hi there . (my English isn't good )
i am reading "music theory for dummies "book . in the part of chords ( which chord lead to which chords ) write " Or " what the meaning of or in this part ?
for example vi chord can lead to ii , iii , IV OR V CHORDS
It means the same thing as it always means.

"vi chord can lead to ii , iii , IV OR V CHORDS" means that if your progression has a vi chord, the next chord will likely be one of the chords that was mentioned. So the "possible" progressions are:

1. vi-ii
2. vi-iii
3. vi-IV
4. vi-V

(There are other possibilities too, but it just listed the most common ones.)

They use the word "or" so that they don't need to list every single possibility separately. Without using the word "or" they would need to say "vi chord can lead to ii. vi chord can lead to iii. vi chord can lead to IV. vi chord can lead to V". And that just looks awkward.

But seriously, if you don't know the meaning of a word, just look it up in a dictionary.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/or

"used to connect different possibilities:

Is it Tuesday or Wednesday today?"

So the word "or" in this case has nothing to do with music. It is just used to say that "these are the different possibilities".
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
A progression is harmonic movement; it goes from one chord to another

X -> Y -> ...

The book gives suggestions for movements from one chord to another; there's more than one possible destination for all of them (not everything is written, however; limited context), and the "leads to" column shows a lot of normal chord destinations

How confident are you with the chord functions and Roman numerals right now?
Looks like some odd omissions in those lists.  Obviously they're only showing "common" moves, and not every possible one, because common moves are the useful ones to know.  But whatever happened to V-I?  Surely V goes to I (and IV) way more often than it goes to vi.  Likewise IV commonly goes to I.  (Or maybe those options are assumed in the "can lead anywhere and appear anywhere" comment.)
Your "or" is the exclusive disjunction operation XOR.
Major and Minor refer to the one chord, Major=I, Minor=i

Combining major and minor and being a little more comprehensive...

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Mar 12, 2017,