Hi everyone,

As mentioned above, I am currently deciding on which amp to buy used. The valveking is being sold for $240 and the 6505+ combo is $370. My band plays metal, hard rock, country to pop songs. I don't have any experience with these amps and just wondering what peoples' experiences are with these. If you'd like to check here's the local posting for amps in my area if you can find another one for a decent price. http://www.kijiji.ca/b-amp-pedal/winnipeg/c610l1700192 Thanks everyone!
depends on what you play more of. the 6505+ combo is great for metal but not really a good choice for country or pop. the VK is pretty good for all genres but if you are doing modern metal then it falls pretty short. i guess if you were a little more specific on what you are playing it woud help. 
monwobobbo Country: Achy breaky heart, eagles songs. Pop: pop rock, generic pop songs. Metal: Metallica songs, SOAD. So pretty much a variety of everything.
Quote by tabooyd
monwobobbo Country: Achy breaky heart, eagles songs. Pop: pop rock, generic pop songs. Metal: Metallica songs, SOAD. So pretty much a variety of everything.

ok well i'd go for the VK and make sure you have an overdrive pedal for metal type stuff. you likely won't nail the metal tones but it will be good enough. also depends on what Metallica you're talking if stuff like Enter Sandman then you're fine the really heavy stuff won't work as well. 
Basically what monwobobbo said.  They can both do all the music styles you mentioned, but the 6505+ does metal MUCH better, and is more difficult to dial in the more low key tones (but CAN be done).  Where the VK can easily do your blues, country, pop, classic rock, but has a hard time doing metal.  I've heard of people having some great success using the VK for metal with some minor mods and a good pedal or two.

That's a really good deal for a 6505+ combo though.  I RARELY see them for less than $400.  Usually see them around the $500 range.  VK price seems on the low end of average.  
Last edited by Xander_X at Mar 10, 2017,
Xander_X Yeah, the only reason I'm considering the 6505 is because of the price. But then it won't suit my needs as of now haha.
If you can find one, I really think a JSX combo would suit you much better.  It will basically fit right in there and give you all your tones w/o mods.  But idk what your budget is.  It would be around $400-$500.
Quote by Xander_X
If you can find one, I really think a JSX combo would suit you much better.  It will basically fit right in there and give you all your tones w/o mods.  But idk what your budget is.  It would be around $400-$500.

great idea if it can be afforded however those are getting tougher to find and the price seems to be going up. 
Quote by monwobobbo
great idea if it can be afforded however those are getting tougher to find and the price seems to be going up. 

True story.  I've even seen the little 5w JSX's going for $300+ lately, though they're a little more rare.  But still. I still see the heads fairly regularly, but yeah, the combos are turning up less and less. Same with the 5150/6505 212, and XXX Combos.
Quote by tabooyd
Xander_X There's a JSX head in my area for $630 haha. Might be too much for me lol.

That's a lot for that.  There's a guy on my local CL asking $900 for a XXX and Peavey 412M cab .... he'll be lucky if he gets $500 for the whole thing.

XXX is another good amp, but it would be too much gain for what you're doing. The 5150/6505 has about the same amount of gain, but it's more usable and easier to tame than the XXX.
Xander_X $450 for 5150 212. Would that be a good deal? Oh dang. Talked to the guy and he's willing to sell it for $370.
Last edited by tabooyd at Mar 10, 2017,
Yeah, that's a good deal as long as everything works and is in decent condition.  They're GREAT combos, only issue is they're HEAVY as sh*t.  SERIOUSLY.  Also the 5150 II / 6505+ would be a chore to dial in for your more tame tones, the 5150 / 6505 will be a challenge. I could get technical with the differences, just trust me.  Great amp though, just don't think it's right for you.
Xander_X He said he'll sell it to me for $370... Oh man. I do have a backup blackstar 260TVP and a Traynor YCv80 though, for the tamer tones.
tabooyd If you can swing it, I'd call on this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Triple-XXX-II-120W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-112811796.gc

It's a picture of a XXX 112 combo, but the Title says XXX II head.  The XXX II was a relabled JSX and $400 is an excellent deal on that.  It may just be an incorrect photo.  If the title is right and the picture is wrong, I'd grab it up.  If it's the other way around, forget it.  Just my 2-cents
Quote by tabooyd
Xander_X He said he'll sell it to me for $370... Oh man. I do have a backup blackstar 260TVP and a Traynor YCv80 though, for the tamer tones.

Again, 5150 is an excellent amp, wouldn't want to discourage you from buying it because of that; but even with other amps for other styles, this thing is a BEAST to carry.  You're going to HATE carrying IT around, much less an additional amp for other styles.   It's seriously not a heck of a lot lighter than trying to carry a 412 and head together, just less awkward.
Xander_X Man, I know. Both of my other amps are already too heavy lol. I heard the VK 212 is just as heavy or slightly lighter haha.
Quote by Xander_X
Again, 5150 is an excellent amp, wouldn't want to discourage you from buying it because of that; but even with other amps for other styles, this thing is a BEAST to carry.  You're going to HATE carrying IT around, much less an additional amp for other styles.   It's seriously not a heck of a lot lighter than trying to carry a 412 and head together, just less awkward.

gotta agree here. while the 5150 is an awesome amp it was made with high gain tones in mind.  that is a great deal so good that i'd have to wonder if there was an issue with that amp as it goes for way more than $370 on the used market. you need a more jack of all trades amp if you are going to play that kind of variety.  2x12 tube combos do tend to be heavy but yeah i think that peavey added a couple of extra bricks in the 5150. 
I used to have a 5150 212 combo.  It's 100 pounds. . . The Crunch is NOT foot switchable on that amp so it will be a huge pain for you to dial in the tones - you'll have to walk over to the amp.  

If you do go for it purchase 2x JJ 5751's and a JJ 12DW7.  The 12DW7 goes in V2 - low gain for the clean channel and a regular 12ax7 for the high gain.  Try a 5751 in V1 and also the phase inverter.  

For what you want though the VK with a distortion pedal may be the best.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .