I'm looking at a used strat that appears to be a Mexican Classic '70s, however it is missing the Serial number.

Pictures - http://imgur.com/a/G6rgn

I am of course wondering if it is a fake or a Fender neck on a no-name body. The Strats I have dealt with in the past have had the Serial Number on the front, does anyone know if those with it on the back ever have it applied as a sticker or something that could rub off? Do Fender replacement necks come with a Serial Number? Are fakes with no Serial Number common?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
As far as I know no Fender has the serial number on it as a sticker or otherwise over the top of the finish. In fact I'm nearly certain of that. I would guess it's a replaced decal on a Squier or something. The '70s Mexi would have the big headstock, but the tuner buttons have concave faces, and it has split tuner shafts. It also has "bullet" truss rod adjustment, which is a very prominent metal projection where the truss rod nut is. Plus the Fender logo is black with a gold outline on those. In other words - not a chance that's a '70s Mexi neck. If the hole for the truss rod nut is surrounded with black material rather than walnut my money is definitely on Squier.

Also, what's going on with the body? Nasty.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 8, 2017,
Checked it out in person and it was indeed some cheap strat knock off with a Fender decal. Oh wells
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by K33nbl4d3
As far as I know no Fender has the serial number on it as a sticker or otherwise over the top of the finish. In fact I'm nearly certain of that. I would guess it's a replaced decal on a Squier or something. The '70s Mexi would have the big headstock, but the tuner buttons have concave faces, and it has split tuner shafts. It also has "bullet" truss rod adjustment, which is a very prominent metal projection where the truss rod nut is. Plus the Fender logo is black with a gold outline on those. In other words - not a chance that's a '70s Mexi neck. If the hole for the truss rod nut is surrounded with black material rather than walnut my money is definitely on Squier.

Also, what's going on with the body? Nasty.

vintage Fenders did indeed have a sticker over the finish including original 70s models.  the guitar in question isn't a 70s model as it lacks the bullet truss rod adjuster and doesn't have a 3 bolt neck. although there were some early 70s 4 bolt models they don't get reproduced as late 60s models have the same specs (and the Jimi association).  PASS on that mess
Quote by GNR4EVER
Checked it out in person and it was indeed some cheap strat knock off with a Fender decal. Oh wells
I hope the seller wasn't trying to represent it as anything else?

Quote by monwobobbo
vintage Fenders did indeed have a sticker over the finish including original 70s models.
Sure, I was thinking in terms of current models. But yeah, you're right about the features- don't know how I forgot about the 3-bolt neck.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one