Hello all,

I need your help. My Ibanez S521 Mol (modified with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups and Grover locking tuners) has recently been acting up on me a lot. The volume pot has constantly been scratchy and no matter how many times I try to fix it myself with compressed air duster, nothing's been working. So I decided to check the backplate and realized that the top two screws on one of the edges of the backplate was gaping. The space is small but still enough for my heavy-sized pick to pry through it. The two screws aren't even securing them tight. I checked to see if it was the screw or the slot, and it's the slot that's been causing the screws to get loosely stuck in place to the point where I constantly have to pry open the two screws whenever I want to open the back cavity.

Is this issue fixable or is my guitar compromised at this point? I have gigs coming up soon (one gig this week and another next week) and I am concerned that I may have to dump more money to try and save this guitar.

Like, this is the issue I've been going through over the past several years of playing guitar - cheap guitars under CAD$800 constantly require maintenance every 2-3 years or so to the point where I'm forced to choose between having a guitar that won't last long and a guitar that costs even more to get.

Please help! I need some critical advice ASAP as I am taking my guitar to Long & McQuade tomorrow.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
All guitars need maintencenevery 2-3 years. Sounds like you just need to replace the volume pot
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Yeah, I know, but another issue I've been having to deal with is the fact that the back plate is gaping. Like, literally you could stick a heavy-sized pick in the space between the back plate and the guitar body and it'll just fit right through.

Also, the screws that are supposed to hold the back plate in place aren't doing their job well enough to the point where when I try to tighten them they just refuse to secure themselves in place, and when I try to pull them out, I have to literally 'pull' the screw while turning it in order to pull out the screw.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Quote by parhelia_0000
Yeah, I know, but another issue I've been having to deal with is the fact that the back plate is gaping. Like, literally you could stick a heavy-sized pick in the space between the back plate and the guitar body and it'll just fit right through.

Also, the screws that are supposed to hold the back plate in place aren't doing their job well enough to the point where when I try to tighten them they just refuse to secure themselves in place, and when I try to pull them out, I have to literally 'pull' the screw while turning it in order to pull out the screw.

that is user error. you stripped the screws.

pots are wear items. period. replace the pots and i would go for the switch and jack too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is user error. you stripped the screws.

pots are wear items. period. replace the pots and i would go for the switch and jack too.

1. Will new screws solve the issue? 'Cause I've tried other screws in the top two screw holes and still had no luck.
2. Which is cheaper - taking the guitar to a shop to get it fixed or buying a soldering equipment to do it myself? 'Cause although I know how to set up the guitar myself now, I'm just scared that I might make the situation worse by f***ing up the soldering job (mainly because I've had a bad luck with a hot glue gun back when I used to be in middle school).
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Quote by parhelia_0000
1. Will new screws solve the issue? 'Cause I've tried other screws in the top two screw holes and still had no luck.
2. Which is cheaper - taking the guitar to a shop to get it fixed or buying a soldering equipment to do it myself? 'Cause although I know how to set up the guitar myself now, I'm just scared that I might make the situation worse by f***ing up the soldering job (mainly because I've had a bad luck with a hot glue gun back when I used to be in middle school).

1. you would need bigger or longer screws. not ideal. what you can do is to fill the holes a little bit with wood glue and toothpicks, then put the origional screws in in a few days. i do it for straplocks.

2. soldering irons are cheap. but if you don't know what you are doing or don't have good technique, i promise a LOT of frustration.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
1. you would need bigger or longer screws. not ideal. what you can do is to fill the holes a little bit with wood glue and toothpicks, then put the origional screws in in a few days. i do it for straplocks.

2. soldering irons are cheap. but if you don't know what you are doing or don't have good technique, i promise a LOT of frustration.

Ah, damn...I'm concerned that the wood glue might compromise the integrity of the guitar body even further.

Perhaps is it best to consider that my guitar's already compromised and that I should probably look into something else? 'Cause I live in Waterloo, Ontario, and goddamn, it's SO HARD trying to find something that's suitable for metal and all.

Like, I'll be honest, every single guitar I've tried in the store either goes out of tune too easily or has pickups that sound like a wimp that can't punch through the mix.
Regards,
parhelia_0000
Quote by parhelia_0000

You've stripped the holes. You can use longer screws, you can fill the holes with wood putty and screw the screws into that, etc. 

I've had metal threaded inserts installed on several guitars so that I'm actually screwing and unscrewing machine screws rather than using wood screws on covers that get opened frequently. 
Quote by dspellman
You've stripped the holes. You can use longer screws, you can fill the holes with wood putty and screw the screws into that, etc. 

I've had metal threaded inserts installed on several guitars so that I'm actually screwing and unscrewing machine screws rather than using wood screws on covers that get opened frequently. 

What are those metal-threaded inserts you're talking about? Can they be used on backplates as well?
Regards,
parhelia_0000