Hey everyone,

So I've been thinking about a comp for a long time and I'm finally going to grab one. I usually buy used, so I first checked out the Xotic SP cuz I love my boost from them. But as I looked, came across these Joyo and Mooer comps.. $40 new for a Joyo, ARE THEY ANY GOOD? lol

I know there's some posts online about this already but I was wondering if anyone could compare the Joyo and Mooer pedals specifically? Mooer is $20 more.. they're both kind of cheapy, so I'm inclined to just go all out on cost-reduction and get the Joyo.

Or should I still just get the Xotic pedal? Money is a little tight is why I debate it

I play in a three piece, gets called indie/punk, not overly heavy though. I switch between playing chords to more-lead stuff pretty often within songs, would be using this pedal as an always on type thing 90% of the time (if it works like that) to smooth out my lead sections and get (hopefully) some more crisp/even chordage.

Thanks!
I haven't compared the two. I've got the joyo (though I barely ever use it) and it's a bit subtle-sounding. I'm not that well upon compressors, though.

there's also been some speculation about whether some cheaper copies are clones of mooers, as well: http://www.angst.org.uk/?p=184
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've had a joyo comp, and mooer blue and yellow comps. The yellow comp is the only one I use regularly - it's an optical circuit I believe. It sounds nice anyway. Pretty subtle, but can get pretty squashed if you crank it. I like relatively subtle compression anyway.

The joyo isn't bad, it's kinda like a mxr dyna comp. I think it brightens up the tone a bit, and has less versatility than the mooer. But it might work for you.

I never enjoyed the blue comp. It sounded worse than the others, and it was pretty easy to cause clipping with hot input sources which was pretty unpleasant sounding.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Mar 7, 2017,
Thanks a lot @Mulefish! 

I'm torn with the Mooer, because I feel like I can pick up a used Xotic for $20 or so more. I really just wanna know how durable these things are, that's my main concern. 
Joyo are a bit of a hit and miss. I had a flanger of theirs that was so badly made that it failed. I have read of other horror stories about them too. 
Mooer on the other hand seem to be a pretty solid product. I have their Wahter and it rocks. I don't use compressors so I can't comment on those specifically, sorry
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ Yeah, I'd tend to agree. I think I would be inclined to say that if you can afford to get up to the Mooers, it's probably worth it. None of mine have actually failed, but most of the ones where I've been able to try a similar product from a more expensive manufacturer, the more expensive one sounded better- sometimes it was slight, but (usually) it was there. That's not to say the Joyos don't sound good for the money- they do, but there's that qualifier there.

But as I said above, there's that complicating factor of Donners, Rowins etc. possibly being exactly the same product as Mooers in a different shell for a price similar to the Joyos...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?