Hey guys
I'm using a Marshall MG50CFX amp and since I got it, I've been dealing with this strange buzz, which occurs only when I switch to the OD2 channel of the amp (heavy distortion).
I'm not sure why does this occur on one channel only and it is very irritating because sometimes it buzzes louder than the guitar signal itself!
So if anyone has dealt with a similar problem or may have an idea of what's going on, help me out
Thanks in advance
"Every time you pick up your guitar to play, play as if it's the last time." - Eric Clapton
Last edited by metalicpower200 at Mar 6, 2017,
time for a new amp. that amp will do you no favors down the line. shit amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup Well, I don't have the money for a higher quality amp as I'm a student, so i will do my best to fix the problem with this one, thanks for sharing an opinion tho
"Every time you pick up your guitar to play, play as if it's the last time." - Eric Clapton
Guitar could have a bad ground wire connection or if it's single coils, could be that too. If it's the amp well...used to own the first gen MG series and I can tell you that you should have went with the DSL series instead but you already got it so idk.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Unfortunately with amps of this caliber its hard to say,  But off the top of my head I'd say it has something going on with the pre amp side on that channel.  If that's the case then the easiest fix would be a new PCB and hope it goes away,  Although generally not worth the cost of a new PCB for such an amp.  Another thought if a decibel level difference would be a used up speaker, Marshall or should I say the Chinese manufacture that made it didn't exactly use high dollar quality components,  The game plan here was to build it as cheap as possible and sell it for as much as they can,  After all it does have a Marshall badge on the grill, And that's what really counts right?    
Last edited by nastytroll at Mar 6, 2017,
Are you sure it's not just the distortion causing massive compression, making the natural hum louder than without distortion?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
gogiregion It is a lot louder than the natural compression caused by distortions, and the thing that confuses me is that I don't experience this on the amp's other distortion channel.
Quote by metalicpower200
gogiregion It is a lot louder than the natural compression caused by distortions, and the thing that confuses me is that I don't experience this on the amp's other distortion channel.

Oh. Okay. Have you checked the grounding on that channel? Honestly that sounds like s strange thing. I've never heard of this problem before. 
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

gogiregion I haven't really opened the amp up as I don't have much experience in repairing gear and I'm afraid that I may screw something up even more, right now my main goal is to identify the problem so that I can think of a solution. And by the way, could this be caused by the guitar (Epihone les paul special  II)?
Quote by metalicpower200
gogiregion I haven't really opened the amp up as I don't have much experience in repairing gear and I'm afraid that I may screw something up even more, right now my main goal is to identify the problem so that I can think of a solution. And by the way, could this be caused by the guitar (Epihone les paul special  II)?

I've found that guitars are more likely, but also easier to fix. I've used broken Epiphone Les Paul Special IIs and other broken ones. If it's only on the OD2 channel, then it is probably the amp, saddly. When there's bad grounding in the guitar, touching a string, bridge, pickup selector, etc. a lot of the buzz goes away. You might just want to have someone at a music store check it out for you, I don't know what else to say. In the meantime, maybe just don't use the channel? That might work as a temporary solution. 

gogiregion Also, another thing I forgot to mention is that usually when I roll the tone knob of my guitar all the way down the buzzing disappears immediately and that's exactly what's making me think that there is something going on with the guitar, not the amp.
Quote by metalicpower200
gogiregion Also, another thing I forgot to mention is that usually when I roll the tone knob of my guitar all the way down the buzzing disappears immediately and that's exactly what's making me think that there is something going on with the guitar, not the amp.

That sounds like it's just the compression from distortion. Have you tried out a noise gate? It might help, try one out with YOUR guitar and YOUR amp in a music store, and see if it fixes your problem. It won't work 100%, but if that's the problem, then you'll know. 

gogiregion Actually I plugged my friend's guitar in the amp and the buzz goes away. So I will give the guitar to a luthier and hopefully he will fix the problem, thank you for the useful feedback
Quote by metalicpower200
gogiregion Actually I plugged my friend's guitar in the amp and the buzz goes away. So I will give the guitar to a luthier and hopefully he will fix the problem, thank you for the useful feedback

That's good.

I solved my problem, which was an unexpected thing. I didn't know that it matters how you plug your amp into the electricity grid so I basically plugged it the right way and now there is no sign of buzzing at all.
Quote by metalicpower200
I solved my problem, which was an unexpected thing. I didn't know that it matters how you plug your amp into the electricity grid so I basically plugged it the right way and now there is no sign of buzzing at all.

Oh. That works. I never have had that problem, but at the same time, all of my amps so far have had the third pin. Glad you don't have that problem anymore!