Page 1 of 4
Petition to rename this the "American Not Paying Service Staff Culture" thread.

1 reply = 1 like = 1 prayer to Jesus = ALLAHU ACKBAR!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Because when I get shitty service I have the satisfaction of giving a poor tip.
Tipping in Britain: "Fine show, old sport."

Tipping in America: "LOL YOU DID YOUR JOB!"

Is how I'm lead to believe these things work.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
It's in lieu of those little side of the face kisses you Europans are always doing to one another.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Tipping culture balances out because it allows people to give money to the labourer based on the merit of their means of production. And it balances out because it allows more jobs to be created. Also, Americans (outside of the north-east, mid-west, and west) are well-to-do people that care for one another, something the barborous europoors and aussies could never understand
Part of the difference in tipping is due to the fact that US food servers (waitresses/waiters) are paid LESS than minimum wage. They literally can't survive without tips. 

I'm a generous tipper, unless the server pissed me off. I do enjoy stiffing people that piss me off (but that is very rare). 
Quote by Fat Lard
Tipping culture balances out because it allows people to give money to the labourer based on the merit of their means of production. And it balances out because it allows more jobs to be created. Also, Americans (outside of the north-east, mid-west, and west) are well-to-do people that care for one another, something the barborous europoors and aussies could never understand

I find your geographic "explanation" to be preposterous. The Northeast is quite EASILY the most prosperous part of the USA, and the West Coast is just behind. The South, which you didn't mention, is filled to the rafters with poor white trash who don't have 2 nickels to rub together. Plus the idea that Southerners, who FOUGHT FOR SLAVERY, "care" about people is similarly ridiculous. 
Quote by TobusRex
I find your geographic "explanation" to be preposterous. The Northeast is quite EASILY the most prosperous part of the USA, and the West Coast is just behind. The South, which you didn't mention, is filled to the rafters with poor white trash who don't have 2 nickels to rub together. Plus the idea that Southerners, who FOUGHT FOR SLAVERY, "care" about people is similarly ridiculous. 

Yeah, the most prosperous in degeneracy and road rage
Then surely a law change is needed, rather than relying on citizens paying employees extra for doing their jobs?
RIP Tom Searle.
Yeah it's dumb
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by MH400
Then surely a law change is needed, rather than relying on citizens paying employees extra for doing their jobs?

You are 100% right. A change in the law is needed. Not only for food service folks, but also farm laborers, who also have an unbelievably low minimum wage (farms are exempt from minimum wage standards in the USA). However a change in the law is unlikely, given that the GOP is in control and are firmly anti labor. Trump and his GOP pals are doing everything they can to crumble workers rights, including an Orwellian named "Right to Work" law on the federal level. As long as the GOP runs the show, forget fair labor laws. 
Last edited by TobusRex at Mar 12, 2017,
Quote by TobusRex

TBF, I think there's an argument to be had about southern culture and the absence of prosperity positively affecting someone's willingness to give a tip. Southern hospitality and the culture that surrounds it is so ubiquitous down here that it generally seems to transcend the racial boundaries you mentioned.

For real though, people on the west coast are assholes.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I find it easier to just tip $20 (roughly 0.85 USD) every time, regardless of service, total price etc. It's much simpler that way, and simple is better.
Of course the simplest thing is to just not tip, but in that case you do get this "this is socially unacceptable" vibe. So tipping a fixed amount is the next best thing
It was caused because of alcohol prohibition in the 1920s and it just never went away according to Adam Ruins Everything.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I only ever tip change. So I'm not a total asshole, but I'm not really helping either.

Tipping people change seems to piss them off more than just not tipping though. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
I only do it if the service is genuinely exceptional. You don't fix structural problems in society and the economy by doing what the builders are supposed to do. It's the same bandaid-on-a-gangrenous-stump mentality that liberals have.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Having been in the industry, having seen more the one server cry or worry about rent, I tip, I tip good too.
The only way you don't get a tip from me is if you are shite at your job AND have a bad attitude.

Oh yeah, the obligatory smart ass answer "bend over I'll give you a tip".
There I'm done.
everyone in the service industry will be replaced by robots soon enough so who cares.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
everyone in the service industry will be replaced by robots soon enough so who cares.

I'm not taking my wine pairing suggestions from a robot tyvm
My God, it's full of stars!
Tipping is fine for dining restaurants. If I still worked in a restaurant I would want tips for my wage. Even making above the min. wage as a cashier/server I still got tips, and that was great. I always tip 5-15% depending on the quality of service, because I know what its like to be in that position. 
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Dreadnought

please like most servers know wtf they are talking about and aren't just recommending shit their manager/chef told them.

the chef could program in the suggestions easy
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
please like most servers know wtf they are talking about and aren't just recommending shit their manager/chef told them.

the chef could program in the suggestions easy

What makes you think the chef won't be a robot?
Why bother having minimum wage standards if people can get exemptions for it....shits dumb yo
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
It's America

The entire country seems to try to be contrarian as often as possible 
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Dreadnought

Would you like some wine w/ that cheese
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by theguitarist

Probably, but at the same time, I'd be bored af if I went to a restaurant and got served by C3PO, I like the human element of restaurants, and the nuances that go into preparing good food.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
It should be optional and in America's case the staff should get paid more.
Quote by chrismendiola
Would you like some whine w/ that cheese
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by TobusRex

And in the Midwest, "tipping" usually has some sort of bovine involved (along with plenty of alcohol).
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
It's disgusting. We should go into the streets and riot over it.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I only ever tip change. So I'm not a total asshole, but I'm not really helping either.

Yeah I'd just give the change back to you lol.
I always play it off as though rummaging for change is too much for my dainty sensibilities and that I've rounded the amount for convenience you see.

You can't give it back cuz I won't whip out coins like a suzerain and toss em at you. I'll have the items, I'll pass you a predetermined set of bills, and I'll say keep the change and wink and the door'll be closed before you could say douchebag.

Come the fuck at me, service industry. Bring it.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Come the fuck at me, service industry. Bring it.

*yawn* trying too hard. I'd expect you to use sharper coaxing techniques, plebe. 
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Page 1 of 4