Hello.

I have a Crafter electro-acoustic four string bass and have just changed the pre-amp to a Antec EDGE-NDS.

I am getting sound on all strings through my amp but the tuner doesn't recognise the E or A strings.

It does register via harmonics/12th fret but this is not ideal.

Anything I can do? A different pick-up maybe?

Thanks.
Going to have to disagree with you, Tony. Yes, the 12th fret harmonic is exactly twice the frequency of the open string. When the 12th fret is the midpoint of the string. You move that saddle away or towards the nut, you're changing the effective length of the string, and therefore moving the midpoint of the string. If that midpoint doesn't line up with the 12th fret, then the 12th fret harmonic isn't the same as the open note by however many cents.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Going to have to disagree with you, Tony. Yes, the 12th fret harmonic is exactly twice the frequency of the open string. When the 12th fret is the midpoint of the string. You move that saddle away or towards the nut, you're changing the effective length of the string, and therefore moving the midpoint of the string. If that midpoint doesn't line up with the 12th fret, then the 12th fret harmonic isn't the same as the open note by however many cents.
You know what you mean but you haven't put it quite right matey

anyway I don't think this guy is using the built in tuner to set his intonation right now
As long as intonation is spot on (which you should be able to do with the onboard tuner, using the 12th fret and it's harmonic), you can still tune using the harmonic. Otherwise it would be a case of buying another tuner, or another, bass specific, preamp.
Deliriumbassist 

True, it doesn't line up with the fret exactly, and maybe calling it the 12th fret harmonic isn't a good idea. It is actually the 2nd harmonic, with a node located somewhere near the 12th fret. However, if put you finger on the string over the 12th fret, it will be close enough to yield the 2nd harmonic. Try it and see.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
smb

I get that. He's using the 12 fret or the harmonic to tune the string but that only works when intonation is spot on. If intonation is off, then working to the 12th fret won't tune the open string correctly.

i use both. i use the harmonic to test all my open string because it's a clear and consistent signal, then after i have that in tune, i test my 12th fret and sometimes also my 24th fret to make sure the intonation is correct (or at least close enough that i can work around it if i'm in a situation where i can't whip out the allen keys)

it's not a 100% perfect system, but it's a hell of a lot closer than just banging on your open strings and waiting for them to come up, especially considering your exact problem with testing on harmonics is the same as when you test open strings and not other frets. 

i don't think i've ever had a tuner read differently from my open string to the octave harmonic, but YMMV 
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.