Like to play a lot of hard rock/metal ranging from breaking benjamin to slipknot, so I was wondering if it would be better to build a stack or just get a combo amp like the peavey hyper vip 3. I only got 400-500 so not to much and I will be doing some gigs

- going for a combo now just not sure which one, I want a deep, heavy, clean(no buzzing) tone like in nomadic or aov from slipknot.
Last edited by RYx123xS at Apr 3, 2017,
Many hard rock and metal bands used closed back cabs for more focused low end, so that means using a stack.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Quote by RYx123xS
Like to play a lot of hard rock/metal ranging from breaking benjamin to slipknot, so I was wondering if it would be better to build a stack or just get a combo amp like the peavey hyper vip 3. I only got 400-500 so not to much and I will be doing some gigs

Keep your eyes open for a good used Carvin XV112b or XV112e. Should be an early '90's amp, should have 100W of EL34 or 6L6 power, should be around $350-$400. They're covered with mouse fur (unless you can find one of the red oak versions). Very similar to an early Mesa, with active controls, assignable 5-band EQ, etc.
"Stacks" are way overboard in this day, in almost any situation. Though I use a full sized 6505+ most of the time, because I enjoy it's flavor, it goes through a 212 cab. My Peavey XXX Super 40 is obviously much smaller, and has all the power I could ask for if needed. It sound great paired up with a V30 ext cab.
You don't need a half stack, a combo will work in most situations are you are usually micing speakers anyway, but a 2x12 will give a bit bigger sound so it comes down to what is available in your budget and the practical aspect - 1 piece of gear vs two, weight etc.

For your genres and budget I would suggest a peavey used 6505+ combo, a used JSX combo, used XXX combo or a Carvin V3M - obviously head and cabinet combinations of the same amps would work. Also grab an overdrive pedal for your metal tone - doesn't have to be exspensive a Joyo Vintage Overdrive will suffice.

The other item I would suggest you get for live gigging is something like a H&K redbox or a Behrinner Ultra G - basically a DI box with cabinet modeling so you can use your amp for on stage sound and use the DI to feed the board with your tone. You could also use an iso-cab but a DI is a cheaper and in most cases more practical solution to the same problem.
Quote by 8Len8
Many hard rock and metal bands used closed back cabs for more focused low end, so that means using a stack.

Where are you getting this information?  I agree that you get some better low end with a closed back, but you certainly don't need a stack to get that.  Most 212 cab's are closed back.  A "stack" implies two 412 cabs "stacked" on top of each other.

Even a half-stack is overkill these days.
Quote by Xander_X
Where are you getting this information?  I agree that you get some better low end with a closed back, but you certainly don't need a stack to get that.  Most 212 cab's are closed back.  A "stack" implies two 412 cabs "stacked" on top of each other.

Even a half-stack is overkill these days.

I agree, but the OP was asking about stack vs combo so I answred his specific question. As far as where I'm getting my info from - over 30 years of listening to rock/metal and playing on stage in those types of bands.   
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Check out Black star amps. I have a Ht 40 and it suites my Metal Needs Fine for the budget. It also takes pedals without any problems.
It may not look like much, but the 50w Carvin V3M (head or combo) is perfectly capable of dishing out metal tones. And sometimes, the combos or heads can be had under $500 used. Here's one such, with vintage-style cosmetics:
https://reverb.com/item/4155129-carvin-v3m-112-combo-tweed

Here's demos that showcase its more mainstream tones:

Here's a video of Pif, the guitarist for Thira (a pretty heavy band) showing some of his settings for his V3M, followed by what it sounds like when he uses it:

The 100w V3 used to have a combo version, but now is only available as a head. Because it has more features and power, it usually doesn't fall in your price range. Still, sometimes...

https://reverb.com/item/4458003-carvin-v3-100-50-watt-tube-head
https://reverb.com/item/4418255-carvin-v3-2x12-combo
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It may not look like much, but the 50w Carvin V3M (head or combo) is perfectly capable of dishing out metal tones.  And sometimes, the combos or heads can be had under $500 used.  

Never played one, but I've heard nothing but good things about the V3 and it's metal capabilities. 
Honestly, if you are giging, id suggest a halfstack with a 2x12 cab. Its just easier to carry around a head and speaker separately, than in a combo that weighs 63kg. And a lot of times you can make a deal with other bands or even the venue, to use one of their cabs, so the switching on the stage is way faster and you have even less stuff to carry around. 
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Age-old argument. For a long time I used a 100W combo amp with a single 12" speaker (EV-L). It was easy to cart to practice and small gigs. 
I used the same combo amp with a full stack (two 4x12s) by pulling the internal speaker's connector and plugging in the stack. I didn't put the combo on top of the stack, natch, but on a tilted stand next to (or in front of) the stacked speakers. The combo was loud enough, on its own, to work nearly any gig and yet light enough (barely) to cart around. If you're in a club that mikes a single speaker (as most do), having anything more is mostly cosmetic.
RYx123xS So i'm gonna go for a tube amp, however I do like to switch to a clean channel and using a disruption or overdrive is my thing so is there like a channel switching pedal I can get to go along with the amp, and lastly my local guitar center has a value king 112 used for around 280 however I was thinking about going for a micro dark as it is cheap and portable.
For the heavier stuff, the valve king will struggle. Modern metal high gain tube amp for under $500, that basically screams for a 6505 combo. You might be able to find one of the 212 combos in your price range.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
So I got a mg50dfx and before you say why that, it's garbage... it was 150$ and came with a pedal so I was able to get a guitar, I got 45 days to return it for something in the 150 to 200$ range if anyone has suggestions to replace it, or to make it better however in the bedroom it sounds fine but I haven't tried playing with my band yet so yeah.