I am looking to buy a new Strat in the very new future and I have been reading all I can about a few models I really like. Problem is I am running into some terms I am not sure I know what they mean. First of all Fender refers to a couple of their new models as having a "Deep C Neck". How is this different from the "Modern C" that Fender has been using for the past several years? It almost sounds like a blend of the traditional modern c and a soft v. Can anybody enlighten me as to what this is. The other term I see with a couple of the new Strats is in reference to the frets, they call them "Narrow Tall" frets. I have never seen them referred to as jumbo or med jumbo or anything like that. I suspect from one thing I read that they are in fact Jumbo frets, true or are these new frets some new proprietary fret that Fender has come up with. Last I have a question that I realize asks for an opinion, but here goes. For playing blues which pickup do you think would work best a "Fat 50's" pickup set or a "Texas Special" set. Thanks for any clarification you can give me .
deep C is a little different from modern C its a little bigger. as for the frets well that isn't as easy.  the descriptions are about how high the fret is and how wide. not really a standard on those although the range is usually similar.  as for pickups that's up to you both will work fine for blues. 
Deep C is pretty much modern C only a little bigger like monwobobbo said. The frets is pretty much the vintage narrow in width but only taller like a jumbo if I recall correctly (honestly seems too gimmicky than practical).
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
I was thinking the same thing about the frets, like do we really need another fret size? I think we have enough to cover anybodys need already.
Just to answer the pickups question because monwobobbo answered the necks so well, the Texas Special are hotter pickups than the Fat 50s. The hotter a pickup is (for passives), the louder it is (pushes amp harder), the less high end, but more midrange. It's up to you, but I personally would go with Texas Special for its better midrange, making it stick out in a mix better, or better tone for solo work (though tone is subjective). Try looking at those demo videos on YouTube showcasing them. There's probably videos with a side-by-side of those two.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Quote by gogiregion
Just to answer the pickups question because monwobobbo answered the necks so well, the Texas Special are hotter pickups than the Fat 50s. The hotter a pickup is (for passives), the louder it is (pushes amp harder), the less high end, but more midrange. It's up to you, but I personally would go with Texas Special for its better midrange, making it stick out in a mix better, or better tone for solo work (though tone is subjective). Try looking at those demo videos on YouTube showcasing them. There's probably videos with a side-by-side of those two.

hotter doesn't always mean significantly louder. in the case of playing blues the hotter pickup isn't always desirable as much blues is played with a fairly clean sound. even in the case of dirtier blues the amp is what does the heavy lifting as you want it on the edge of breakup to just a bit over.. the fat 50s do have a bit more output than the typical vintage style strat pickup and a bit more midrange howver they still do a good job with the strat chime which many players want. 

OP i guess it does depend on exactly what type of sound you are shooting for and the amp used. 
Quote by monwobobbo
hotter doesn't always mean significantly louder. in the case of playing blues the hotter pickup isn't always desirable as much blues is played with a fairly clean sound. even in the case of dirtier blues the amp is what does the heavy lifting as you want it on the edge of breakup to just a bit over.. the fat 50s do have a bit more output than the typical vintage style strat pickup and a bit more midrange howver they still do a good job with the strat chime which many players want. 

OP i guess it does depend on exactly what type of sound you are shooting for and the amp used. 

Yeah. I was trying to put a very simplified version made to help with the basic information. There are some weird stuff with the heat of pickups. It's very complicated and puting it in a reasonable text would be hard (at least for me).
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

That was exactly what I was looking for about the pickups. I thought it was a very good explanation. I think , for me, the Fat 50's would be best but to be honest there probably isn't a lot in it either way. You can always split hairs and say this one or that is marginally better but in a double blind test I am sure I would find it near impossible to tell the two apart.
Quote by Arrawin
That was exactly what I was looking for about the pickups. I thought it was a very good explanation. I think , for me, the Fat 50's would be best but to be honest there probably isn't a lot in it either way. You can always split hairs and say this one or that is marginally better but in a double blind test I am sure I would find it near impossible to tell the two apart.

That's probably true. People say they prefer one thing, but in a blind test they like another thing better. There are actually blind test videos out there for pickups and guitars for that reason. I've been surprised from blind tests, and I bet most people would too!