I listened to a video of the DC30, and it was as luscious as I have ever heard a guitar. I played one back in 2000, but I forgot about the company since then.

What are your thoughts on them?
"Best" is so subjective when it comes to taste in tones.

Matchless amp cleans sound excellent to most people. But there are a lot of boutique amp makers out there whose amps have similarly stellar cleans. Check your budget and pick one; you probably can't go wrong.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I agree with Danny. If you're looking at Matchless, you probably have too much money to spend not to look at different brands too. If the end of your journey brings you at Matchless, great. If it doesn't, also great. Just be aware of the options. 

That said, Matchless does great stuff. 
I sooooooo want an Avalon.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Sooo...what IS your budget?

I'm still not buying sound gear of any kind based on YouTube video quality. 

I have the luxury of hearing a lot of the amps on the market here in LA, and especially at the LA Amp Show (where you can go into a room, close the door and crank the sucker). While I realize that others' locations might not be overrun with choices, I really recommend trying to hear the amp in person before making an expensive decision.
Very much agreed with all the other responses so far - Matchless amps do sound stunning, in my opinion, I'd love to try one (but can't really afford one!) and there is a store within about 30 miles of me that sells them. I know a few guitarists who swear by them and they all sound awesome playing through them, but I've never actually played through one myself - From what I've heard based on the varying opinions shared on the internet, they are very fussy about picking dynamics and force you to work really hard to get a good consistent sound out of them, which some people can't get on with at all... So I wouldn't advise buying one based on online demos, because the sound is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to amps like this.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I like the matchless dc 30 that sits around my Church's studio. i play it once in a while. honestly for what they fetch as far as pricing goes, I would look elsewhere. I like the two rock way more TBH but they are a little different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
With high-end amps in genteral being hard to find having a rep for being somewHat persnickety about the talent level of the players, trying before buying is usually advisable.

...and I say that as a person who buys most of his stuff online.

And they can be ducedly hard to find.  Which is one reason I don't have one like this...yet.  Add in their prices...

So I advise anyone looking at amps like these to be aware of other brands that may suit them, but may actually be found someplace you can try one out.  

To that end, here's an admittedly incomplete list (in no particular order) of some of the brands you might want to consider:

Matchless
Carr
Komet 
Monarch
Category 5
Oxygen 
3rd Power
Two Rock
Tone-King
Victoria
Dova
Divided by 13
Science Amplification 
Tex Amps
The Valve
Harry Joyce
Andrews Amps
Carol Ann Amps
Neu
Top Hat
Victory
Colby
Park
Goodsell
Louis Electric
Magnatone
Greer
Trillium

Matchless make incredible amps that sell for a lot of money, my opinion is they sound really great but then you dont need to spend that kinda money for that kinda sound. I bought my Cornford in 2012, guy I bought it off had a Matchless head setup I can't remember the model name. Amazing amp but honestly I preferred the Cornford, which while they are also hand built at a very high quality and also sold at boutique prices new can now be had for a fraction of the price used.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you can get just as good for a lot less money than a Matchless, you're paying for that brand name. When it comes to recordings of guitar you're hearing a shitload of stuff that isn't the amp, with clean the guitar itself especially and the mic + placement + the sound of the room it was recorded in, and on top of that the influence of the playing on the sound. You really have to just get in a room with it yourself, with your guitar and try one.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 11, 2017,
"Best" is entirely subjective.  With an unlimited budget, Matchless is a good choice.  With a lot less $$, Carvin, Mesa, Fender, and Vox are also good choices.  I love owning excellent guitar amps but I hate spending too much and cutting into my beer money.  Such is life.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have no budget. I was just curious what you all thought about them. 

Thanks for all of your opinions. 
Post some pictures/clips when you buy one!
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I have two of the best clean amps out there already. I do not really need another good one. A Dual Rectifier is probably next on my list whenever I get a new job. 
Bleh boring, it takes 2 months to dial in a sound with a Dual Rec with their weird EQ and then someone comes along and fiddles with your knobs and you're back to sounding like shit! Sound great when they are dialed in right though, i'll give it that.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Cornford were great amps...now bankrupt or am I mistaken?

I played a Matchless Chieftain while auditioning amps and while I am not a player that uses clean much, their clean was so amazing that I almost dropped $2.5K on it. They're amazing and I'd totally vouch for them. If money weren't an issue, it is a beautiful amp.
Quote by Bigbazz
Bleh boring, it takes 2 months to dial in a sound with a Dual Rec with their weird EQ and then someone comes along and fiddles with your knobs and you're back to sounding like shit! Sound great when they are dialed in right though, i'll give it that.

I don't have issues dialing in recs (nor my mkiv) and don't have people fiddling with my knobs either.

I really like mesa lonestar for cleans (and the mkv having a very clean channel.

my rivera has really nice cleans too. They often get over looked . Imo
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by diabolical
Cornford were great amps...now bankrupt or am I mistaken?

I played a Matchless Chieftain while auditioning amps and while I am not a player that uses clean much, their clean was so amazing that I almost dropped $2.5K on it. They're amazing and I'd totally vouch for them. If money weren't an issue, it is a beautiful amp.

Their factory burned down and the owner went a bit loopy, the story is a bit hazy/unclear but he kept saying he intended to re-start production but it didn't happen, Martin Kidd (the chief designer on their amps) jumped ship and started Victory Amps. I've never really liked the Victory amps from what I've heard of them, it seems like a more mass production and cost friendly variation to what they did at Cornford, the sound isn't quite there for me. The designs at least sound a lot different to the Cornfords, to me.

Matchless are amazing amps and for pure clean it beats my Cornford but I obviously didn't buy a Hellcat for clean sounds. My buddy is currently bouncing between buying I think it was a Matchless Lightning and the Dr.Z Wreck, not familiar with Dr.Z amps personally though but it certainly sounds good

I'm looking at a Splawn Quick Rod as my next amp, possibly... Slightly chasing that early EVH brown sound.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
I don't have issues dialing in recs (nor my mkiv) and don't have people fiddling with my knobs either.

I really like mesa lonestar for cleans (and the mkv having a very clean channel.

my rivera has really nice cleans too. They often get over looked . Imo

It was mostly a lighthearted joke about how sensitive Dual Recs are and how easy it is to get a bad sound, majority of players you hear with them sound terrible, only the real top guys get the best out of them. A 6505 you turn it on and you don't have much flexibility, but the sound is great out of the box. And yep Rivera are beautiful amps, I cant remember the model I played but in that medium gain area with lead sounds it was very sweet sounding.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 12, 2017,
Quote by Bigbazz
Their factory burned down and the owner went a bit loopy, the story is a bit hazy/unclear but he kept saying he intended to re-start production but it didn't happen, Martin Kidd (the chief designer on their amps) jumped ship and started Victory Amps. I've never really liked the Victory amps from what I've heard of them, it seems like a more mass production and cost friendly variation to what they did at Cornford, the sound isn't quite there for me. The designs at least sound a lot different to the Cornfords, to me.

Matchless are amazing amps and for pure clean it beats my Cornford but I obviously didn't buy a Hellcat for clean sounds. My buddy is currently bouncing between buying I think it was a Matchless Lightning and the Dr.Z Wreck, not familiar with Dr.Z amps personally though but it certainly sounds good

I'm looking at a Splawn Quick Rod as my next amp, possibly... Slightly chasing that early EVH brown sound.

It was mostly a lighthearted joke about how sensitive Dual Recs are and how easy it is to get a bad sound, majority of players you hear with them sound terrible, only the real top guys get the best out of them. A 6505 you turn it on and you don't have much flexibility, but the sound is great out of the box. And yep Rivera are beautiful amps, I cant remember the model I played but in that medium gain area with lead sounds it was very sweet sounding.

I agree with that. lol.

6505's are hard to make sound bad.

it's hard to go wrong with a splawn,both of mine are kt88 though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 12, 2017,