Jackal don't be so insensitive!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The addiction to the dopamine/epinephrine surges that occur through an individual who perceive themselves to be immune to particular stimuli is more dangerous than the phobia experienced by the sufferer itself. It's the first step in sociopathic/authoritarian nonsense. Civilization 101. Read a fucking book, all of you; or just go outside for ten minutes and pay attention.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Quote by Zaphikh
The addiction to the dopamine/epinephrine surges that occur through an individual who perceive themselves to be immune to particular stimuli is more dangerous than the phobia experienced by the sufferer itself. It's the first step in sociopathic/authoritarian nonsense. Civilization 101. Read a fucking book, all of you; or just go outside for ten minutes and pay attention.

Probably one of the more retarded-er posts you've posted. You're,missing the importance of GABAa and GABAb, and adrenal fatigue. Where are you btw? Pm me if you want, I'm just chillin here more north
Quote by Fat Lard
Probably one of the more retarded-er posts you've posted. You're,missing the importance of GABAa and GABAb, and adrenal fatigue. Where are you btw? Pm me if you want, I'm just chillin here more north

Jacksonville, FL.

I've had a shit day, and need to call it a night. About to pass out. I'm glad you call me out on my shit; especially when I'm pissed at something else.
Will respond when sober, awake, and reasonable. Till next time. Peace.
Page 1 of 3