Probably not possible, but beyond splitting the coils to get single-coil sounds, is it possible to mod a typical two humbuckers combo and their wiring to get that (neck+middle) out of phase sound? Would inverting one of the pickups work? Isn't that how Jimmy Page's LP was wired actually?
I have several guitars that have a phase switch (miniswitch) to put two humbuckers out of phase. Carvin has done that since the late '70's (as well as installing coil split switches). In some cases, they've built guitars with a master volume, master tone and a blend knob.

But wait, there's more. The original L6S Gibsons had a six position switch that used parallel-wired humbuckers, phase switching, capacitors and a mids rolloff (in addition to the normal treble rolloff we call a "tone" pot) to produce some pretty good straty type sounds. 

I did that with an SG once and the between out-of-phase sounds were interesting.  Not really Fender Stat like but served a purpose.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
How does yours sound? So it reverses the polarity of the entire humbucker? It doesn't reverse one of the coils relative to the other within the same humbucker, right?

Regular humbuckers are wired in series, correct?

I've read (somewhere on the internet - hence it's true :-D) that it's hard to get a 'true' single-coil sound out of a split humbucker... which I can see (or rather hear) on my guitar. I really like the pickup, and it doesn't sound bad split... just... not like a single coil on a strat for example... obviously it's not the same guitar anyway, but...
Last edited by OliveG at Mar 13, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Can't speak to the quality & effectiveness, but this exists:
http://www.awesome-guitars.com/1-products-123.htm

Six, count 'em SIX miniswitches. So you may have to flip more than one switch with a single finger. Sixty-eight variations. Sort of the kama sutra of guitar switching. You may not *hear* a difference, but by god, it's there. 

Apparently there IS some religion involved:

"This AweSome upgrade will give you the ultimate "Holy Crap" experience!"

OliveG 
I didn't really like it so restored my SG to standard wiring.  If you want legit single coil tone, you probably need to mount a legit single coil PU... or just find a nice MiM Strat for $250 used and call it a day.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah I think I'm going to do just that... I had one, shouldn't have sold it. Oh well... they're not hard to find. :-p
That's the sound of neck/middle or bridge/middle on a strat, right? That's what it's called? Or am I loosing my mind?

And I guess once I get another strat I can eventually replace the pickups on my Epiphone to SD's Antiquities... :-P I hear those are da bomb!
Oh, shoot. I thought the middle pickup on a strat was the reverse polarity of the other two? I guess I learned something today...
OliveG 

Yes, modern pickups use reverse polarity, but they are also reverse wound or reverse wired, so the phase remains the same. Confusing ain't it?

When I'm swapping pickups, I do a quick phase test on them before installing to make sure I get the wiring the right way round.
Quote by Cajundaddy
 If you want legit single coil tone, you probably need to mount a legit single coil PU

This.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
So what's the difference between one of the coils of a humbucker and a regular single coil PU?

I know mine sound a little thin when split, not like the single coils I'm used to. Not enough turns maybe?
Speaking of single coils... I lust after the plus top strats, cherry burst (MIM because I'm cheap). What would you think is a good price used? Typically MIM standard strats seem to go for like $300-$350, I imagine those would be a little more expensive...
Quote by OliveG
So what's the difference between one of the coils of a humbucker and a regular single coil PU?

I know mine sound a little thin when split, not like the single coils I'm used to. Not enough turns maybe?

There are other differences, but there's often less output from the single coil of a humbucker than what you can get from a good single coil. So the humbuckers that split best are fairly hot. One of my favorites is the Carvin M22SD. It's a proper raucous 13K humbucker, but it's also a great 6.5K (roughly) single coil when split. 

Most folks who work with split coils don't give them their proper due. When I was using a Carvin Quad-X all-tube preamp, I ran a split humbucker fairly often. But there's a built-in boost on the preamp, as well as an assignable 5-band EQ, and all of the controls are active (not passive). When I ran the humbucker full bore, I could run it in a separate channel with completely different gain stages, the whole shot (there are four channels on that preamp, six (!) FX loops and up to 11 gain stages, thanks to nine 12AX7's.   If you're running a modeler, you have the option of setting up specific user presets for split coil use and others for full humbucker use. That way you never bitch about the split option being wimpy. 

There's another option, of course -- the SD P-Rails have both a real rail-coil single coil AND a real P90 coil, and the P-Rails come in three different output levels as well. In addition, you can use the separate cols together as a humbucker. The switching can be done with push pulls OR there's a pickup ring from SD called the Triple shot that has switching built in. 
So the humbuckers that split best are fairly hot.

That's pretty much what my experience has been, as well as being explicitly stated on the TV Jones website.

Another kind that you're starting to see are humbuckers that are actually pairs of singlecoils contained in a humbucker housing. Thus, when you split the HB, the output is pretty consistent. Rio Grande has the Dirty Harry, Dirty Harry Jr., and Tallboy. Dean Zelinsky has his Sidekicks. I'm sure there are others.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've split the coils on an SD Jazz set, which are 8.4 and 7.5 K ohms. They sound thin, but they are fairly bright, so they could have a place, depending on what you want. The thin sound is moderated by the fact that they still have the magnetic field of the humbucker, which makes them a bit warmer. I see it as a trade-off. A 13K humbucker would be too hot to be useful for me, but he single sound might be good, OTOH, something PAF-like, such as an SD Jazz works well as humbucker, but the single or parallel mode is a bit weak.