Page 1 of 2
True story, my wife got a call this morning from a friend of hers whose husband injured himself in the gym a day or two ago and has been told he'll never have the use of his legs again. Some sort of spinal injury and he's paralysed from the waist down. They've got a two year old son, it's not nice. Obviously.

So when she got off the phone and told me about it, I said to her if ever I'm in a similar situation, I want her to kill me or provide me with the means of killing myself, because I'm not interested in living like that. Well done to those who can cope with major injury, I am not one of you. Then she's to use my death to get some sympathy sex until she finds someone who can take care of her and our kid. I think that's reasonable.

Do you think you could deal with being in some sort of permanently damaged condition?
Quote by smb
True story, my wife got a call this morning from a friend of hers whose husband injured himself in the gym a day or two ago and has been told he'll never have the use of his legs again. Some sort of spinal injury and he's paralysed from the waist down. 

Put icy hot on it.
Thanks, now i never have to go to the gym ever again.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Depends on what counts as a serious illness. I have one already.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I might be better off as it would probably give me an excuse for being a worthless lazybones.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
put me in the ground

actually idk if I even want to be buried, rather get chopped up for donations and research and whatever is left over get chucked in a bin or something, idc. so it'll be suicide in a way that doesn't damage the useful parts.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
how the hell do you paralyse yourself at the gym 
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
What? No. It's not ok to just suddenly think of life as dispensable just because you have to change how you live. What's wrong with you people? Get help.

Only acceptable to start thinking like that when there's no quality of life left, like if you became a vegetable.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 14, 2017,
i'd probably just kill myself 
(\__/)

Quote by Joshua Garcia
What? No. It's not ok to just suddenly think of life as dispensable just because you have to change how you live. What's wrong with you people? Get help.

Only acceptable to start thinking like that when there's no quality of life left, like if you became a vegetable.

I sort of think it is okay and acceptable because of the evidence here that some people think this?
Quote by smb
I sort of think it is okay and acceptable because of the evidence here that some people think this?
Your evidence is that people here agree with you?
Hate to break it to you, but UG is chock full of depressed or psychologically uneasy users. Some hide it better than other too. Doesn't make it ok.

Probably going to get some backlash for this, but while I understand the struggle is impossible to empathize with, I just see it as selfish if you think you'd rather die than give up just a little bit of your current quality of living. Again, only if it's all of it is it more acceptable.

To me, it's just like someone having a huge pool, then having a neighbor suddenly come along and claiming half of it forever. No, it's not cool and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, but am I going to tell them it's ok if they feel like killing themselves? Hell the f no. I'm going to tell them that half a pool is still a pool and can still be enjoyed as one.
Quote by smb
For the sake of argument I'm excluding anything you'd describe as a "disorder"

I would consider being a paraplegic to be a physical disorder. And there are genetic disorders, such as Downs Syndrome or Multiple Sclerosis that are just as if not more debilitating than being a paraplegic.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
yeah probably
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
You're argument (as I understand it) is:

It's selfish to say you wouldn't want to live out the remainder of your life, naturally or with medical assistance, if you suffered a major injury such as paralysis.

Some quantity of UGers suffer with psychological illness and you believe this can be a cause of this sort of selfishness.

Wishing to end your life in the event of this kind of injury is evidence of some kind of mental illness eg. depression.

People with these mental conditions are not capable of making such decisions for themself.

I don't think any of these points are true and some of them are verging on offensive to those with mental health problems.

Edit: Joshua Garcia obviously
Quote by theogonia777
I would consider being a paraplegic to be a physical disorder. And there are genetic disorders, such as Downs Syndrome or Multiple Sclerosis that are just as if not more debilitating than being a paraplegic.
Yeah I was being flippant. Sorry. I think from the context though it's clear I'm meaning psychological illness. If it's not clear: that's what I meant.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Your evidence is that people here agree with you?
Hate to break it to you, but UG is chock full of depressed or psychologically uneasy users. Some hide it better than other too. Doesn't make it ok.

Probably going to get some backlash for this, but while I understand the struggle is impossible to empathize with, I just see it as selfish if you think you'd rather die than give up just a little bit of your current quality of living. Again, only if it's all of it is it more acceptable.

selfish to who exactly? 
(\__/)

Quote by smb
You're argument (as I understand it) is:

It's selfish to say you wouldn't want to live out the remainder of your life, naturally or with medical assistance, if you suffered a major injury such as paralysis.
Yes, because you can still go out and enjoy life being paralyzed. It's obviously not going to be as enjoyable as before, but you're still alive and can still enjoy it.

Unless we're talking full body paralysis, then it becomes a debatable matter of 'no quality of life', which I could understand wanting to end it yourself.

Some quantity of UGers suffer with psychological illness and you believe this can be a cause of this sort of selfishness.

Wishing to end your life in the event of this kind of injury is evidence of some kind of mental illness eg. depression.

People with these mental conditions are not capable of making such decisions for themself.
No, I'm saying you're naturally going to find people who agree with you here because there's few users here who openly claim they're not depressed or satisfied with living as it is right now, so it's neither ok nor acceptable to think killing yourself is ok just on "the evidence here that some people think this".
Quote by kalypto
selfish to who exactly? 
Its a label you're applying to yourself. See pool example in post #14

I'm going to bed before this gets any bigger. Goodnight.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Yes, because you can still go out and enjoy life being paralyzed. It's obviously not going to be as enjoyable as before, but you're still alive and can still enjoy it.
This I think is a funny definition of selfish
Quote by kalypto

skipping leg day
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Rossenrot
you bunch of babies

Oooh, good idea!  What if you were stuck in the body of a baby?

But like still had the brain and voice of an adult.
snipelfritz imagine the shit you could get away with
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
snipelfritz imagine the shit you could get away with

Woah yeah. I wasn't even thinking like that, but if you had an accomplice, you could pull all sorts of operations. She pushes you into the lobby in a carriage, distracts the security while you sneak back there and steal the secret documents or upload the virus to the mainframe.
Quote by smb
True story, my wife got a call this morning from a friend of hers whose husband injured himself in the gym a day or two ago and has been told he'll never have the use of his legs again. Some sort of spinal injury and he's paralysed from the waist down. They've got a two year old son, it's not nice. Obviously.

So when she got off the phone and told me about it, I said to her if ever I'm in a similar situation, I want her to kill me or provide me with the means of killing myself, because I'm not interested in living like that. Well done to those who can cope with major injury, I am not one of you. Then she's to use my death to get some sympathy sex until she finds someone who can take care of her and our kid. I think that's reasonable.

Do you think you could deal with being in some sort of permanently damaged condition?

Just be careful that, if euthansia isn't legal where you are, she could face (potentially serious) criminal charges for helping you.

Regarding the question, I wouldn't know until it happened. I don't think it's helpful to pontificate about the right or wrong way of dealing with it until it actually has happened to you (I don't mean you, I mean the other people giving you grief).

And even then IMO it doesn't give you the right to tell other people how to deal with it because everyone's different.

But regarding your wife's friend's husband, that's awful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd rather be dead than paralyzed. Everything I do requires my legs and arms. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by Dave_Mc
regarding your wife's friend's husband, that's awful.

Yeah it's really dreadful. We went to the pub with them last week and they seemed really happy. Can't imagine how they're going to cope with a two year old as well as his injury.
Quote by kalypto

LivinLikeChaz 2K17

Also, if you have to ask this question, you don't even lift.
Free Ali
Quote by smb
Yeah it's really dreadful. We went to the pub with them last week and they seemed really happy. Can't imagine how they're going to cope with a two year old as well as his injury.

Yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Joshua Garcia To me, it's just like someone having a huge pool, then having a neighbor suddenly come along and claiming half of it forever. No, it's not cool and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, but am I going to tell them it's ok if they feel like killing themselves? Hell the f no. I'm going to tell them that half a pool is still a pool and can still be enjoyed as one.

I'm not gounna hammer on at you about this as I appreciate you are going/went to bed and somebodyiswrongontheinternet.jpg etc etc. If anything here is not very coherent I'll edit this post rather than sustain the argument as such.

that swimming pool analogy is not relatable to severe illness mate come on. I'm a little baffled, as you acknowledge that real empathy/understanding is impossible without experience, and then demonstrate that with an almost comical degree of ignorance. That one has to be totally disabled as you seem to suggest in order to "not be selfish" is bizarre. If I am able to detect a pattern in my existence whereby the lion's share of it is abject or otherwise highly unpleasant then it seems quite rational to determine that, if it is something that cannot be fixed and it is this undefined "lion's share" (people have different circumstances and limits, after all - who are we to know them?) that is negative, perhaps the considerably smaller part that is neutral to good isn't worth the majority that is negative?

I know the OP said no mental illness (sorry mate I'm not physically broke), but to give an example I can give with subjective authority, if some hypothetical modern science-magic were able to predict my mental state qua depression over the next 40-60 years, and it predicted that 70% of it would be spent severely depressed I would jump the fuck down to the nearest bridge, because it is that bad that the 30% that's just "alright" to mildly elated is absolutely not worth that 70%. As it is, things aren't even close to that bad, but there are people whose various problems crop up consistently as the hour's chime. If you can trace a pattern, then it's not a case of emotion, it's an estimated numbers game.

How is it selfish to make an autonomous decision like that? Others might be upset at your death and that might not be very nice for them, but people are not entitled to your existence or pretended happiness. And let's not be under any illusions that people ask to be born. There's no standard by which it is selfish to not enjoy the gift of life which, as implied, may not be much of a gift at all to some, and there's not exactly some logically or observably metaphysical positive value to life.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Mar 14, 2017,
Quote by chrismendiola
LivinLikeChaz 2K17

Also, if you have to ask this question, you don't even lift.

i don't even lift no

so you what herniate a disk which cuts off the nerves to your lower extremities? 
(\__/)

I just started doing yoga so it'd be horrifying. 
Quote by kertets
Only losers post their opinions on the internet.
So it goes.

No, or I don't know. I can't imagine it. I've got a few joint injuries I'd index as minor when compared to "No more use of legs" and they've been profoundly affecting on my self-esteem.

I'm sure I could go on doing regular stuff. Working, cooking, writing, reading, watching movies. A friend of my family is a film director that lost use of his legs in '06 and he's still going. I could live with that. The world still turns. C'est la guerre.

I would not want to live, however, without the capacity to run or swim. Though I suppose I could skirt by on the hope of recovery as I always have. Developing upper body strength for its own sake has its limits.

Could I live with it? Sure. But I certainly do not want to be forced to "live with" anything.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Mar 14, 2017,
Quote by kalypto
i don't even lift no

so you what herniate a disk which cuts off the nerves to your lower extremities? 

I worked with a guy who herniated a disk in his lower back. He's had 2 back surgeries and he can hardly walk because the nerves are so fuck up it hurts to much to walk. He's not technically paralyzed but he spends most of his time in wheel chair because of the pain of walking   
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by smb

Can he still get hard?
And I'm not sure, I would have to answer that when I'm in that situation, answering prior seems disingenuous.
Quote by smb
This I think is a funny definition of selfish
Would it be more accurate to call it being spoilt?
You could learn to make a decent living again (assuming there's still some quality of living, I stress), but you refuse to even consider the possibility of compromising some quality of life because you want it all.

Fwiw I'm speaking in context of an injury causing paraplegia.

Quote by Banjocal
that swimming pool analogy is not relatable to severe illness mate come on. I'm a little baffled, as you acknowledge that real empathy/understanding is impossible without experience, and then demonstrate that with an almost comical degree of ignorance. That one has to be totally disabled as you seem to suggest in order to "not be selfish" is bizarre. If I am able to detect a pattern in my existence whereby the lion's share of it is abject or otherwise highly unpleasant then it seems quite rational to determine that, if it is something that cannot be fixed and it is this undefined "lion's share" (people have different circumstances and limits, after all - who are we to know them?) that is negative, perhaps the considerably smaller part that is neutral to good isn't worth the majority that is negative?

I know the OP said no mental illness (sorry mate I'm not physically broke), but to give an example I can give with subjective authority, if some hypothetical modern science-magic were able to predict my mental state qua depression over the next 40-60 years, and it predicted that 70% of it would be spent severely depressed I would jump the fuck down to the nearest bridge, because it is that bad that the 30% that's just "alright" to mildly elated is absolutely not worth that 70%. As it is, things aren't even close to that bad, but there are people whose various problems crop up consistently as the hour's chime. If you can trace a pattern, then it's not a case of emotion, it's an estimated numbers game.

How is it selfish to make an autonomous decision like that?
Not what I'm suggesting, per se. I'm really stressing on quality of living here. Blind people can still enjoy going to concerts, paraplegics can still enjoy traveling around the world, etc. Obviously there's a varying spectrum there. I'm just using being a vegetable as the worse possible outcome to define the lesser end where it becomes understandable. I obviously can't pinpoint where that line lies because I can't empathize, but to ignore any possibility of a granted decent living as such, as you are right now, does seem selfish.

Others might be upset at your death and that might not be very nice for them, but people are not entitled to your existence or pretended happiness.
Didn't at all say that m8. I'm saying it's a negative trait about yourself you probably have if the idea makes you want to die before it even happens. Again, maybe 'spoilt' would be more appropriate here.

All in all, I think it's just important to at least TRY to make a living after the incident to determine where on the spectrum you lie. NOT BEFORE.
I would definitely not kill myself if I was paralyzed from the waist down.
It'd be a bummer not being able to walk, because walking is pretty great & convenient, but I could still do must the things I love doing now.

anyway, I am not against killing myself in theory, but I don't think I'd ever do it. existence is suffering, but what else is there?
Page 1 of 2