Page 1 of 2
Mar 19 - Apr 1 partner for the UG IQ Contest is Elixir® Strings.

Submit tabs and win custom Elixir Strings 'Screaming E' Guitar or 3 new Elixir OPTIWEB Coated Electric Guitar Strings sets.

Grand prize
Custom Elixir® Strings 'Screaming E' Guitar - by Manson Guitar worth 3,000 $ or win 3 sets of new Elixir® Strings OPTIWEB™ Coated Electric Guitar Strings.

OPTIWEB Coated Electric Strings challenge everything uncoated string players ever experienced about coated electric guitar strings.
They deliver the performance of a natural string—that crisp tone, natural feel and playable grip electric guitarists know and love—without sacrificing the signature long-lasting tone life of Elixir Strings.

More here: www.Elixirstrings.com
Shura_FYI  so the first prize is the Guitar? and the 2nd prize is the  3 sets of strings? is that right, or am i reading it wrong. 
EVERTON.F.C.
Sasha,
can you please give more details... the way I read it now is this contest
will be won by whoever submits the most tabs of any kind and that tabs are
the ONLY points that go towards this contest... Correct?

in other words none of the points that are received for approving tabs, rejecting them 
or any other TPA IQ points are involved...just strictly TABS... And they can be of any
nature whether they be chord, bass, tab, uke, etc....
6METAL6BASSIST6 what's wrong with that? People who spend time in TPA help other users create better tablature, why shouldn't that be rewarded?
UG IQ Contests are anything goes as long as it follows site rules
UG IQ Special focuses on specific parts

Suggesting that meaningful contribution in the queue may be worthless is counterproductive and actually kind of contrary to tab mod responsibilities, tbh ;|
I don't want to start anything but I just think people who make tabs spend way more time for their points, especially guitar pro.
Quote by 6METAL6BASSIST6
I don't want to start anything but I just think people who make tabs spend way more time for their points, especially guitar pro.
This is a valid point that has been brought up; however, saying that queue contribution is worth nothing is not true either. h0spid, IQ feedback originally brought up by sam b
ayreon77 
1 place gets the guitar and 3 packs of strings
2-5 get 3 packs of strings each

DON CZARSKI 

No, it goes as always: tabs, acrions in TPA queue etc. 
Sorry for not being clear enough.
i think frankowillo should be automatically disqualified 
Quote by Dreadnought
You can't read very well can you

oh my bad I forgot you were a shitty clone of an already shitty user who contributes nothing but trash LOL my bad
for his crimes in the previous competition
these competitions only encourage the contribution of poor quality tabs
Quote by ayreon77
kalypto I think you should be banned

that's nice
Quote by Dreadnought

oh my bad I forgot you were a shitty clone of an already shitty user who contributes nothing but trash LOL my bad
Believe me there has been other ways to manipulate the competitions,  frank is not the only one, you need to get over it and stop being the shit stirrer
EVERTON.F.C.
i only stir shit when there's shit to be stirred
Quote by Dreadnought

Quote by ayreon77
Believe me there has been other ways to manipulate the competitions,  frank is not the only one, you need to get over it and stop being the shit stirrer

*reported for admission of manipulating the system*

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by kalypto
for his crimes in the previous competition
these competitions only encourage the contribution of poor quality tabs

that's nice

But that is the point,they are previous competitiions,the quality of the tabs will be monitored.In football somebody can be sent off,but that does not mean they are banned forever,in moto racing a driver can be black flagged ,but that does not mean they can never race again.Lets be fair here,that is all i am saying,frankowillo was banned,took it on the chin and accepted the punishment,but it is not fair to "ban" for evermore without good reason.
I do agree however this type of competition almost encourages tabs,that would not be as good as if they were not hurried to gain high IQ/Competition points,there is a risk there,however as i have said,i am sure they will be quality controlled anyway.
Mark W
There is precedence for lifetime bans in sports.

FWIW, I see where both sides are coming from, and agree with one side more than the other, but the UG office has made a decision for good or bad. Hopefully there'll be more respectful discussion on both sides from here on out *cough*
Shura_FYI There's a typo in the date on front page:  "The Top 5 users for 03/9 - 04/01 will get prizes from Elixir Strings" ...should say 03/19
Music is the way.
NeoMvsEu  " Hopefully there'll be more respectful discussion on both sides from here on out " Lets hope so.
Mark W
I have a question , im from germany so if I would win the first price do I need to pay the shipping and the taxes ?
Wow, so many "Wow's" at once. At first I was like "3000$ for a pair of strings, that's insane!" until I read it was actually a guitar, I'm honestly very curious. I've been a huge fan and only swear by them / recommend them for the past ~15 years. Mine are Nanoweb though, will have to try the Optiweb. The only reason I switched at first was that my "normal" strings used to become green all over withing days from too much acid (I've always found that weird to say, often having to answer "No, not acid tabs, my fingers do too much acid that corrode the strings"). Anyhow, if you're in this thread you all know what I'm talking about so why am I even taking the time.

BUT FOR THE GUITAR ITSELF: I NEED THIS. The comments are confusing, but is it "most points win" or "most points are put in a draw"?

By the way, in the interactive compare page linked above, when comparing the Optiweb vs Nanoweb in Individual String Mode, the G string is actually out of tune, haha, check it out.
neuroxik I think its the B thats out of tune slightly. The guy slides his hand up the neck to play other chords and mutes it after the E chord. Its funny though that you would advertise these strings without being perfectly in tune
How do people rack up thousands of points anyways? I uploaded loads of tabs and only just reached 1000.
johnqwerty.lee1 they've saved tabs for the competition and submit them all at once :|
And I'm not sure if what magbis is doing is allowed, seems to me he is just going through hymnbooks. I could do that too and then I'd have 300+ finnish hymns here ..At least on some old contest thread someone was accused of writing songs straight from a book.
Music is the way.
Last edited by timoel at Mar 31, 2017,
600 tab submissions in two days seems a bit fishy too. Let's say you spend 15 minutes on each chord chart then that's 150 hours right there. If you sit down for 8 hours every day transcribing songs then it'd take 18-19 days to finish all those tabs. I don't know how much time this guy has to spare but I know most people wouldn't be able to commit to something like that. If we're a bit more realistic and assume that this person could spare 3 hours every day then it would take 50 days. Am I supposed to believe that someone has been saving tabs for >1.5 months? That's bullshit, I'm not buying that. I know what I will buy though if we're allowed to submit tabs from official songbooks. I hope the UG team will do a thorough quality check on the tabs and their origins because I would like to point out that a quick google search will show plenty similar *cough identical cough* tabs
I think that the whole reward system is part of the cause of the dropping quality. My initial upload domain was gametabs, which I still use. The only incentive there was to upload tabs on that site was just for the sake of sharing your work. The was no benefits to uploading hyper-frequently, and it's generally harder for new users to get tabs up. 

With tangible incentives to both upload as many tabs as possible, and rate/approve the said tabs regardless of quality, it's harder to find good tabs amidst the flood of lazy uploads and doppelgangers. 

The problem I'm having at the moment is the fact that mods put "you didn't put tuning info on all bars" and "mark parts of song" comments on every single tab that I upload. The tab I made is "fingerstyle". It's better than at least 90% of the tabs existing in this site, so why aren't you accepting it?
johnqwerty.lee1, UG has formatting rules though and all tabs should follow them, regardless of if they're fingerstyle or not, that's why the mods leave those comments. And yes, before anyone questions it, game music can be divided into sections and they should be labeled where applicable
Last edited by UGMKZ at Mar 31, 2017,
UGMKZ To be honest the top 5 have submitted a huge amount of tabs,unfortunately lesser people like me have no chance in IQ competitions at best i can only do 2 a day,and if i really pushed maybe 4,that would give me 64 points + TPA ,maybe at best 120 average points.I have done more tabs than normal and done TPA everyday and i am just about 10th.I agree the problem could end up with huge quantity lesser quality.Competitions like this always create greed and avarice,if there are prizes to be had,i wish they were called awards given to say the user with a tab that has most "hits" over a period of time,or an award unbeknown till its awarded to the user who works TPA regularly,just a thought.
With the current "prize" competition it has almost become elitest with the same people always in the running to win,it is not necessarily there fault,but it is not motivating to us lesser mortals.
Mark W
Quote by UGMKZ
600 tab submissions in two days seems a bit fishy too. Let's say you spend 15 minutes on each chord chart then that's 150 hours right there. If you sit down for 8 hours every day transcribing songs then it'd take 18-19 days to finish all those tabs. I don't know how much time this guy has to spare but I know most people wouldn't be able to commit to something like that. If we're a bit more realistic and assume that this person could spare 3 hours every day then it would take 50 days. Am I supposed to believe that someone has been saving tabs for >1.5 months? That's bullshit, I'm not buying that. I know what I will buy though if we're allowed to submit tabs from official songbooks. I hope the UG team will do a thorough quality check on the tabs and their origins because I would like to point out that a quick google search will show plenty similar *cough identical cough* tabs

lol

All been said before mate.  You're best off out of it

EDIT: Oh and btw admins the IQ for guitar pro's is still absolutely pathetic and not representative at all.

Average seems ~36 for a request. Let's say 40 for arguments sake.  Current IQ leader (fucking lol at this too btw) is at 7500.  Meaning I'd need ~188 guitar pro tabs.  1 in 3 days (done properly, that is >.> ) is fast, if anything.  So it'd take me over 570 days (1 ½ years) to get 7500 in IQ.  Fair
Last edited by sam b at Apr 1, 2017,
Quote by 6METAL6BASSIST6
sam b

Over 8000 now, will he make it to 9000?

Dunno, is there enough paper in the world for that many chord books of artists no one's heard of?
Page 1 of 2