ive been playing guitar for a long time and ive studied scales and what not but i want to play death metal and be a lead guitarist but i cant seem to write death metal solos what am i doing wrong?
Well what sort of death metal?  There's a world of difference between writing like Necrophagist and writing like, for example, Cannibal Corpse, in terms of solos.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well what sort of death metal?  There's a world of difference between writing like Necrophagist and writing like, for example, Cannibal Corpse, in terms of solos.

Yeah,this is important.  Some death metal bands like Bolt Thrower have highly melodic solos.  Some bands like Brain Drill have solos that border on diminished arpeggio exercises.  Even within the same band, solos can change drastically over time.  Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel went from noodly Slayer-esque solos to more melodic.  Many bands will have melodic solos and noodly solos within the same album or even song.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.