Hi I have been playing guitar for years but have never memorized the notes on the neck, now I want to. I have really poor memory so I am wondering it this way is the best to learn the notes on the neck, or if there is a better way factoring in I do not have the best memory, I know this has probably been asked many times but any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. Please see the video:

ok...first..the guitar is an illogical instrument..that is..the way the strings/notes are arranged (in standard tuning) are not straight line-like a piano keyboard..which you can visualize fairly easily..once you know where the "C" note is you can "see" it across the keyboard..not so with the guitar..

the way I learned it (I was tired of not knowing what was beyond the 5th fret) I learned to play the major scale in every position possible ..

now there are several "position" methods..but usuallly it comes down to 5 positions which would be a good place to begin..having that as a base learning additional positions becomes much easier..the internet has many lessons on this type of stuff 

I would start with the key of C learn the scale ascending AND desending in all positions..then begin to learn the intervals within the scale - where is the C note in relation to the E note..notice which fingers play those notes and which fret they are on..and so on..the relation of E to G notes..finger positions and frets..

now I realize everyone learns at their own rate of speed and you may find a much easier way to digest the fretboard..but every method will require time and determination and patients..the end result should be you "KNOW" where the notes are with out having to think about it..this takes some time..go slow and be thorough..

for me it was learning the scale in every key in every position..yep it was work.. would do it all over again if I had to..it is priceless to know the entire fretboard in every key..

I dont particularly like the vid...but that is just me..if it helps you is what matters
play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Mar 13, 2017,
You don't need to memorize every note on the fretboard.  All you need to know is the chromatic scale, and a few reference points.  Think of the order of notes on a keyboard. They are all in order, repeating every 12th key.  Each guitar fret equals one piano key, in the same order. So for instance, any place you find an A note on guitar, the fret above it will be A# (Bb) Okay, if you've been playing for years, you already know that.

At it's simplest, you know the names of every open string. To figure out a note, you can count up the string, but that's tedious. The shortcut is to memorize some intermediate notes. Then you're never a fret or two from a note you recognize. 

The intermediate notes can be any you choose. Perhaps you want to use the fret markers.  What I do mostly is to work off chords I know. For instance, playing barre chords quickly teaches you all the notes on the E strings, right? Barre an E shape on the first fret to get F, second fret F#, third fret G, etc. So there's 2 strings that you already know.  

What about the other strings? Well, If you ever barre an A shape, you already know the 5th string the same way. If not, just think of the notes as a 4th above the E string. 

Look at it this way.  For every chord shape you know, including inversions, if you know the root and  V, you pretty much have covered the fretboard with markers, and no "mystery"  note is far away from one of those.  This probably sounds more complicated to describe than actually do. The point is that in all your years of playing, you already know the root, IV and V...even if you haven't thought about it. (C-F-G)  (G-C-D) (A-D-E) (F-Bb-C) (D-G-A) (E-A-B) etc are all the same  I-IV-V relationship. So by knowing chord shapes, you automatically know a lot of notes on the fretboard. 
This is great topic of discussion for all guitarists. I have thought about this a lot, and in order to avoid provoking responses about bad suggestions or bad recommendations, please rather consider what I write as "observations" and "things to think about".

The first thing to think about is why know the notes of the finger board.

There are some pretty clear reasons:

- reading standard music notation
- transcribing to music notation
- music theory study
- music theory application for composing, teaching, performing

There are some not so clear reasons:

- belief that it is necessary to play
- belief it will help in understanding the guitar
- belief it is necessary or helps in understanding some types of music
- belief that the notes are the basis of scales and chords, so note names are needed

Another way of thing about it is to ask oneself:

"Assume that I learned all the note names so well my recognition
of the whole finger board was instantaneous, effortless, and perfect...
Now, what can I do that I could not do before?"

When this question is applied to the first group above (pretty clear), at least three and maybe all four additionally require reading music, which is fine if learning note names is a step toward that. So if music reading is already a skill, then the path to all four is cleared by knowing the notes.

It is the second group (not so clear) toward which this question is more directed. To look at those, one has to look at how you play now, and if note naming is meant to help how you play now, or change the way you play. What I mean here is whether one is intending to use the note names "lightly" or incidentally in the course of practicing and learning things, or if one is intending to actually "re-invent" how they think and play to incorporate a use (maybe dependency) of note names in the very conceptual way in which they play.

Let's see how this goes...
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Best method I've found:

Sheet music.
 Standard notation forces you to learn your fingerboard notes, because you read the notes FIRST, then find them on the board. And you'll learn the notes in each position. Buy a book from your local music store. Choose one for your instrument, guitar, bass etc. It will introduce you to the notes on the staff and the fretboard, starting with the first position (open strings through fret 4). And you will learn to develop a habit of using all your fingers. 
 Guitar Center has music books made by Ultimate Guitar. They have one for bass and one for guitar. It shows the songs in standard notation and tab to help you learn. You will also be supporting this site by buying them.