I have a '17 Gibson Les Paul Tribute and the Marshall amp. I keep it on half power and can still only try to get it to 3 on volume. Is there a way to get the 10 sound without it being that loud? Can you turn your guitar volume down or are there any other tricks? Everyone keeps telling me that I have not even heard how good it can be, but I don't want the neighbors calling the cops either!
You need an attenuator. The half the power does not reduce the volume, makes the amp break up quicker.
10 sound is highly over rated and that amp really wasn't designed with that in mind.  i doubt you are missing out on much. i rarely run my main amp much past 4 and that is in a band situation. 
Gab_Azz Thank you for that! What about this? Got a lot of likes and positive comments? Same result but cheaper maybe?  
Power tube distortion is dumb. Do you keep your tv on full volume all the time?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I did that to my Fender HRD but I would not do it to my DSL. You will loose the gain that I really like. What I did to drastically improve the tone was change the speaker. I choose the g12m65 creamback. There are lot of other great speaker options to improve the amp tone.
The louder the amp is, the more power you need to drive the speaker. Bass frequencies take exponentially more power to reproduce than treble frequencies, so turning it up that loud is going to make the amp sound quite harsh and ice picky.

So while you can turn it up that loud, why would you want to?

I think power attenuators are a bit of a marketing scam because they grossly oversimplify why an amp sounds better when its loud. The way an amp sounds when its loud has a lot to do with how the frequency response of the speaker changes with volume. The only way you can make the speaker react the way it does with the amp is turned up is... by turning the amp up. Which defeats the whole exercise.

And then you have to take into account the human element. Amps sound better to a lot of people when they're loud because humans just think loud things sound better in general.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I use a re-amper (Bad Cat Unleash) With my DSL40.   It's more transparent than a passive attenuator.   
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Throw caution to the wind, Say F-it and crank it up. (Maybe pick a time when the neighbors are at work). 

Now wait a little while until you're ears stop ringing. 

Unless you're specifically going for that AC/DC power tube breakup sound, you'll realize that it actually sounded better at 2-3 using the preamp gain for distortion. 
Jeffh40 ^this. 

These are Master Volume amps so use the volume knob - the tone is designed to come from the preamp. 

Though my initial answer to the title was earplugs. 
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Giants72, Phillip McKnight gives good advice in his video. The fact is that the jury is still out on this one. Part of the reason that your amp sounds the way it does at high volume is how the speakers are reacting to the distortion. There are those who say that the reaction of the speaker then feeds back into the circuit because as it moves physically (and at high volumes violently), it absorbs the power fed differently, because it changes its loading properties.

Bottom line is this: as you push your volume, you will push your tubes. When you push your tubes, you not only distort them, you age them quicker. The more you distort and the more you push, the faster they will age and the more often you'll replace them. Any of these workarounds can cost you $$ in the end when it comes to replacing your tubes.

If you really want to test out your amp at a large volume, take it to a guitar shop and "try out" some pedals in a sound room. Or better yet, find a warehouse that doesn't have anyone there on weekends or nights and see if you can plug in and turn up. That's what I do.

Enjoy, and good luck!
All of you guys are awesome! Thank you for the education and different opinions! I am a beginner and will get better faster with people like you guys around! Now to try out some of these ideas!
nice gear for a beginner lol
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
romeozdistress Thanks Man! Too bad I only know like 5 riffs and one scale Figured if I got the nicer equipment and sound I would stay more motivated. Do you have any recommendations on how to learn faster? I thought about ordering some of those dvds that show you how to play songs from guitarist you like. I watch you tube and I try to play at least an hour a day. What else can I do? Any good books or dvds?
romeozdistress And it's a marshall dsl40c! Probably more then I need, I can't crank it all the way which I why I asked this question and I keep hearing people say Marshalls sound best at 10!
There are essentially only two ways to get power tube distortion at a low volume. One is to put a good attenuator between the amplifier and the speaker itself (not between the preamp and the power amp, as in the video). The issue with an attenuator is that it interferes with the loop created by the transformer and the voice coil of the speaker, and that changes the tone. Depending on the attenuator, this can be a little or more than a little. 

The other way is to use a flux-tone speaker. This is a specially built speaker that uses the same moving parts as your favorite speaker, but substitutes a variable electromagnet for the magnet on the back. You can actually turn the sound down nearly 25 dB (something like turning your 50W amp into a quarter-watt). You're not, however, affecting the output of the power amp or the power tubes; they're still working as hard as they can. It's just that you've created an inefficient speaker magnet. The sound is the same as a full-chat amp, but the volume is lower. But be aware that the fluxtone speakers are not cheap. They're used in a lot of recording studios, but most guitars don't run into them on a normal basis. http://www.fluxtonespeakers.com/
Quote by Giants72
romeozdistress And it's a marshall dsl40c! Probably more then I need, I can't crank it all the way which I why I asked this question and I keep hearing people say Marshalls sound best at 10!

That's actually not true in my pretty extensive experience. T00DEEPBLUE mentioned, in his post, above, that as your amp gets louder, you begin to run out of power. In particular, this affects the bottom end, which needs a LOT more power than do mids or highs. The old joke is that the louder a Marshall stack gets, the more the bottom end disappears. It seems silly to suggest that 100W of Marshall stack isn't sufficient in any regard, but a Marshall actually doesn't work all that well at 10. 
As someone else mentioned that's a master volume amp,  Simply turn up the channel volume and back off on the master,  I suppose I could go into the nuts and bolts of the design but I wont so you'll just have to trust me,  or Google Master volume amp vs Non Master volume amp,  But that's the idea behind a master volume amp,  Bedroom volume level while still attaining tube saturation,  Granted you wont be pushing the speaker/s to optimum but you cant have everything unless you plan to throw a lot of money at it,  Fluxtone speaker, Sweet Baby Jesus! What's next?  Personally I prefer to just piss off the neighbors,  Actually I've pissed off whole neighborhoods,  But that's another story better suited for The Pit,   As to learning tools?  Welcome to the 21st century,  Videos, YouTube, even online personal lessons via Skype or whatever,  OK perhaps I should just save this rant for The Pit,  BUT.. back in the day we had books, Hal Leonard was great stuff,  8 track?  Yea that was new and too expensive so we used Vinyl records and played them over and over and over till we figured the song out.  We had crappy gear in most cases but we never gave up.  Cool new song got played on the radio not pumped up and passed around on social media, then had tabs written for it the next day available via your smart phone,  You had to buy the album and listen to it and figure it out for yourself,  Mistakes were made and new ideas began,  Today that's rare, Just so much try to be like the next guy and  fit into the social norm.    
Last edited by nastytroll at Mar 10, 2017,
Quote by nastytroll
As someone else mentioned that's a master volume amp,  Simply turn up the channel volume and back off on the master,  I suppose I could go into the nuts and bolts of the design but I wont so you'll just have to trust me,  or Google Master volume amp vs Non Master volume amp,  But that's the idea behind a master volume amp,  Bedroom volume level while still attaining tube saturation,  Granted you wont be pushing the speaker/s to optimum but you cant have everything unless you plan to throw a lot of money at it,  Fluxtone speaker, Sweet Baby Jesus! What's next?  Personally I prefer to just piss off the neighbors,  Actually I've pissed off whole neighborhoods,  But that's another story better suited for The Pit,   As to learning tools?  Welcome to the 21st century,  Videos, YouTube, even online personal lessons via Skype or whatever,  OK perhaps I should just save this rant for The Pit,  BUT.. back in the day we had books, Hal Leonard was great stuff,  8 track?  Yea that was new and too expensive so we used Vinyl records and played them over and over and over till we figured the song out.  We had crappy gear in most cases but we never gave up.  Cool new song got played on the radio not pumped up and passed around on social media, then had tabs written for it the next day available via your smart phone,  You had to buy the album and listen to it and figure it out for yourself,  Mistakes were made and new ideas began,  Today that's rare, Just so much try to be like the next guy and  fit into the social norm.    

geez what are you gonna tell him next? get off my lawn. kids can't appreciate what you are saying but i hear you and still often learn by ear. i'll bet that at least half the people here have no idea what an 8-track is. (as a funny side a buddy of mine restored a 71 T-Bird which of course had an in dash 8-track player.. he actully managed to find a NOS 8-track recorder and rigged it so he could record from CDs. he cruises on nice days playing modrn music on an 8-track in the car, funny). 

OP dud if you only know 5 riffs and a scale then me thinks learning to play is more important at this point then trying to get a mythical sound from your amp. i'm all for sounding good but ya know. 
Quote by monwobobbo
 geez what are you gonna tell him next? get off my lawn. kids can't appreciate what you are saying but i hear you and still often learn by ear. i'll bet that at least half the people here have no idea what an 8-track is. (as a funny side a buddy of mine restored a 71 T-Bird which of course had an in dash 8-track player.. he actully managed to find a NOS 8-track recorder and rigged it so he could record from CDs. he cruises on nice days playing modrn music on an 8-track in the car, funny). 

OP dud if you only know 5 riffs and a scale then me thinks learning to play is more important at this point then trying to get a mythical sound from your amp. i'm all for sounding good but ya know. 

Actually restored a 69 Charger RT 440 mag with the original 8 Track. tying to find someone who could repair it to working condition wasn't easy,  I did and he's my amp guru these days.   Dudes badass.  
Alot of learning to be had on YouTube.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
How is it a master volume amp? I have a Mustang and there are legitimately two volume knobs. I have a DSL40C, and there is only one. I think it has something to do with the gain? 
Quote by texuspete00
How is it a master volume amp? I have a Mustang and there are legitimately two volume knobs. I have a DSL40C, and there is only one. I think it has something to do with the gain? 

one knob for gain and one knob for overall volume. this is what is being talked about. non master volume amps only have one volume control and noting for gain as turning the amp up loud is how gain is achieved. 
I have a JCM900 and there is something to be said about that amp being on 11, it is magic...well, not really 11 but about 8 on the master volume. I record it with sound iso headphones two rooms away or at the studio in iso booth, the rest of the time it is on 2 or 3.