I am planning on buying a fuzz with an octave up feature (switchable), and was wondering if with a strat you can get the sound of a regular fuzz by switchin pickups. I've heard that octave based pedals work best on the neck pickup, and that you can't hear it on a strat bridge. Is this true that you can essentially turn it off with the pickup selector?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Will Lane
It is reduced but it is still there. Easiest solution is to get a fuzz pedal with switchable octave or two fuzzes.

Yeah, that's what I meant by switchable. Should have made myself more clear.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I would not say it switches it off in the way you're describing. It's certainly more pronounced on the neck, since you're getting a stronger fundamental from the neck pickup, but I haven't found that it goes away completely or even mostly on the bridge pickup in most cases. If you've got it drowned in fuzz and a few other effects, and you turn the tone down on the bridge pickup, it might get lost in the mix, but if you're trying to kill two birds with one stone, get an octave fuzz that has a control to turn the octaves off. Don't bank on being able to switch from octave to regular fuzz with the pickup switch. That's not quite what happens.

It's not "can't hear the octaves" so much as "harder to notice" but the fuzz is still going to sound different. An octave fuzz is raspy and fairly distinct even if you can't pick out the actual octaves clearly.
Okay. For the third time now, the one I am planning on buying can switch the octave off. It sounds good with the octave off (like the original octavia), unlike most. 
Quote by gogiregion
Okay. For the third time now, the one I am planning on buying can switch the octave off. It sounds good with the octave off (like the original octavia), unlike most. 

ok fuzz's work best with the bridge pickup as many tend to have a bit of a dark sound to begin with. sure you can use your fuzz with the neck pickup but it may not sound as good. if you are going for Jimi then i think you'll find that he didn't really use the neck pup much if at all with the fuzz on. solos with the neck pup tended to be done fairly cleanly.  he really didn't use the ocatvia all that much. 
Why did you even ask this question if you're buying a pedal with a feature that makes the question completely moot?

Regardless the answer is no. You'll still get hints of the octave on any pickup and you'll most definitely get intermodulation distortion (that freaky percussive dissonance sound) if you play intervals more "complex" sounding than fifths or octaves. But like I said, a pedal with the option to turn the octave off with a footswitch makes this an utterly non-issue.
Last edited by pinheadslts75 at Mar 6, 2017,
Quote by pinheadslts75
Why did you even ask this question if you're buying a pedal with a feature that makes the question completely moot?

Regardless the answer is no. You'll still get hints of the octave on any pickup and you'll most definitely get intermodulation distortion (that freaky percussive dissonance sound) if you play intervals more "complex" sounding than fifths or octaves. But like I said, a pedal with the option to turn the octave off with a footswitch makes this an utterly non-issue.

I usually play at home with no shoes on, and without shoes it can be hard to switch mid song with one of those tiny switches (which it has). Are there any good octave pedals with an actual button to turn on/off the octave? And by good I mean sounds good in both positions. 

Quote by gogiregion
I usually play at home with no shoes on, and without shoes it can be hard to switch mid song with one of those tiny switches (which it has). Are there any good octave pedals with an actual button to turn on/off the octave? And by good I mean sounds good in both positions. 

not sure where you are doing your research but t seems like you get a pretty steady stream of bad info. dude get some slippers at least. 
Quote by monwobobbo
not sure where you are doing your research but t seems like you get a pretty steady stream of bad info. dude get some slippers at least. 

I've switched those little things barefoot before, and the knobs get in the way. Slippers do help, I just don't like them when playing guitar. 

Quote by gogiregion
I've switched those little things barefoot before, and the knobs get in the way. Slippers do help, I just don't like them when playing guitar. 

well sometimes we have to suffer for our art  
Quote by monwobobbo
well sometimes we have to suffer for our art  

True.  

Quote by pinheadslts75

The one I was looking at was like the first one, and what I wanted was the second. Is the Ultimate Octave good?

Quote by gogiregion
The one I was looking at was like the first one, and what I wanted was the second. Is the Ultimate Octave good?

I really like my Ultimate Octave.  The octave up is gated in addition to footswitchable, and it has a "Bright/Thick" switch that takes the tone from bright and scooped to thick and middy.  It slays for early Queens of the Stone Age tones or a Jack White octave up sound.  Be forewarned that it's not very vintage-voiced - if you're looking for an old, Hendrix-like pedal, I'd look elsewhere.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
I really like my Ultimate Octave.  The octave up is gated in addition to footswitchable, and it has a "Bright/Thick" switch that takes the tone from bright and scooped to thick and middy.  It slays for early Queens of the Stone Age tones or a Jack White octave up sound.  Be forewarned that it's not very vintage-voiced - if you're looking for an old, Hendrix-like pedal, I'd look elsewhere.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you. I so want a Hendrixy vibe to it, so I think Ill maybe get a Band of Gypsies Fuzz Face, and build an octave up boost (the BG FF is an Octavia without the upper octave) that's just the Octavia up part (transformer and two diodes). Does that sound like a good plan?

Quote by gogiregion
That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you. I so want a Hendrixy vibe to it, so I think Ill maybe get a Band of Gypsies Fuzz Face, and build an octave up boost (the BG FF is an Octavia without the upper octave) that's just the Octavia up part (transformer and two diodes). Does that sound like a good plan?

If you like doing DIY stuff and you know the octave up will work on it's own, that's a fine way to do it.  But I'm sure there exists a pedal that's voiced like a Hendrix fuzz and has switchable octave up out there somewhere.  I just don't know of any off the top of my head.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by barden1069
If you like doing DIY stuff and you know the octave up will work on it's own, that's a fine way to do it.  But I'm sure there exists a pedal that's voiced like a Hendrix fuzz and has switchable octave up out there somewhere.  I just don't know of any off the top of my head.

I do like doing DIY, and I'm too lazy to look for a switchable Octavia, LOL. I have no clue if the octave up portion will work on it's own, but honestly, all it is is a full wave rectifier (a transformer and two diodes, but there are ways to do it with just 4 diodes). I don see why it wouldn't work. 

Further suggestion, if it's wanted, is the MXR Sub Machine. It's based on the Foxx Tone Machine rather than the Octavia, but it's (imo) a really tasty sounding octave fuzz that has up and down octave options. The former has a standard footswitch, while the latter can be dialled in with a knob.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by gogiregion

as a die hard Hendrix fan i'd suggest skipping the octavia all together and go for a uni-vibe type pedal which is way more useful when talking later period Hendrix sound. the octavia got used sparingly.  get a fuzzface a good wah and if you feel you need it a uni-vibe type pedal (some phasers can be substituted) and have at it. 
I should note that you can set these things up on an old Pod XT and just switch them in and out (or slightly in and slightly out) with a single stomp. 

I should also note that if you have a Variax guitar and use a VDI cable from the Variax to the Pod (HD500, Helix, etc., as well), you can actually assign internal effect pedal controls to knobs on the Variax. I've never tried assigning anything to the pickup switch, however. 
Quote by monwobobbo
as a die hard Hendrix fan i'd suggest skipping the octavia all together and go for a uni-vibe type pedal which is way more useful when talking later period Hendrix sound. the octavia got used sparingly.  get a fuzzface a good wah and if you feel you need it a uni-vibe type pedal (some phasers can be substituted) and have at it. 

Okay. That's probably what I'll do. It sounds like good advice. 

Edit: I forgot, but when I really crank my amp up with hugh gain and volume, for some reason there is kindof a ghost octave when playing with a fuzz. It's really weird, and only happens when the guitar volume is on full, along with the Fuzz.

Last edited by gogiregion at Mar 11, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
Okay. That's probably what I'll do. It sounds like good advice. 

Edit: I forgot, but when I really crank my amp up with hugh gain and volume, for some reason there is kindof a ghost octave when playing with a fuzz. It's really weird, and only happens when the guitar volume is on full, along with the Fuzz.

what pedal and what amp? if you are using a muli-fx unit or something digital then it could be a latency issue that gives that impression
No. Analoge pedal and Micro Terror hybrid amp (tube and solid state). I think it's the power amp causing it.