So I have a quick question for everyone. If you could choose any double locking tremolo in the world (in a world where routing is not an issue) which trem would you choose and why? I am asking this because I plan on getting a guitar build in the future and would like to get some opinions.
OFR/Schaller Lockmeister. Whichever you can get more cheaply. They're identical apart from the name and the baseplate stamp.

Either that or an original Ibanez Edge.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
^ Yeah.

Or maybe the gotoh. You know, I've never got round to trying it, but I wonder what a Gotoh would feel like with OFR/Schaller springs. If that made the Gotoh feel a little looser like the OFR... that might be my favourite.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Edge/Lo Pro Edge or OFR, they all have flaws though that can be improved apon, specifically the trem socket holders and tightening system.  The Edge Pro came up with some good ideas letting you string up without cutting the ball ends off, seems to have equal tuning stability too. I think the old trems are just preferred because of reputation from the "good ol' days" mostly.

The OFR and Original Edge especially are most liked because their total mass is centered on a smaller area/point allowing them to "flutter" more, where as newer designs are more stable because the mass is spread across a larger area, so there is less flutter. Steve Vai prefers the latter, even using trem stops which while they still allow full floating mode they also stablise the trem further, which further reduces the effect of fluttering.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 11, 2017,
^ the big problem is it's almost as much of a faff to fit the ball ends into the edge pro as to just cut them off. I just cut them off.

and yeah that's usually the reason mooted for the supposed extra flutter of the non-lo-pro floyds. that being said the edge pro seems to have pretty decent flutter, too.

but the original-style high profile ones look cooler
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've just ordered one of the Ibanez Jem 777 reissues, so will be my first guitar I own with an Original Edge (my 7V has a Lo Pro). But that said I currently have a tremol-no installed on my 7V which reduces fluttering, and it's running 10s (increased tension reduces fluttering) so to be honest my Jem basically doesn't flutter at all. 

I think the Jem 777 might come with a trem stop on it too, not a tremol-no but something else. Playing with a super fluttery guitar can be a lot of fun, I played a Jackson a few years back with an original floyd rose and either 8s or 9s stringed up, you could flick the trem and it would just wobble for quite some time, which is something I can never recall my Jem doing. I have a Strat with a Floyd Rose but it's not routed out, so it only has enough pull up to basically do vibrato and would hit the body if you tried to flutter, basically an EVH solution.  But you can definitely notice the difference in the center of mass with that trem compared to the Lo Pro Edge.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
^ yeah i love flutter

does a tremol-no adversely affect flutter? they're a pain to set up, but if you get it just right it should still flutter a fair bit.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah i love flutter

does a tremol-no adversely affect flutter? they're a pain to set up, but if you get it just right it should still flutter a fair bit.

Well a tremol-no increases stability of the trem just by being installed, it has a similar effect as a dampening system on suspension forks for cars/bikes. Not only is it adding weight to the system thus increasing the energy needed to maintain movement but it adds very minor friction. It's not something you notice in normal play but if you're fond of fluttering it absolutely has a noticeable effect on reducing that quite a lot.

I don't ever use fluttering in my playing so it just doesn't matter for me, I need to be able to lock the trem off at a moments notice to turn it into a fixed bridge, and then back into floating, so the tremol-no is a no brainer. But if you're into fluttering around with a wobbly trem you should avoid any trem-stop type devices entirely.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 12, 2017,
Ah yeah I see what you mean. I did notice that "very minor friction" thing you're talking about.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Woah! This post already has 10 replies? I didn't check over the weekend, hahah! So it sounds like people really like the OFR, the Edge, Edge Lo-Pro, Gotoh, and Schaller. If I'm correct, Schaller and the OFR are pretty much similar, and the Gotoh and Edge Lo-Pro are Low profiles?
Quote by Bigbazz
Edge/Lo Pro Edge or OFR, they all have flaws though that can be improved apon, specifically the trem socket holders and tightening system.  The Edge Pro came up with some good ideas letting you string up without cutting the ball ends off, seems to have equal tuning stability too. I think the old trems are just preferred because of reputation from the "good ol' days" mostly.

The OFR and Original Edge especially are most liked because their total mass is centered on a smaller area/point allowing them to "flutter" more, where as newer designs are more stable because the mass is spread across a larger area, so there is less flutter. Steve Vai prefers the latter, even using trem stops which while they still allow full floating mode they also stablise the trem further, which further reduces the effect of fluttering.

I have noticed that the Floyd on my PRS SE does flutter A LOT. I can even hear fluttering when I pick the strings a certain way. I love me some flutter but I wouldn't mind something a little bit more tame. I only use flutter for fun rather than a musical tool anyway... atleast not yet.
^ The Schaller Lockmeister is, as far as I'm aware (I haven't tried it), an OFR with Schaller branding. https://www.schaller-electronic.com/hp316928/Tremolo-LockMeister-right.htm?ITServ=CY4a5547dfX15ac850c359XY52ea

However, there's also a regular Schaller double-locking tremolo (which I guess they made before the OFR patent ran out; they still make it but now they make the lockmeister too). It's slightly different, and I've heard a few complaints about threads stripping, the baseplate not being hardened steel etc. (do some Googling, I can't remember for sure), but I think it's generally regarded to be one of the "good" Floyds as well- hardened steel knife edges, brass sustain block etc.. https://www.schaller-electronic.com/hp135038/Schaller-Tremolo-right.htm?ITServ=CY4a5547dfX15ac850c359XY52ea

The Lo-Pro Edge and Edge Pro (also good, and also made by Gotoh) are low profile.

The Original Edge and the Gotoh GE-1996T aren't low profile, they're original-style double-locking tremolos. However, the fine tuners are slightly more out of the way than they are on an OFR or Schaller (either version).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow, I'm a Kahler man myself. I just feel they're sturdier, stay in tune better, and a stiffer (which I like).  But I do find a non recessed OFR pretty sexy looking.
Last edited by Xander_X at Mar 16, 2017,
I was at a show wednesday night going to see a couple of bands with a mate, all technical instrumental guitar wankery sort of stuff from some youtube stars I've never heard of. Anyway the headline act guitarist had some wacky looking guitar with no headstock and this tremolo

He was wailing on the trem quite a lot, great tuning stability on his guitar and it looked like a good design with a dual locking system but not one that works like a Floyd Rose, so for sure there are other solutions to the good old Floyd Rose and high quality copies like the Edge.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
I was at a show wednesday night going to see a couple of bands with a mate, all technical instrumental guitar wankery sort of stuff from some youtube stars I've never heard of. Anyway the headline act guitarist had some wacky looking guitar with no headstock and this tremolo

He was wailing on the trem quite a lot, great tuning stability on his guitar and it looked like a good design with a dual locking system but not one that works like a Floyd Rose, so for sure there are other solutions to the good old Floyd Rose and high quality copies like the Edge.

Now THAT is interesting my friend! I have to see more of this. I did a quick search of "strandberg tremolo" and found some pretty need players. I didn't spend too much time on it so I don't know too much about it. I don't even know if "Strandberg tremolo" is what it's called but I did find that trem! I have also seen some multi-scale versions which makes it nice to know that there are multi-scale versions of double locking style trems. Not that I'd ever own one... Maybe, maybe not.
Last edited by ATorres77 at Mar 24, 2017,