Hey guys, I'm new to the guitar world, i've been practicing for the past few months on my old classic guitar. Now I wanna upgrade to an electric guitar and I have a pretty tight budget, so all I can afford at the moment is the squier bullet strat and the affinity tele even more so! I was wondering if you guys could help me choose which one would be best for playing rock and blues and some metal? I know both are PLAYABLE either way, but which one would get the better tone? I really love the telecaster and how it looks but it's a bit more expensive than the bullet strat, so If I save some cash there, I could maybe get a slightly more expensive, better amp than say a 10 watt fender! What do you guys think? I'd appreciate some help!
personally I would avoid the bullets.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Short answer : Get a HSS Affinity Strat.

Long answer.

Difference between a Strat/Tele is small/irrelevant in terms of playability, difference in sound pretty much the same as far as it makes any real difference they are both single coil guitars and the sound heavily depends on the voicing/output/quality of the pickups. A Strat has a contoured body so can be more comfortable to use and 3 pickups means it's marginally more versatile. Obviously between an affinity and a bullet you should take the affinity all day, it's a worthwhile step up in quality.

Question is why aren't you comparing an Affinity Strat with an Affinity Tele? That's the real comparison you should make, and buy the one that you feel suits you because there is no right choice or better guitar, consider the "tone" equal in quality between the designs. If you want to play metal then most of that sound comes from the amp you use, lets just say 95% or more of that is amp, but having a humbucker pickup in the bridge position will help get those fat mids into your sound as apposed to a bright single coil.

So my recommendation is you just buy a Squire HSS Affinity Strat and then save for a good amp, because of all the cheap amps on the market those Fender amps that come with the package deals are among the worst sounding, especially if you want to play metal.  
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 12, 2017,
I wouldn't say that there is a small or irrelevant feel in tone or playability between teles and strats. all of my teles are strats are very different. a strat bridge pickup is a far cry from a tele bridge pickup IMO.

but I do agree with HSS if you want a strat, but strats and teles are different guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I wouldn't say that there is a small or irrelevant feel in tone or playability between teles and strats. all of my teles are strats are very different. a strat bridge pickup is a far cry from a tele bridge pickup IMO.

but I do agree with HSS if you want a strat, but strats and teles are different guitars.

We're talking bottom of the range quality and a complete beginner here though. And like I said it depends on the voicing of the pickups, I've heard plenty of Telecasters that sound more like Strats, and then each era of Strat has a very different sound. The difference between a 50s voiced Strat and a 60s one is huge, it's larger than the difference between many Strats and Teles.

As far as it is concerned unless you're comparing very specific guitars then you can't really make any difference. You can take a Squier Affinity Strat from 2 different years and they can sound completely different, so as far as giving advice to a beginner is concerned there is no real difference. You plug an affinity Strat/Tele into the same amp with the same player and you're going to get very similar results.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
Difference between a Strat/Tele is small/irrelevant in terms of playability, difference in sound pretty much the same as far as it makes any real difference they are both single coil guitars and the sound heavily depends on the voicing/output/quality of the pickups. A Strat has a contoured body so can be more comfortable to use and 3 pickups means it's marginally more versatile.
I disagree with nearly all of this...

While necks are very similar between the two on modern generic models like the Affinity or Bullet some people do get on a lot better or worse with one body type or the other. Teles generally have a higher-output and generally more useful bridge pickup and the middle position on a Tele is something the Strat doesn't have, while the Tele doesn't have the Strat's "in between" and middle positions, so versatility-wise they both do a couple of things the other doesn't, and in terms of similarity they operate in the same kind of ballpark but there's more than enough difference between them for it to be worth considering. Re contours, my personal experience is that I prefer to have the tummy cut but miss the forearm contour, but I guess that's something where probably most people prefer the contours, I don't know

Quote by Bigbazz
Obviously between an affinity and a bullet you should take the affinity all day, it's a worthwhile step up in quality. 

Question is why aren't you comparing an Affinity Strat with an Affinity Tele? That's the real comparison you should make, and buy the one that you feel suits you because there is no right choice or better guitar, consider the "tone" equal in quality between the designs. If you want to play metal then most of that sound comes from the amp you use, lets just say 95% or more of that is amp, but having a humbucker pickup in the bridge position will help get those fat mids into your sound as apposed to a bright single coil.

So my recommendation is you just buy a Squire HSS Affinity Strat and then save for a good amp, because of all the cheap amps on the market those Fender amps that come with the package deals are among the worst sounding, especially if you want to play metal.  
But this is all spot on.

Besides that I'd add that at that price point you usually don't get great tuning stability from a guitar, but the Tele's hardtail will be a better bet than the Strat's vibrato bridge for that; you can, however, block off the latter to achieve the same effect if you need to.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 12, 2017,
Bigbazz Thanks man I appreciate your contribution. The reason I'm comparing an Affinity Tele to a Bullet Strat and not an Affinity Strat is because It is not available in my local guitar shop in Egypt! We don't have a huge variety of guitars like you guys do in the US and Europe! Though it's probably just out of stock for now! Anyway what you said was helpful, but honestly I think I'd rather go with the Tele and maybe change pickups down the line! I was thinking of Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounds! However, If I do end up with the strat, of course I'd get the HSS one as you recommended!
Quote by shero97
Bigbazz Thanks man I appreciate your contribution. The reason I'm comparing an Affinity Tele to a Bullet Strat and not an Affinity Strat is because It is not available in my local guitar shop in Egypt! We don't have a huge variety of guitars like you guys do in the US and Europe! Though it's probably just out of stock for now! Anyway what you said was helpful, but honestly I think I'd rather go with the Tele and maybe change pickups down the line! I was thinking of Seymour Duncan's Quarter Pounds! However, If I do end up with the strat, of course I'd get the HSS one as you recommended!

dimarzio twang kings are amazing tele pickups when you go down that road. regarding traditional tele pickups. you could always throw a hotrail in the bridge if you want something more humbuckerish.

I still say to dodge the 'bullet' series.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 14, 2017,
Stretch your budget I'd pass on anything lower than a vintage modified.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress

Speaking of which, what is the OP's budget?
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by romeozdistress
In an ideal situation I'd agree but assuming this limitation can't be avoided I don't think an Affinity Tele is such a bad choice, really.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
Quote by K33nbl4d3
In an ideal situation I'd agree but assuming this limitation can't be avoided I don't think an Affinity Tele is such a bad choice, really.

Agreed. The Bullet is bottom barrel. Basically, anything on the Squier lineup above it is a better bet. The Affinity and CVs are both much better. I've only been playing for a year and a half, but I can tell the difference. The Bullet is one of the cheapest you can get. It works, but understand it's the very budget line of a budget brand.  

Now, if they can get something used, there are some sweet options to be had, even under the $200 mark. Hell, I got both my Schecter Damien and Washburn WG-587 for $150 or less, and my RX-10, which is another budget axe, for $80, and  is loads better than the Squier Bullet. You can compare the Ibanez Gios or ESP M-10, but those are pretty crappy too. At the risk of coming off as a Washburn pimp, if there is something used on the X or RX line that pops up, it's at least worth a look. If you want to make money, Washburn sucks, but if you want to find something cheap that's not crap, Washburn's worth a look. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Even a standard would be better and not much more expensive especially used.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Money (or a substantial accessible used market) doesn't just appear because someone wants a nicer guitar That said, (most of) the Vintage Modified models and the Classic Vibe range are indeed where Squier really shine, so if either is a possibility, it's worth pursuing.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan
i had a very nice affinity squier for a while. they are worth it if that's really all you can afford.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by shero97
trashedlostfdup That bad huh? Thanks for the pickup recommendations!

Definitely skip past the bullet, go try out that Affinity Telecaster and see how it feels. Personally I've had good experiences with the affinity guitars, they are great value for money and with a few hardware upgrades can be turned into real professional working guitars. Obviously you can spend more money like others are suggesting and go higher up in quality, but affinity is a great starting point.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V