is this something anyone can do? or could i mess up the neck doing this? or maybe something else.
thanks
begginer geetarest.
There's always an opportunity to mess things up when power tools are involved.
Having said that, it shouldn't be too hard to drill a little pilot hole and attach a strap button without a major incident.

Pretty good info (and some hideous looking paces to locate the button) here: http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Hardware_Installation/Wheres_the_best_spot_for_your_strap_button.html
The neck heel a perfectly legitimate location to add a strap button. You just need to use the right tools to do it.

And no, it won't mess the neck up. Not if you don't drill right through the fretboard at least.

The best place to put a strap button is on the treble side of the heel. That way, the guitar naturally wants to fall towards you as you play instead of away from you.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
i didn't think of putting it on the side like that. i was thinking on the back of the heel, if that makes a difference. something to think about now, the next time i pick up my guitar. 
begginer geetarest.
Where you place the button on the heel does make a difference. Placing it on the end cap of the heel creates the tendency for the guitar to want to fall away from you as you play. Which forces you to twist the neck towards your body as you play, which is less comfortable. Placing the button on the treble side of the heel prevents that from happening.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Where you place the button on the heel does make a difference. Placing it on the end cap of the heel creates the tendency for the guitar to want to fall away from you as you play. Which forces you to twist the neck towards your body as you play, which is less comfortable. Placing the button on the treble side of the heel prevents that from happening.

i didn't think about that. maybe i better head to the music store and see if their acoustics have both options. i don't want to put an extra hole there if i can avoid it. thanks
begginer geetarest.
Quote by Lloyd_rogers
i didn't think about that. maybe i better head to the music store and see if their acoustics have both options. i don't want to put an extra hole there if i can avoid it. thanks

If you're going to the store, take a look at something like an expensive Taylor rather than a cheap Yamaha. 

While you're at it, remember that acoustics have not traditionally had a neck-area strap button; they've usually had the strap attach at the headstock. 

Last edited by dspellman at Mar 8, 2017,
dspellman the way lennon has that strap gets in the way for me when playing certain chords on the first fret. besides the strap not feeling secure on my left shoulder, like it's going to slip off. but i'll keep those guitars in mind that you mentioned. thanks. 
not sure if i like the way the strap knob looks on the side like that though. but i guess security is more important. thanks again. 
begginer geetarest.