So I've been looking deeply at a Laney vh100r and I'm not sure on it. I love my Laney Ironhearts and LH50 and would like another Laney. Someone told me on another forum that the vh100r is similar to the Carvin v3, which I own and like but that's not what I'm looking for tone wise.

I'm currently on the road and I'm running a few Ironhearts which are killer amps live. But I want something with a bit more growl to run next to them. I really like the tone of an Orange Rockerverb but they aren't really the most tweak able amps as I suffer from tone boredom when touring.

So I guess what I'm wanting to know is, what's other people's experience with the vh100r? Does it sound good with 6l6s? And what other Laney amps do you suggest? The tone I'm going for is kind of Tony Iommi mixed with Jim root.

Thank you
Last edited by jacrane74 at Mar 8, 2017,
which iommi tones?

iommi had a sig GH head (but i'm guessing it's more for his more modern tones), and the vh100r is (more or less, i think) a GH with a clean channel. and the GH (again, more or less, I think) a hot-rodded marshall jcm800.

i haven't tried your carvin.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The VH100R is similar to a GH as mentioned but with an added clean channel and options. It definitely has a Marshall flavor but is a bit more tight, bright and gainier. Really cool amp. Kind of regret selling it.

As for the difference between EL34 and 6L6GC valves in that particular amp I didnt notice much of a difference between the two. The 6L6s mightve had a bit of a cleaner bottom end but its a neglegable difference IMO.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I Like the modern Iommi tones. Is the vh100r a fizzy sounding amp? I like an open gain sound, I also prefer a midrange growl kind of like an Orange.
Its not fizzy but it also doesnt sound like an Orange so if you want that sound you will be disappointed.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I really loved my VH100Rs. I would still have one if I didn't find incredibly profitable trades. They can get pretty high gain, and their cleans we're always nice and chimey and took pedals well. I had Sovtek 5881s in my last VH100R and it was ridiculous. I think I made a horrible video when I was a bit drunk a handful of years ago, I can link you if you're interested. I was turned on to them because the dude from the band HIM was touring with them, and his live tone was nutty. Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth used them years ago too. 
I now use a Rockerverb, and I definitely still miss my VH100Rs.
I like the Rockerverb more, it is a very sweet amp and I don't think it could get you tone boredom. I almost bought one on the spot when I was in GC. 
The Rockerverb 100 and Mark V are on my list. 

If you like Toni Iommi and Motorhead's guitar sounds, look at the AOR heads, the 50 or 100 watt versions. I have the 50 watter and it is instant Toni Iommi. Instant Metallica 80s rhythm tones if you put a boost in front. For another Black Sabbath option (early days) look at Ashdown Fallen Angel. I still don't know how that didn't become the "go to" doom amp.