New here... ive been playing guitar for 20+ years. However ive never upgraded electric guitar. I still have my ol squier strat standard i learned on (which is a fairly decent one for a squier). And i still only have my ol crate GFX-30 amp. (30 watt).

I play mostly at home, gigs maybe once a year so, group get togethers jam sessions a few times a year. i dont need a $4K plus stack set up. However i do want something pretty freaking decent where it aint no joke for having.

Im thinking about a 100 watt marshall tube, and a 4x12 cabinet...?

Ive always liked the tube amps.. just never had one.

Im looking at buying a G&L ASAT tele or a fender pro series tele, and a paul reed smith. Two electrics..

What reccomendations do yall have?
Last edited by Sniper338 at Mar 9, 2017,
Budget? Style of music? New or used? Why a 4x12 and 100 watt? Location?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by bobafettacheese
Budget? Style of music? New or used? Why a 4x12 and 100 watt? Location?

I dont have a budget down...  but was thinking $1500 may get me something worth wild.  I play classic rock, southern rock, and country.  New, i dont buy used anything.  I figure 100 watt would be a good step up from a 30 watt, more juice, louder when i need it, sound better all the way around.  Texas.
I understand but 100 watt tube is ridiculously loud, heck even 5 watts tube can be ridiculously loud. 
More bang for your buck going used but YMMV. 
Is the $1500 for amp and guitar or is it for the amp
Combo or head/cabinet?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
I am not sure if you really need to go to 100 watts but a 50 watt head should do fine.

I'd say Mesa Mark V off the bat as it is one of the most versatile and good sounding amps in all territories.

You could also look at Traynor YCS50 or YCS100, very versatile heads that don't do crazy high gain metal but cover everything else.

Real Marshall - PTP Plexi or Bluesbreaker might also be a great idea to have.

Soldano SLO might be a very good amp to have - lifetime transferable warranty so need to worry even used.

Friedman amplifiers is another brand that I really like.

Orange Rockerverb is also a great amp, worth looking into it as well.
Are you close to Austin? There are some great stores there, especially this one:
www.austinguitarhouse.com
Great staff and wonderful selection of quality amps, nothing like the garbage of Guitar Center.
I visit them all the way from Houston and can't be disappointed. The guitars are kept at perfect temperatures, great staff.
The had a Marshall Plexi clone that I really liked by this custom builder, Metroupoulos.
Quote by bobafettacheese
I understand but 100 watt tube is ridiculously loud, heck even 5 watts tube can be ridiculously loud. 
Combo or head/cabinet?

Just an amp.  Guitars a $3k each ish..
With that budget there are a lot of options. Especially the one's stated above. 
Line 6 M13
When you say worth while what does that mean?  A worth while head and cab built in China or a worth while head and cab built in the US or England?  To me it sounds like your willing to drop a big chunk of change on a couple of guitars but overlook the importance of your amp,   Hate to say it but $1,500 new don't buy nothing in the way of amp and cab these days but Chinese made junk,   A real 412 cab worth having will run about $1,000 and a real amp worth having closer to $1,500,  Texas? come on just step up to the plate, Mesa MK V and the Mesa Rectifier 412,    Best bank for the buck, Soldano SLO 100 Yea Ok check the price tag on that puppy
Last edited by nastytroll at Mar 9, 2017,
Im going to have to go in and play on some of those amps yall name.  Thanks for the heads up!  
mister ur amp is solidstate no ? so any 5 w tube amp will be louder.

how much gain do u need <--- 

are you gonna lug around that 4x12 ?
27mMoV31II7.a2
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Sniper338
New here...  ive been playing guitar for 20+ years.  However ive never upgraded electric guitar.  I still have my ol squier strat standard i learned on (which is a fairly decent one for a squier).  And i still only have my ol crate GFX-30 amp. (30 watt).

I play mostly at home, gigs maybe once a year so, group get togethers jam sessions a few times a year.  i dont need a $4K plus stack set up.  However i do want something pretty freaking decent where it aint no joke for having.

Im thinking about a 100 watt  marshall tube, and a 4x12 cabinet...?

Ive always liked the tube amps..  just never had one.

Im looking at buying a G&L ASAT tele or a fender pro series tele, and a paul reed smith.  Two electrics..

What reccomendations do yall have?

Well a 100w Marshall 4x12 is a touring rig.  It is sure to get the job done (and beyond) and double as a home heating source in winter.  I gig regularly but sold off most of my big amps cause they were just overkill for gigs these days.  You might not like the small 15-30w rigs I use but they sure sound sweet when cranked up at full song.  You have a fairly generous budget so lots of things are possible.  Here are some medium sized amps that sound great and have some of that visual panache you seek.:

Mesa Roadster
Laney IRT
Engl

Good luck in your quest.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by bobafettacheese
Combo or head/cabinet?

this.

i have a 6 watt VHT that you can hear down the street if i were to turn it up all the way.  100WATT tube is a bit over board IMO.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by bobafettacheese

Considering that's the case, why talk him out of 100 watts?

It's a bit like telling someone not to buy a ferrari because the speed limit's only 70, and telling them to buy a porsche instead- you'll not drive either to its limits on regular roads.

and that's before you consider that higher wattage amps often sound better than lower wattage amps at really low volumes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^valid point, I was just trying to identify wants vs. needs, heck both of my amps are above 50 watts and I never leave the house. 
Line 6 M13
^ Yeah.

That being said, diabolical makes a good point- if the same thing's available in 50 watts for home use that should do more or less the same job.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Let's see...I own a $50 desktop Orange amp of unknown wattage (that I never count), a 40w Fender, and a 30w Orange. But my G.A.S. list has amps of 30w, 45w, 50w, 60w, 75w, 100w and 200w on it.

I do not gig.

Sniper338 if you think you love that Marshall no one argue with that... But i suggest you also buy a loadbox... Full-soak loadbox would be great, You can tame the spl of your cab before your neighbour load their guns... Loadbox 100% must have gear if you had 100watt tube amp
Don't think of 100watts in terms of volume; think in terms of tone. A 100 will probably be smoother and have more bass, but a 50watt will probably sound more raw and aggressive.

You can always reduce the power to bedroom level with an attenuator anyway, so just factor this into the cost of buying your amp, and buy what you really want vs what you need.

My two cents on buying your first marshall though; is buy used. Marshall really haven't made any new models that sound like "marshalls" for 20 years, and I think if you're into classic rock at all you'll probably want to get something older.

Check out JCM900 MKIII's or if you've got a bit more cash to spend, JCM800's. These were some of the last old school sounding marshalls, and can still be found used online for reasonable prices.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50