Been playing guitar for 1 and a half years on and off (meaning I'm basically still between the skill of beginner and intermediate). My Ep LP Special II's 1/4 out is broken and instead of getting it fixed I want an upgrade. So far it's between the two in the title, but are there any other options?

I live in the United Arab Emirates, and it's quite difficult to get specific guitar models (or any professional or even enthusiast gear to be honest) here, so please don't push me to get a certain guitar model if it's not available. This also means that used is pretty much not an option. I'm also not willing to import.

I mostly like to play alternative rock, hard rock and a little bit of metal. I rarely play clean but sometimes I do.
Overall I prefer a thin neck, but a medium-sized one like an Epiphone LP is fine.
Shape doesn't really matter; just needs to be comfortable.
I prefer two 'buckers, but I'm flexible.
Not going to be replacing any pickups either. At least not anytime soon.
NO vibrato, please.
Matte/Satin finishes are preferred but I don't mind glossy.
Again, I'm not that experienced despite playing for one and a half years, so I'm not aware of the tonal difference of certain wood styles or the difference between set and bolt necks.

I still have a beginner amp; Marshall MG10CF. Planning on getting a Joyo Crunch Distortion as the drive on that amp seemed quite muddy.

The Les Paul is around $360 while the Omen is around $400.
I'm willing to spend around $450 at most.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by iamweirderthanyou at Mar 12, 2017,
I have never gelled with cheap Schecters. epi is cranking some nice stuff these days for a good price.

I do have to say that your amp is doing you no favors as far as tone goes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I have never gelled with cheap Schecters. epi is cranking some nice stuff these days for a good price.

I do have to say that your amp is doing you no favors as far as tone goes.

What amp would you suggest then, under $200? And what distortion or overdrive pedal if necessary? Doesn't have to be tube since all I need is a practice amp.
maybe a used peavey valveking. you can easily find one for under $250. you would want an OD though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Where are you buying from? Is it a local shop or an online retailer?  We might be able to narrow down some options if we know the pool you're looking at. I've been happy with my Schecter experiences, but as illustrated, that's not the case for everyone. I'm not big on Les Paul style guitars, but there are plenty of folks who dig them. The Omen is Schecter's entry-level guitar line, and it's a different body style than the LP you're used to.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
maybe a used peavey valveking. you can easily find one for under $250. you would want an OD though.

Peavey isn't available or at most very difficult to get in the UAE
Also if you read my thread thoroughly, I said used is pretty much not an option in the UAE, as the creative professional community here is lacking. Heck, I even put it in bold.
Last edited by iamweirderthanyou at Mar 16, 2017,
Quote by bjgrifter
Where are you buying from? Is it a local shop or an online retailer?  We might be able to narrow down some options if we know the pool you're looking at. I've been happy with my Schecter experiences, but as illustrated, that's not the case for everyone. I'm not big on Les Paul style guitars, but there are plenty of folks who dig them. The Omen is Schecter's entry-level guitar line, and it's a different body style than the LP you're used to.

I'm considering both local and online retailing. I'm willing to get a guitar with a different feel than the Les Paul; also preferably with a thinner neck.
Anyone?
Also for amp recommendations; I don't need a valve, as good as they sound. Valve amps needs to be cranked as we all know, and I live in a small flat that has horrible noise isolation from other rooms.
Quote by iamweirderthanyou
Peavey isn't available or at most very difficult to get in the UAE
Also if you read my thread thoroughly, I said used is pretty much not an option in the UAE, as the creative professional community here is lacking. Heck, I even put it in bold.

not my problem. i go through dozens of threads every day, if i miss something, i am not going to explain myself for that.

i will bow out of this thread. go blow your money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Anyone?
Also for amp recommendations; I don't need a valve, as good as they sound. Valve amps needs to be cranked as we all know, and I live in a small flat that has horrible noise isolation from other rooms.

Actually, that isn't true.

However, 2 of the better budget amps I know of are these solid state, non-modeling amps by Quilter:

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/microblock-45
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/101-mini-head

They both have plenty of power. You'll need a cab or headphones, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Actually, that isn't true.

However, 2 of the better budget amps I know of are these solid state, non-modeling amps by Quilter:

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/microblock-45
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/101-mini-head

They both have plenty of power.  You'll need a cab or headphones, though.

Unfortunately they're not available in the UAE either.
Any good SS combo amps from mainstream brands like Marshall, Orange, Roland etc?
Also still deciding on guitars.
There may be, but I don't know of them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Schecter omen would be a little more aggressive sounding than your LP. I think it would be a nice upgrade.
I got the chance to try an Omen 6 Extreme at a nearby music shop. I LOVED the feel and the vintage sunburst looks amazing. I'm pretty much set on the Omen 6 Extreme now, but are there any other good options in my price range? And also amps that are under $200?
Getting a good sounding amp for under $200 with limited brands available and no used market is a tall order indeed!

Do you have options for buying online like say from Thomann's or the like or are their crippling imposrt duties that would render that to be not cost effective?

I wish I had better news for you, pedals can help your tone but are generally not very compatable with S.S. amps also modern high gain tube amps do not need to be cranked to sound good but again getting a tube amp for less than $200 with limited brands avalability and no used market is next to impossible.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine I don't really care for tubes. Modelling amps sound pretty good but I don't know which one to get; Blackstar's 10 watt ID modelling amp sounds good, but I want to be aware of other people's opinions before I pull the trigger.
Import duties aren't bad in the UAE; hell, this place is famous for having small or no taxes where in other countries there would be massive taxes. It's just that I want to get the stuff I order quickly and don't want to wait for international shipping. It's also easier to return if the retailer is local.
Quilters do work with pedals pretty well, so if you can't find another amp that ticks all your boxes, give them another look.

iamweirderthanyou Fair enough
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Well, if you don't mind a modeling amp why don't you look at the Marshall CODE? Just got the 25 for my bedroom, the complaints are mainly the Bluetooth connection, which I have not a clue as to why that is. How far do you need to get away from your amp when playing while your in the bedroom?
Anyway, the little amp packs a hell of a punch for the money and sounds amazing with over 90 presets. I have a Fender Mustang that sounds like a cardboard box compared. As far as a guitar, look at some brands like G&L or LTD, do you like Strat style?
Flying in a blue dream
SanDune65 The Code looks like an interesting option. Is it neighbor friendly in a not very well sound isolated apartment flat?
I've added a few more options; Orange Micro Terror with Blackstar HT 110 cab and Yamaha THR 5
The Yamaha is a bit more expensive but is drivable at tolerable volumes. Not sure about the Micro Terror though.
As I said, I'm pretty much 100% set on the Schecter. G&L and LTD are hard to find here, and even if you do they're more than likely overpriced.
Not sure about that, but I mean its pretty subtle at a very low setting like 2 on the main volume. I really like the options of the presets, "semi-simulating" some old school amps and stuff. Some of the clean presets seem to be at a lower volume which would be good for you. Its only 25watts, I think that blackstar might piss off your neighbors. I though that Yamaha looked cool, is it an acoustic?
Flying in a blue dream
I thought the THR 5 was an acoustic amplifier too at first sight haha. But then I saw someone using an electric with it at a retailer playing some pretty wicked crunch tones, and also found it on some recommendations lists. Also thought it was a head; low and behold, it's a combo unit. The Code is cheaper than the THR 5 here, though, so I might end up getting that.
SanDune65 By the way, what are your opinions on the Blackstar ID series and the Roland Cube GX series? They're at a great price at local retailers.
Last edited by iamweirderthanyou at Mar 29, 2017,
iamweirderthanyou Blackstar are garbage unless you go with their most expensive line, you're not. The Roland Cube is serviceable at best.
How about Yamaha THR? Have you looked at these? Laney Cub? Laney IRT series? Epi Valve Jr?

On the guitars - I'd go with Epi as they seem to do better in the $400 category. The Schecters I've played didn't seem to work for me, and the $400 priced ones are at atrocious quality. Jackson and LTD at that price is also awful. Yamaha guitars are not bad, if you can find something around that price point. If you bump up by say $200 the Revstars are fantastic.
diabolical I've looked at the Yamaha THR series and they're definitely an option. I just want to have a variety of options and also want it to be as inexpensive as possible. I played a Schecter Omen 6 Extreme at a guitar dealer and, to me, it played incredible. I guess I also want a different feel. The smooth neck was also a factor for me; glossy necks make sliding a nightmare.

I found the Laney LR series here, are they any good?
Also please suggest combos. I don't really want a head as I'll need a cab with a patch cable or new headphones.
diabolical I've looked at the Yamaha THR series and they're definitely an option. I just want to have a variety of options and also want it to be as inexpensive as possible. I played a Schecter Omen 6 Extreme at a guitar dealer and, to me, it played incredible. I guess I also want a different feel. The smooth neck was also a factor for me; glossy necks make sliding a nightmare.

*that* is why you buy a guitar. you like how it plays and feels. i would go get that omen. and that specific one you played.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Just thought of this. Is it viable to get an audio interface and amp sim software?

yes. a lot of people use it. I have no experience with it to help you though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
It's settled then; I'll get the Omen that I played and an audio interface with Amplitube Custom Shop.
Thanks for all of your recommendations!
It's settled then; I'll get the Omen that I played and an audio interface with Amplitube Custom Shop.
Thanks for all of your recommendations!

Post up some pics when you get them!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!