DiMarzio D-Activator (neck)
0 0%
Seymour Duncan Sentient
6 75%
Other
1 13%
Voters: 8.
Hello all,

I am currently modding my 7-string guitar. It has a Nazgul bridge pickup and the guitar itself is a solid body made out of basswood. I am considering one of the following: DiMarzio's liquifire, blaze, d-activator, or the Seymour Duncan Sentient. I play across the board, from Dance Gavin Dance (Drop D) to Issues (A# being the lowest) to Animals as Leaders, as well as other "lighter" genres. I use a solid state amp, most often my Marshall 15watt (simply because the dorms won't let me have a louder amp), and I typically run a Boss OD2 and Behringer version of the Boss NS2. My budget is limited atm, but I am excellent at finding expensive gear for lower prices, so that doesn't have to factor in.

Please note that I realize the Marshall MG10 is FAAR less than ideal; However, this is the loudest amp that I can have in a dorm, so until I can leave said place, this is the amp that I have to use for the time being. My goal is to have a 6505 or something very similar.

I AM OPEN TO ANY AND ALL AMP SUGGESTIONS!!!
The College-budget, Craiglist-searching, 7-String-Guitar Aficionado.

Schecter Hellraiser c1fr (EMG bridge & neck)
Schecter C-7 deluxe (Nazgul bridge & Duncan designed neck)
Traben tribal sun bass
Last edited by aguex2college at Mar 6, 2017,
Inb4 "you need a new amp". You're definitely going to hear that.

To your question: I have one guitar with a Blaze and a six string guitar with the Liquifire. Both are excellent pickups, just very different. The Blaze sounds kinda bright and scooped for a neck pickup, but it's plenty clear and versatile. Great cleans and with all levels of gain. The LF has more midrange than the Blaze, rounder to my ears. Obviously it's great for leads. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
You cannot expect a good tone for downtuning with a cheap 15w practice amp. Speakers put in amp combos that small cannot even be able to reproduce the fundamental frequency of the low A of a downtuned 7 string. Forget about the pickups and put your priorities towards a new amp. Putting new pickups in a guitar when you have an amp like that is like putting $3000 worth of rims on a Yugo.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
What you really need is a new amp.

If you're unhappy with your current tone on that amp (it's an MG, isn't it?), it is 99% unlikely that a new pickup will change that. What neck pickup do you currently have? Pickups are really far down the list of items critical to achieving "your tone." By that, I mean if I went to a gig and had to use someone else's guitar with different pickups spur of the moment, but could still use the rest of my rig -- nobody could tell the difference in tone except me. If you made me use a a Fender Twin instead of my 6505, well, I'd be shit out of luck...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
KailM Right now I am using the stock pickups that came with my Schecter c-7. It is the MG, and while I am hoping to get a 6505  (or other amp) someday, I am limited to dorm restrictions right now.

Traben tribal sun bass
BCKRedBaron Thank you, your reply was super helpful! 

Traben tribal sun bass
T00DEEPBLUE Thank you for your reply. I agree that the Marshall is subpar at best when it comes to A#-frequencies. The amp that I would like to have would be more along the lines of a 6505. However, the amp I have is the loudest I can have atm, but when I can get a better setup then the amp will be my number one focus for sure.

Traben tribal sun bass
New amp. But after that just get the sentient it's made to pair with the naz 
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Okay, so I have done some research into a new amp. Would something like a Peavey 6505+ piranha or orange micro dark be a game changer? I could play either of those in my dorm room. 

Traben tribal sun bass
^^^I would say so, most definitely.  No offense intended, but there is almost nothing that has worse tone than an MG 15.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Check out the Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio (<$400 used)  Pair it up with a 1x12 can and you're good to go. 
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
not to be a downer. but upgrading your pickups while using such a low quality amp, will hardly get you any real difference....

that being said......liquifire has a warm,rounded bassy tone. and the sentient has a glassier,more vintagey sound, both are good and work well with lots of overdrive....

I would invest in a good amp. if you have a decent pc, buy yourself an audio interface, and download guitar rig. that would get you insanely better tones
My Sentient sounds great for a lot of the cleans/leads in Dance Gavin Dance songs. Your amp is less then ideal though. A nice amp (I use a Blackstar Studio 20) goes a long way to improving your sound.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG-400 w/ Dimarzio Titans
Jackson JS-22 7 string with SD Pegasus/ Sentient
Ibanez RG350 (custom painted)

Amps:
Blackstar HT Studio 20
You could also go for something like a secondhand POD that you can use with headphones. They're obviously 'old', but still get it done well. As someone in a dorm with noise restrictions as well, I use a Line 6 PODxt through my Marshall MG50 cab. I have my good amps in my band's rehearsal place.

I have the LiquiFire (and the CrunchLab as well) installed in my RG1527 and I love both.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
I'm not sure there's a point to swapping pickups until you get a better amp. 

I've got a mahogany-bodied 7-string with a Nazgul 7 in the bridge and a Cepheus in the neck. I'm in no big hurry to swap it out, but I'm actually considering finding a single-coil-size 7-string width side-by-side humbucker and going with that. Given my experience with a Fast Track 2 (diMarzio) in a couple of 6-strings that I have now, I might try to go with something very similar on the 7. 
^^^I just installed a Nazgul in my 6-string Schecter flying V, which is a heavy chunk of mahogany with an ebony fretboard.  I really, really like the tone for leads, but then again, I kind of prefer bridge pickups for leads anyway.  The leads have this sizzle and sear to them and at least on this guitar, pinch harmonics go on for days.  I think it's an excellent pickup for leads.  It is quite mid-focused, so that is what helps carry single-note lines over the top.  Has a very brutal chug to it, and likes to be downtuned.  The last word I would use to describe it would be "muddy."  It doesn't have tons of bass output -- which a lot of metal players think they need -- but is a mistake IMO.  You need low-end in your guitar sound when playing metal, but it shouldn't come from your pickups.  Too much low-end going into the preamp will just distort badly and end up being muddy.  With a nice, trimmed-bass tone going into the preamp like the Nazgul provides, you can keep your gain "clean" so to speak, and add all the bass you need with the amp's EQ -- and it still sounds very tight and percussive on chugs and palm mutes.

I have mine setup for D-Standard at the moment.  Another thing I will say is that is a very clear pickup even with heavy gain (to my ears) and can be unforgiving of mistakes.  It will challenge you to not be lazy with your muting on both hands.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I think this thread should be a discussion of amps first and foremost over pickups. Speculating how pickups sound in the context of an amp TS doesn't even own yet seems a bit pointless.
Quote by aguex2college
Okay, so I have done some research into a new amp. Would something like a Peavey 6505+ piranha or orange micro dark be a game changer? I could play either of those in my dorm room. 

To be honest I think the 6505 Piranha is a bit of a toy. It suffers the same problem that many cheap, small amps have when they promise to deliver lots of gain. They have very little low end, a really funky nasally midrange and a unpleasantly fizzy treble that cannot be EQ'd out no matter how hard you try.

The Orange Micro Dark is a bit better, but again it just doesn't have enough low end balls for my tastes. But given how low power it is, that shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

With that said though, the EVH LBX head sounds really damn nice for something so small and it is a proper tube amp. Cramming 5 12AX7's into a tiny 15 watt box is pretty awesome. But it seriously lacks a ton of versatility (the first version of the LBX didn't even have a clean channel!) and it's probably way over your budget anyway. The 6505MH has much wider range of features than the EVH, is somewhat cheaper in price. And while it sounds pretty good for what it is, I think the EVH sounds a lot better. And it's a solid state/hybrid amp too, thus not fully tube.

If you'd rather have the 6505MH over the EVH because the EVH lacks versatility, I can't say I blame you. If you want the EVH because while it's a one-trick pony, it's a great trick, I can't say I blame you either.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by jedigovnaUG
not to be a downer. but upgrading your pickups while using such a low quality amp, will hardly get you any real difference....

that being said......liquifire has a warm,rounded bassy tone. and the sentient has a glassier,more vintagey sound, both are good and work well with lots of overdrive....

I would invest in a good amp. if you have a decent pc, buy yourself an audio interface, and download guitar rig. that would get you insanely better tones

Actually, that isn't a bad idea at all. As it happens, I have a PC with 8gb-ram, I5 (5th or 6th gen i think), and 1TB of memory. In my humble opinion, I think this sort of setup would work very well. What program/audio interface would you recommend? What is the typical price range for this type of setup?

Traben tribal sun bass
aguex2college

Well you already have a decent PC . So you wouldn't have to spend that much more . I bought bias fx for $59 , it has a nice variety of clean and high gain amps . It probably has the best high gain amp simulation I've heard in an amp sim. There's also guitar rig 5 , it sounds pretty awesome too , tons of amps , pedals , etc . Not sure how much it goes for nowadays . I have a disc with it , want it ? Lol

For an interface you can get a basic one . Scarlet solo , behringer , etc ...they would cost anywhere from 50- $100 .

I use a tascam us -100 . Bought for $40 if I remember correctly
Last edited by jedigovnaUG at Mar 15, 2017,