Hi Guys,
I recently got an unexpected birthday present from my mum, a Marshall MG30 ..., I know these things do not have the best reputation, but as it was a gift I feel I can't really just sell it. I was wondering if any of you guys have played them before, I can't seem to get a tone I like from the thing! I was debating buying a new speaker for the thing, I can't imagine they used the finest of speakers in the amp!
they did't use the finest anything. you are right about that. 
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Yeah I know, what I'm trying to get at, is there any mods I could go to the thing to improve it? 
milesgregory The only money that's worth putting into them is as a way of hiding your personal weed stash.

Keep it as a doorstop if you feel bad about selling it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
emancipation?

seriously, though, I dunno about the speaker. I think, for example, the AVTs actually had pretty decent speakers in them (the g12t-100 I think), and they still didn't sound all that great. and they sound better than MGs (granted, maybe because of the better speaker...). but a good speaker, unless you find one second-hand, is going to cost the guts of your MG.

I'd probably just put up with it and try to find some kind of use for it so you don't annoy her. maybe as a low volume practice amp or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's a doorstop, a paperweight, a weed stash, but it looks cool enough.  
AFAIK no one has ever gotten satisfying tone out of one but enough knob tweaking can get it tolerable as a practice amp.  Don't put any money into it... ever.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
milesgregory Sorry friend. They are not good. With the right know-how you can get okay tones but they are not worth the price tag at all. Just keep playing with it. Do not use the EQ controls or gain controls to extremes. Be smart with pickup selection.
Yeah it's annoying, I mentioned I wanted a practice amp and was bought it ... any recommendations on any decent amps to practice on? I've got a tiny terror but it doesn't sound great unless it's cranked, something that I can't do at home.
Quote by milesgregory
Yeah it's annoying, I mentioned I wanted a practice amp and was bought it ... any recommendations on any decent amps to practice on? I've got a tiny terror but it doesn't sound great unless it's cranked, something that I can't do at home.

A Tiny Terror?  That is a pretty awesome lunchbox amp that works really well at any volume if you spend some time and get to know it.  We played a bunch of live gigs with one and also did some recording at low volumes with excellent results.  Learn to use this fine little tool well.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah. It's just annoying, I could do with something small due to space. I guess I'll just have to play around with the mg, I'll see what I can do with it.
milesgregory mod it as Bookshelf... And buy the real marshall... You dont need to sell it... Just repurpose it... Mod it as mini beer chiller alson seem good for your room...
Install an extension speaker jack so you can take it around to shops and try out different speakers.
Quote by geo-rage
Install an extension speaker jack so you can take it around to shops and try out different speakers.

+1

This mod is extremely easy to do and is really fun to experiment with. Most of these little SS combos have a bad reputation because the small, weak speakers sound like garbage when cranked. Running the amp through a proper cab makes it sound much better. 
Quote by KilowattBandit
+1

This mod is extremely easy to do and is really fun to experiment with. Most of these little SS combos have a bad reputation because the small, weak speakers sound like garbage when cranked. Running the amp through a proper cab makes it sound much better. 
so true