Poll: Combo or Head/Stack
Poll Options
View poll results: Combo or Head/Stack
Combo
0 0%
Head/Stack
1 100%
Voters: 1.
So I've been playing for about 6 months now and am improving but hate the sound of my cheap starter combo amp it has a lack of settings and the overdrive button doesn't get that metal tone I want. I'm also looking to start a band soon. I don't know whether I should fork out more on another combo (like a a THR10X, Blackstar) or if I should get something more versatile like a micro terror head and a small 1x8 cabinet so it's good for bedroom playing but if I need to practise or go to gigs I can upgrade the cabinet. Also should I invest in a distortion pedal.
95% Guitar player. 5% Piano player
Playing guitar 1 year
Grade 3/8 - Aiming for grade 6 by next August
Metal, Prog, Jazz, and Math Rock.

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320 - Drop C -Black,
Jackson Misha HT7 - Standard - also Black,

Amp:
Ironheart IRT Studio 15w Head (I like black),
Ironheart 2x12 Cab (once you go black).
What is your budget and what kind of music are you going to be playing? We can't really answer much until we know those 2.
Also, if you're looking for versatility then a micro terror is not the way to go. It doesn't have a proper EQ. It is literally just 3 knobs. Not to discredit the amp, but if versatility is what you're after then you're looking in the wrong place. If you want versatility you'll need to be more specific. How do you want it to be versatile, what different things do you want to do? Ultimately the pinnacle of versatility is a multi-effects unit, and they can be cheap or they can be damn expensive. It just depends how versatile you need to be. Chances are you wont need a multi-effects. 
Although I don't know the specifics of what you are after I would recommend a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and If you have a little extra money to fork replace the stock speakers with celestion V12s. It's a very good amp and it's one of the cheapest tube amps you will find. It's also designed pretty much specifically for metal. Any metal tone you want within reason you can pretty much get with the Peavey.
As for if you should get a head+cab or a combo i think that is mostly dependant on your budget. I don't feel a head+cab would be necessary for yourself but that's not my decision to make.
Whatever decision you make do not buy a distortion pedal. It's a mistake many many beginners make and it is almost always a waste of money. When I first started I also bought a distortion pedal under the assumption that it would give me a killer tone. It essentially did nothing and I later ended up selling it. There's a place for distortion pedals, but if you what you want is just a solid metal tone then a pedal wont fix that.

This is just my 2 cents based on the little information I have
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 14, 2017,
vayne92 Alright thanks. By versatility I mean can be quiet enough for bedroom practise but loud enough for band practise and gigs which I doubt is available from a combo which is why I thought to get small stack because I can switch it out easier rather than buying whole new amp. Only effects I need are distortion, reverb/delay. I play 90% metal and the acoustic stuff I do without an amp anyway. I'm looking anywhere £150-350 ideally.
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
I'd still recommend the 6505+ combo in that case. Are you wanting to buy new or used? I don't know how much they cost for you in the UK, but they're regularly $450-$500 used here in Australia so surely you can find one for 350 pounds used. 
I can't imagine you'll be playing any big venues so you don't need a 2x12 or 4x12 cab. The amp is still 60watts so it can get VERY loud. Personally I think the amp still sounds reasonable at lower volumes and is definitely suitable to a bedroom in the 112 combo variation. 
If you're adamant on not buying used and instead buying new then the THR10X as you mentioned is not a bad amp. The micro terror would be decent but i would not buy a 1x8 cab if you were to do so. They sound pretty weak honestly compared to 12" speakers, and if you're playing metal you want a nice low end.
vayne92 Right so I'll probably get a THR10X then get a stack/head when I need it. I was just thinking of saving money but if the sound isn't good nvm. I'm not too bothered about it being quiet as it's good for bedroom practising at night as well as reasonably loud for day. I am wanting new yeah so unfortunately 6505 may be too much even though it does seem like a beast amp
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Not a wrong choice by any means. I used to own the THR10 and it was a nice little amp. Nothing a beginner can't get along with that's for sure.