Being a working class stiff with a family and mortgage I play in the very low end of the gear spectrum. I Picked up this "as new" GAX70 for 75 bones not too long ago languishing under a thick layer of dust in a pawn shop specifically to play with. Overall it is a very nice low budget guitar, the body, neck and hardware are good stable platform to work with but the electronics sucked dead bears.

After a few weeks of noodling around leveling the frets and giving it the full spa treatment I finally decided which direction to take this mod. Keeping the budget as low as possible I picked up a set of Epi Probucker 3 PUs for $40 to replace the muddy stock Power Sound PUs. While the Epis are not high end they get overall good reviews and the pair cost half of what one used Duncan would cost. I switched out the cheap mini pots and put in new pots with Orange Drop caps and wired them in standard LP fashion. Along with the pots and caps I added a new switch, and jack another bring up the total investment up by $35. I polished all the black crap off the screws, threw on some billet knobs I had, and made a new truss Rod cover from an old pick guard, and put in a Tusq XL nut.

So I'm now into it for $163, well worth every penny, and still less than it cost when it was new by about 6 bucks, and it sounds so much better than it before and I think it looks better, but then as they say, "Chrome don't get ya home."

Before

After
"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war"
Last edited by Smith357 at Mar 4, 2017,
Looks much better - good work! Pics of the old vs new pots and wiring? I love seeing a freshly-done wiring harness
Quote by lumberjack
Looks much better - good work! Pics of the old vs new pots and wiring? I love seeing a freshly-done wiring harness

I'm not sure you will like these, I made two stupid mistakes, first when I mounted the pots to the cardboard template everything got soldered up in mirror so it would mount to the top of the guitar with the knobs in the cavity , DOH !!! Second my soldering iron was not powerful enough to get a super clean connection on the backs of the pots for ground, while the ground wire is attaches it just looks sloppy, I'll have to borrow the big monster soldering gun from work to zap the connections and clean up the joints.

Before

After
Close enough for rock n' roll!

You might be able to get your soldering closer to your preferred level of cleanliness with your iron and a bit of flux, if you're not using it already. Flux changed my life.
Quote by lumberjack
Close enough for rock n' roll!

You might be able to get your soldering closer to your preferred level of cleanliness with your iron and a bit of flux, if you're not using it already. Flux changed my life.

Flux was not the issue, my soldering iron is a fine tip 30 watt unit for computer boards, the one at work is a big Weller dual stage pistol pushing 200-300 watts
Last edited by Smith357 at Mar 5, 2017,