Poll: Is it cool to play a set and leave?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it cool to play a set and leave?
Yes, it's cool. Just because you happen to be on a bill doesn't mean you owe it to the other bands to stay and watch.
12 27%
It's only cool if you have a legit excuse. E.g., prior obligation, work, emergency.
26 59%
No, I would never do that, but I don't care if other people stay or leave.
2 5%
No, if you show up just to play your set and leave you are a scumbag.
4 9%
Voters: 44.
Not that anyone here would actually know what it is like to play a gig!

But, no, seriously, I've been in both situations. Some gigs, especially starting out bands, no one shows up except for the bands themselves. It feels kinda crappy to show up, play an opening set, and then pack up and leave right after. But sometimes you don't feel it is worth it to stay another two or three hours to see bands you may not enjoy, especially if you're bummed about no one showing up.

Do you stay out or respect, even though you may not enjoy the bands playing the rest of the night?

Do you think it is wrong for other bands to pack up and leave?

I've experienced this a lot, as a fledgling local math rock band doesn't garner much support in the metro Atlanta area. Or maybe we just suck.

I can't deny, I've done it often. And it doesn't feel good to go on later in the night and have less of a crowd as the opening band had.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
You missed out "no, it's stupid; it's a networking opportunity that could help your shit band play more gigs"
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You missed out "no, it's stupid; it's a networking opportunity that could help your shit band play more gigs"

Yea, that's a valid reason to stay, but not really related to the ethical dilemma of it. 
it's cool only if you're heading out to buy a new amp

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Dick move.

You dont want to alienate the people you play with.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
c3powil Moral, not ethical.

But it's a dick move. If they suffered through your set, you suffer through theirs. And then both of you tell the promoter that a polka metal band and a disco metal band just don't belong on the same lineup.
Quote by Diemon Dave
slapsymcdougal 
True. 

What about in the event that you load in, watch a few bands, play a set, and the headliner shows up for load in mid way through the night. Would the openers be required to stay for the headliner? Even if the headliner missed their sets? Is a healiner playing at 9pm required to show up at 4:30 for load in and watch every opener before their set?
Screw 'em. Play your gig and leave if that's what you want. You did what you came for. 
Quote by TobusRex
Screw 'em. Play your gig and leave if that's what you want. You did what you came for. 

Ya! Who cares if nobody wants to play with you and youre literally the shit talk of the scene!?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you have hugely important matters to attend to then it's ok to leave early. Otherwise you are morally obliged to stay and get drunk even if all the other bands are shit. 
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
If you have hugely important matters to attend to then it's ok to leave early. Otherwise you are morally obliged to stay and get drunk even if all the other bands are shit. 

If they're all shit, then getting drunk is in fact the smart thing to do.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Ya! Who cares if nobody wants to play with you and youre literally the shit talk of the scene!?

If you are good enough they'll come begging to you even if you spit in their beer. 
Quote by TobusRex
If you are good enough they'll come begging to you even if you spit in their beer. 

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
If the music sucks, the bar sucks, and nobody hangs out there ever... why bother playing that dump at all.  Get out... Or up your game and get a real gig where you attract real music fans, not just other shit bands that play their own shit music. Way too many musicians playing music that no one wants to hear.  Hanging around doesn't do them any favors.

On the other hand, if the band is rocking the house, the chicks are hot and plentiful, and the drinks are generous, you will want to stay. Wild horses could not drag you away from this awesome experience. I am guessing by your question that this is not your typical experience.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 13, 2017,
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Pretty much this. If you show support for other artists they'll return the favor, especially if you meet them in person.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Being successful as a gigging originals band is like 95% about networking with promoters and other bands, anyone in the industry and creating friendly relationships with listeners who become fans. If you have to leave you have to leave, but consider your goals as a band. I made friends with a guy from another band back in the day who turned out to be a scout for roadrunner records, he got us a showcase with them via passing our demo on and regular contact with them, of course they were simply waiting for us to be largely successful on our own backs before they would commit anything other than showing interest.

On the back of that we had a guitar endorsement offer from Vigier, following that came others, we got offered tours and labels came chasing and we were living it up, loving life (but still not making any real money, at all). If we had just fucked off after playing our set at every gig not only would we have had no fans but we would have really struggled to move anywhere with our careers.

Music business is a fickle fickle thing, it's not about how good you are to a large extent it's about social networking and doing whatever you can to create fans of your music, real fans who will support you.. And when you do that you probably still won't make any money, but you won't be playing opening slots in empty venues anymore.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 13, 2017,
You should stay, if only for the networking opportunities. If you have a massively long journey home and don't want to stay at least show some courtesy, go talk to the other bands and apologise that you can't stay.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Hi everyone! I have recently just finished writing up an ebook which contains 40 massive tips on guitar playing, if you guys could take a look at it and suggest imporvements that would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou, please fine the link below...

http://getmyfile.org/file/A6Es73
The ONLY reasons I would hang around while following bands play is if an insanely hot female wanted me to, or if there's money involved (battle of the bands, etc.).  I just don't want to guard my gear any longer than I have to, whether it's still backstage or out in the truck/bus. Or maybe if the following band has friends in it. These kinds of gigs rarely if ever pay anything and there's almost never any real "networking" to be done at them. 

I really don't consider it a dick move; it's mostly standard operating procedure. The only ones who have a reason to grumble about it are the owners of the venue, since they don't sell as many drinks once we're gone (and our crowd with us).
Quote by deanicognito007
Hi everyone! I have recently just finished writing up an ebook which contains 40 massive tips on guitar playing, if you guys could take a look at it and suggest imporvements that would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou, please fine the link below...

No thanks -- I don't download files I'm not absolutely sure of. 
Quote by deanicognito007

I recommend the mods delete any such unsolicited files. These phishing expeditions are just too normal on special interest forums, and it's unfortunate that they play on the desires of people looking for help. This post had obviously nothing to do with the thread and that's another red flag. end hijack
Last edited by GoldJim at Mar 14, 2017,
I would stay for a while, but depending on where we are playing on the bill, might only stay for half an hour or so. As long as people don't make a big fuss when they leave when we're playing, I don't mind
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Stay unless there are extenuating circumstances.

And anyway, if you leave, how are you going to get paid at the end of the night?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by dspellman
The ONLY reasons I would hang around while following bands play is if an insanely hot female wanted me to, or if there's money involved (battle of the bands, etc.).  I just don't want to guard my gear any longer than I have to, whether it's still backstage or out in the truck/bus. Or maybe if the following band has friends in it. These kinds of gigs rarely if ever pay anything and there's almost never any real "networking" to be done at them. 

I really don't consider it a dick move; it's mostly standard operating procedure. The only ones who have a reason to grumble about it are the owners of the venue, since they don't sell as many drinks once we're gone (and our crowd with us).

I have to agree I had some good friends that were in a band that were invited to play a small festival/hog roast on private property out in the country, they played early while it was still daylight but due to the large amount of bands that were playing they had to load their gear into their vehicle after their set. They were able too pull up close to the stage area to load in but after loading out they had to move out into the big field where everyone else was parked. When loading the equipment into the van after the set they were in plain view of several hundred people.They had a cargo van with no side windows and the rear windows were painted black they had sheet hanging up behind the front seats to block anyone from viewing from the front. 

The festival lasted well into the night and although they did not stay for the entire show when they went to leave around 11:30 pm they discovered that the van had been broken into and cleaned out. In the van they had all of amps, the drum kit, and two guitars. The other guitars a Marshall head and bass had been placed into the trunks of the owners vehicles. That they were devastated goes without saying, a Peavey 6505 halfstack and a Marshall 4x12, as well as a Hartke bass rig with a 1X18 and 4X10 cabinets and a nice set of Tama drums with all the stands and symbols were all gone never to be seen again.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Depends for me. If I'm playing with bands I know/like I'll sometimes stay and if I'm headlining I'm fine to watch other bands, but, I tend to feel absolutely shattered after gigs and quite often if I'm supporting a band I like to head off sharp.
2nd poll option.

I don't perform but see a lot of small acts where sometimes at least half the audience are the other bands. People bailing is lame unless they legit need to go early because they have got a long drive home+need to be awake early the next day or need to get on the road quick to make their next venue due to flights/trains/hotels/etc (flights are usually the reason I see international bands head off early, but they'll try and stick around for a few acts at least and prob just miss the headliner). 

sticking around keeps you on good terms with the promoters and other bands and makes getting future shows easier (especially when you get a "scene"  where everyone kinda knows each other)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Most local music scenes are pretty small circles. Everybody seems to know one another over the years and through various band incarnations. If you keep taking off right after you play, then the chances of getting invited back by any of the other bands will drop dramatically.  
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
totally depends on the situation. if you are on a bill with a band that you know well and have seen many times then not really an obligation. it also depends on where your gear has to go and how easy it will to watch it. networking is important however being able to keep track of your gear is the most important thing. can't play shows with no gear. personally i've found that networking is often best done on nights you aren't playing. stopping in to see bands and getting to know  new venues lets you be seen with less issues. if possible then hang for a bt at least if not then no shame in leaving just be cool and say your good byes as much as you can.