Page 1 of 2
Hello I'm in a new alternative metal band and I'm looking for advice for both guitar and bass rigs I have access to around 6000 usd for the guitar rig and I also want advice on the bass rig this is only for amps pedals and cabs I really love what paramore does with there guitar and bass tone when they are together does anyone have any advice for me
Last edited by shredwarren at Mar 14, 2017,
First of all, send half of that budget to me...

$6k USD is a HUGE budget, even split between rigs for 2 distinct instruments, and you could possibly get pro-quality setups for both for $3-4K, and be quite happy.

if you can answer these questions for both, it would go a long way towards helping us help you:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1719474

Also, since you're asking about 2 rigs, which will you be using most often?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
So the budget for the guitar rig is 6000 and I'm helping my bassist build his rig

We live in Los Angeles ca

We are very willing to order gear and buy it new and used

On our upcoming album we used a 1980s jcm 800 for rhythm 1 guitars and a axe fx with I think a Friedman preset as the other rhythm guitars and a 1970s fender as the cleans

Our inspiration bands are paramore, crown the empire, our last night and pvris. There are some gigs where they want us playing through cabs so if you recommend a amp modeler or something along those lines I would prefer a power and recommendation with it.

What I am looking for is a pretty portable and very reliable amp, cab, and effects for live environments
Last edited by shredwarren at Mar 14, 2017,
I would say to skip on thebass rig and get a PA and DI the bass into that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm not buying the bass rig I'm just buying the guitar rig but helping my bassist get the right gear
Well, with that much cash you could literally buy pretty well any production item and quite a few custom items.  For simplicity I'd go for an Axe FX (whatever the newest one is) or a similar modeler (I'm partial to the Line 6 Helix), if you need a power amp you could go tube or solid state, either way you could get a nice quality one.

Thats your entire rig.  
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Bass rig... just get an Ampeg SVT Classic 300 watt tube head with an ampeg 410hlf cab.  

As for guitar, I'd be hunting down a used, clean, Soldano SLO if I had that kinda budget to work with.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
dspellman should get in on this- he knows all the shops in Cali, seemingly.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
could you describe what you mean by 'alternative metal'

I would go with a mesa roadster/road king and a cab for an amp. or kemper, snaxfx if you want modeling.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by ThunderPunk
Bass rig... just get an Ampeg SVT Classic 300 watt tube head with an ampeg 410hlf cab.  

Don't actually do this

In terms of bass gear, get a class-D head with a good DI out and get something with neodymium speakers from your favourite cab builder
My first thought is with my business hat on - is this cash burning a hole in your pocket because there's no need to spend that much

If you are a band that's making money then you need to look at the opportunity cost. You should be spending that money to make more money. There definitely comes a point when you're overspending on gear.
I love the markbass stuff a lot. they also have neo speakers that sound spectacular.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
smb Good luck getting that 'class d' to sound like a tube driven SVT.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Good luck with your back surgery when you've lugged an Ampeg around a while?

Good luck getting two good tones out of an SVT?

Good luck finding an audience who can tell the difference?
So basically this band has a couple of investors and they gave us a budget for everything and that's how much I have for the guitar rig
And also I don't need to spend the whole budget on the rig that's just how much is put aside for it
What is this money costing you then? I trust you have a business plan etc but have you done a cashflow forecast?
From what I know all of that is under control but it's all being done by someone else this was just the budget I was given
Two *different* cabinets that I'm using: the fEARful 15/6/1 and the fEARless F115. Both were originally designed for bass, but are full-range systems that can be used for keys and modeled guitar. Both will handle 800-900W per cabinet and both need to be spec'd and ordered from authorized builders *or* you can DIY the 15/6/1s (see speakerhardware.com for cut-sheet and driver kits). The F115s are custom builder only. You can specify the colors (they're covered in Acrytech's Duratex or, if you prefer, LineX) and more. Talk to http://greenboy.us/cabs/ 

I'm using these with 1500W Carvin power amps, but I'll occasionally use a pair of these with a Carvin BX1500 b ass amp. In any case, if you run these power amps mono, bridged, they'll put out 800-900W into 8 ohms (one cabinet) or 1500W into 4 ohms (two cabinets).  The only thing to add would be a modeler for guitar (HD500, Axe, Helix, etc.)

The F115 is a slightly smaller cabinet (both use 15" Eminence Kappalite 3015LF neo-based low frequency drivers, but there are 12" versions available as well) than the 15/6/1, and the bottom end will be slightly different. My preferred mids driver is the 18Sound 6.5" in the 15/6/1, but the F115 has a 5" (Faital, I believe). Both have a 1" tweeter with a wave guide, but you *can* order them without (mine are able to be turned down or off as required).  

If you get a pair of cabinets (a pair of 15/6/1's for the bass player, for example), I suggest that you order the pair with *reversed baffles.* This flips the orientation of the speakers so that when you stack them (vertically or horizontally), the mids drivers in particular are close to each other vertically and reinforce each other and the slot ports are together.  

The F115s have a different form factor, and can be ordered with "tophats" so that they can be put up on speaker stands (ala PA-type speakers). This is a seriously good idea if you're playing guitar through them. At the same time, they also come with one corner removed so that you can run them as 45 degree tilted floor monitors facing you, which is near perfect if you're outputting from the modeler direct to a board. This allows everyone to hear you (put one on either side of the stage) at whatever volume YOU choose. 

The cabinets are also much lighter than the usual; in the region of 50 lbs each. They use thinner wall plywood that's been properly braced for stiffness and neo-based speakers all round. You actually get LESS oilcanning than you sometimes see with 410s, so you don't lose power in the bottom end. For most gigs, one of these cabinets will be sufficient, but there are a lot of instances where it's nice to have two. Given the light weight, they can be one-handed into a gig (and I have a photo of a girl one-handing a cabinet, and she is NOT Rhonda Rousey). 

One other good thing about running this kind of system is that it allows a lot of options should something happen to other gear on the way to the rig. The F115s have been pressed into service on speaker stands when the PA rental folks "forgot" to show up (apparently part of a plan to sabotage a venue owner) and performed amazingly well. And so on. Outstanding outdoor rigs, too. 
Quote by smb
Good luck with your back surgery when you've lugged an Ampeg around a while?  - Casters.  Roadies.  Shit, make the singer help move stuff.  

Good luck getting two good tones out of an SVT? - That's funny.  Incorrect.  But, funny.  

Good luck finding an audience who can tell the difference? - We should all be playing Squier Affinity Strats into Marshall MG combo amps by that line of reasoning.  

It comes down to personal preference of the musician.  The SVT Classic head has been an industry standard for decades and produces a variety of great tones.  It isn't everyone's cup of tea.  Some guys prefer to go D.I.  Some guys like the light weight class D, stuff.  Some guys are still using 30 year old Peavey TNT amps and are quite content.  He asked for suggestions/recommendations.  I gave some.  If you don't like my opinion, tough shit dude.  

But, if ya feel the need to wave your dick around, by all means flaunt those three inches with pride.  
dspellman ok so let's say I run a axe fx into a matrix or mesa or carbon power amp into the f115 how would it sound with a mic. Also would there be to much low end I am a huge fan of low end but would it not sound right in the mix?

Btw thank you so much
And also thank you to everyone who has tried to help I really appreciate this advice
$600 is enough for a decent guitar gig rig so maybe do that and spend the other $5400 on a used van to haul your gear around.  
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by shredwarren
Cajundaddy everything has already been budgeted out... like everything

Shopping spree!!  
I am sure all this cash comes out of your pocket at some point down the road.  That is how music contracts are written.  "Investors" front you a bunch of $$$ to buy goodies and then they tie you to a 5 year obligation where they own all the rights to you and your music.  It just seems kinda foolish these days with the music biz being so incredibly sketchy and unpredictable to spend a bunch of cash on stuff you don't need.  I guess the best way to make a small fortune in the music biz is to start with a large fortune.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Just out of curiosity if you are playing at a level where investors have provided a $6000 budget for your guitar rig do you not have enough experience with gear to go out and try some amps out until you get something that suits you? 

Your tone is very personal and nobody should be choosing your gear for you tone is very subjective to say the least I suppose asking for suggestions is OK but If I had $6000 budget and lived in Cali I'd be burning up every music store I could and playing on every rig that looked like it would do the job until I found what suited me, no offense intended mind you.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine oh I'm just trying to see every single option and to be honest a lot of the stuff that interested me was boutique gear that I hadn't heard of like the green boy bass cabs I would have never heard of that company let alone think of using a bass cab on a guitar but it seems like it could work really well I am just exploring for the something that you don't see every day piece of gear
You could also spend that money on strippers and booze.  Just an idea.  That aside, a couple questions that will help the conversation out a lot if you can answer them:

What gear are you guys currently using?  (Amps, Guitars, Pedals, etc.) 

What do you not like about your current equipment that makes you want to switch things up?

Are you getting ready for a tour, or are you mostly doing local gigs?

If you're going on the road, will you need road cases for your equipment to protect it?

If someone tossed me 6k, sure, I could go out and buy a ton of stuff.  But, truthfully, I have equipment that I have used for years that I would have no issue loading up and playing a coast tour with.  

Your best investment with that money is going to depend on the extent of what you're doing, and the extent of what you honestly need.  Even things such as whether or not you have endorsements make a difference.  Strings, picks, sticks, tools for repairs, cables, drum skins, gaff tape, duct tape, etc., are all good things to have stocked up when on the road.  It's possible that all of those things will be in place already for you.  We don't know if that is the case or not.  

Give us some more info.  We can make suggestions and talk gear til the cows come home.  I think we all enjoy doing that.  But, if you're getting ready to tour in support of an album, that is different than being a contracted local bar/club band who has regular gigs at a few regional establishments.  
ThunderPunk I am currently using a mesa mark v with a 2 x 12 cab and I do not like the reliability of the amp at all and we are getting ready for touring and I am planning on getting cases for all the equipment
Quote by shredwarren
Cajundaddy hey can we talk about gear on this thread it shouldn't be about how I got the money

Sure thing.  Let's see, guy has $6K windfall cash to spend but has not told us what he likes, doesn't like, how exactly he plans to use these tools, who will be moving and setting up this stuff, where he will be using it... not much to go on bud.

Mesa Mk V... It's my catch-all response when folks have plenty of $$ and no clear purpose.  It is a nice pro amp that covers a lot of as-yet-unknown ground.  Probably one of the most road worthy and reliable amps ever built.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 14, 2017,
Also the mesa rig I have it set up with some rack equipment pretty standard stuff and with a giant case and stuff it's just not portable at all because we still are loading most the gear by our selves so I am looking at something smaller
Cajundaddyif you would have read above I told you what bands I liked what amps I used on the record and what sound I was going for pls stop being such a small dicked asshole and just try to help someone
Axe FX is your only reasonable choice then.  Have a great tour.  

Quote by shredwarren
ThunderPunk I am currently using a mesa mark v with a 2 x 12 cab and I do not like the reliability of the amp at all and we are getting ready for touring and I am planning on getting cases for all the equipment

Mesa unreliable? Please explain the issues you are having, Mesa amps are known to be rock solid.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine it's a very fragile amp and it's way to easy for someone to flip a random switch that puts the amp on confusing buzzing noise mode and you can't find out what happened to your amp for 2 days until you flip the one tiny dip switch and the problem is fixed
Page 1 of 2