I'm not trying to do it myself, but I'm wondering how you mask the lack of skill with distortion and delay. I've heard people complain about this combination being toxic, but I don't completely understand it. Also, for those that do think it masks skill, how can you identify someone doing it?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Well...

Don't misunderstand me- I love & respect The Edge's talent, but that's a classic example of HOW you'd use those effects to conceal your talent/discipline deficit.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by gogiregion
I'm not trying to do it myself, but I'm wondering how you mask the lack of skill with distortion and delay. I've heard people complain about this combination being toxic, but I don't completely understand it. Also, for those that do think it masks skill, how can you identify someone doing it?

well it comes under the heading of you'll know it when you hear it. not so much an issue with pro bands as beginners. distortion gives you sustain or at least sounds like it does. to much distortion turns individual notes to mush and they tend to blend. this can sound fast and not let you hear poorly played notes as well as a cleaner signal would. same goes for delay you can set it up for repeats so although you play one note it may have 3-4 repeats so again makes it sound faster than it really is. playing notes fast and clean is something that takes time to develop as cleanly played notes will show mistakes or poor technique. heap on gobs of distortion and you don't hear them as clearly. 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well...

Don't misunderstand me- I love & respect The Edge's talent, but that's a classic example of HOW you'd use those effects to conceal your talent/discipline deficit.

that guy can't even play guitar.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
AcousticMirror 

Actually, he can.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
AcousticMirror

Actually, he can.

no man the edge. 
the edge can't play guitar.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
AH!

Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Techniques
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
"Asking for a friend"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Depends. Distortion and delay can cover up sloppy playing. But on the other hand, distortion will amplify unwanted noises and delay will repeat any wrong notes you play. Delay and distortion only covers up sloppy play when you play fast. But they can make mistakes more apparent when playing slower. And keep in mind that you have to use a ton of distortion and delay for these to happen. Using way too much of them when playing lead is a sign that someone is using them to cover up sloppiness.
Used properly, distortion + delay sounds great.  Delay in particular is far less "covering" than reverb, and usually is set so it's barely noticeable (for lead playing).

But poor skill is usually recognisable very quickly, with usual offenders being

- unwanted strings ringing
- inaccurate bends and slides
- applying blues bends to wrong notes (like the root ... I hate that so much)
- poor to non-existent vibrato
- widdling with no real statement.  (just playing a scale or pattern fast, with nothing else to back it up, isn't really being skilled at guitar)
- picking not sync'd
- notes fading with legato
- starting every lick on beat 1.
Thank you for all the answers! Now I know all about the "problem," as some people call it. 
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Quote by jerrykramskoy

- notes fading with legato
- starting every lick on beat 1

Could you elaborate what these 2 mean?
Quote by 1nsane000
Could you elaborate what these 2 mean?

I think that 1 is saying notes fading together with distortion and delay, and the second… I don't see how that's a problem, even Zeppelin did it for a lot of (if not all) songs. 

You know it by what you DON'T hear, which is clearly articulated notes. 
Quote by gogiregion
I think that 1 is saying notes fading together with distortion and delay, and the second… I don't see how that's a problem, even Zeppelin did it for a lot of (if not all) songs. 

1) when your legato is weak, you lose volume. Proper pull-offs are basically plucking with the left hand, so you don't lose any volume.
2) Starting every phrase on the downbeat indicates a lack of rhythmic skill, namely the ability to hear/imagine rhythms that lead into the downbeat
Quote by cdgraves
You know it by what you DON'T hear, which is clearly articulated notes. 

1) when your legato is weak, you lose volume. Proper pull-offs are basically plucking with the left hand, so you don't lose any volume.
2) Starting every phrase on the downbeat indicates a lack of rhythmic skill, namely the ability to hear/imagine rhythms that lead into the downbeat

Oh, okay. Like pickups to songs. That's what you're talking about right? And posibly pickups in other measures. 

Quote by gogiregion
Oh, okay. Like pickups to songs. That's what you're talking about right? And posibly pickups in other measures. 

more or less, yes. Composed riffs starting on the downbeat are pretty normal, but if you're improvising it sounds really unnatural and stiff.
1nsane000 my answer is exactly the same as cdgraves above.  As for the 2nd point, listen to singers (in most style), who very very often will start a line somewhere half way into the bar, and end it  somewhere in the middle of another bar (don't take "middle" too literally)  ... that is, by not constantly hitting the first beat of a bar, the line flows more, feels "better",...   But same is true of most instrument players, once they've got more into their music and their style.
Quote by cdgraves
more or less, yes. Composed riffs starting on the downbeat are pretty normal, but if you're improvising it sounds really unnatural and stiff.

Oh. With improvising, yes. I didn't realize you were talking about that  

Quote by steven seagull
"Asking for a friend"

I just noticed this.