Hi all,

is there anyone out there with 2 cents to share?

I've got a les paul clone made by samick, and I'd like to improve the neck action.
the issue is that the action is too close right where the neck joins the body, and causes buzzing and tone loss.
the remainder of the action seems to be good, with max clearance in the middle of the neck. I've tried to replicate the shape in the little diagram below, where the flat is where the neck joins the body.

.|
(

My question is: can this be adjusted with the truss rod, or does it need more serious surgery. If it is adjustable, how do I go about getting it right?

Thanks heaps
From your description, I seems that might be a bit too much neck relief. I would try straightening the neck a little with the truss rod (1/4 turn clockwise might be enough), and raising the bridge. If you press down on the 1st and heel frets, the gap between the crown of the 6th fret and the bottom of the 6th string should be about the thickness of a business card, no more than that. I get a better idea by tapping the string over the 6t fret and watching the movement.
werafa1 Lowering the action even more is going to make it worse. What you have is a common problem, and not just with cheaper guitars. I had the same problem with my 4K Martin.  You might need to take it to a "respected" luthier(guitar mechanic). NOT Guitar Center , to see if the frets above the neck joint can be filed down to eliminate the buzz. Otherwise, the only real fix is to pull the frets, reshape the fingerboard and re fret the guitar. Probably not worth the money on a Samick.   
Quote by roadapple756
werafa1 Lowering the action even more is going to make it worse. What you have is a common problem, and not just with cheaper guitars. I had the same problem with my 4K Martin.  You might need to take it to a "respected" luthier(guitar mechanic). NOT Guitar Center , to see if the frets above the neck joint can be filed down to eliminate the buzz. Otherwise, the only real fix is to pull the frets, reshape the fingerboard and re fret the guitar. Probably not worth the money on a Samick.   

Thanks Roadapple,
I did fear as much. I have attempted setting the neck before, and had got it good enough for my skills, but I am now becoming more adventurous and attempting to learn a few lead bits. I'm not sure I described it adequately before, but there is a slight but sharp bend right where the neck joins the body, and adjusting the action only adjusts the bit after this angle - if I remember this correctly. I'll still do as Tony has suggested, and will play with raising the bridge height a little more to see if I can improve things.

Thanks for spotting this post - I put it here because I could not find this problem described by those who talk about setting up your neck, and was wondering if it was due to newbies syndrome (more enthusiasm than experience )
If the action at the 5th-9th fret is good but it's too low at the body then your truss rod is too loose and the action is too low.  You need to increase the action at the bridge and you need to tighten the truss rod a little.   There is nothing in your post that would make me think the guitar needs more than just minor adjustments.  Even the tech at GC should be able to handle this task but I suggest going to a shop with a real tech or taking it to a luthier.  Have them make the adjustments while you watch so you can learn to do it yourself in the future.
Not taking any online orders.
k, thanks Corduroy. 
I shall attempt it myself first, and post my results.

the thing is, I do not want to increase the neck relief - this is right where I want it
Last edited by werafa1 at Mar 8, 2017,
sorry to burst the bubble - but that one is photoshopped.

you see, mi save long dispella hap, na dispela pixa em i giaman
you will have to rubberneck elsewhere.

I could get you a penis gourd though
Quote by werafa1
sorry to burst the bubble - but that one is photoshopped.
I could get you a penis gourd though

Immaterial. Still funny. 
Do I really want to know what a penis gourd is?
No, but have close family connections.

anyway,
an update:

loosening the truss rod a little has lifted the strings, eliminating the buzz. This has come at the cost of lifting the string action in the middle of the neck to approx 5mm - which seems too high for me, but I may have to live with it.

Thanks