Hi all, I was wondering if someone on here could help me out with an issue I've been having. I have a cheap LTD guitar, the model's name is EC-50, and many years ago I've replaced the stock bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion, which works beautifully for the kind of music I play... until I turn the distortion channel off. It's just really dark and warm as high-output humbuckers tend to be, so I was wondering if it was possible to do a coil-split mod so I could switch to a single coil when I need to.

The only problem is that I'm still learning how to solder shit and I do not want to drill holes in my guitar, and at the same time I basically never use the neck pickup, so the bridge pickup is all I need. Taking all of this into consideration, I thought of the possibility to simply use the switch position that my neck pickup is currently using to act as a coil split for my bridge pickup.

Even with my limited knowledge of guitar electronics this seems like something that should be easy to accomplish, but I've yet to find a schematic online on how to do it. Is this kind of thing even possible, and if it is, how would I go about doing it? Thanks for all your help in advance
You have a cheap guitar. 

1. You can add a miniswitch (why NOT drill holes in your guitar?)
2. You can swap out the pots for push-pulls. 
3. If you set up things so that your neck pickup doesn't work at all, it's sorta worse than adding a hole in the guitar. 
my first guitar was ec-50 . If u want i can do you a scheme just tell me do you need a midle position on your 3 way switch or can you settle for just the bridge hummbucker at full and split mode (basicly switch will work only in 2 instead of the 3 positions( those are your options cause of the way that switch works- iff u dont like it ur gona have to buy diferent switch).
suggestion:
your stock pickups that come with the guitar are garbage buy some cheap neck duncan pickup (when u got one why not to keep it in family) trust me ul like it- why - cause your bridge pickup is stronger(and/therefore better sounding) and not crap, and your neck pickup is crap , ofc u dont like to play with it.so when u get both pickups at the same "sound good" level ul njoy them. (this way you just like the bridge cause it sounds better than the neck)
iff ur up to upgrading neck pickup then we can talk.

sorry for bad eng
Quote by dspellman
You have a cheap guitar.

1. You can add a miniswitch (why NOT drill holes in your guitar?)
2. You can swap out the pots for push-pulls.
3. If you set up things so that your neck pickup doesn't work at all, it's sorta worse than adding a hole in the guitar. 

1. I'm not that good with my hands and I'm kind of broke so I want to minimize the chances that I'll do ANY damage to the guitar, and handling a drill is definitely a high risk situation for me.
2. Again, I want to do as little change as possible, I utterly ruined the pots on my other guitar (a strat, also a cheap one) because I didn't know how to solder the ground connections correctly and now the volume pot is really fucked (something probably melted inside), there's ground issues and it's just a mess. Tried getting some new pots but they ended up being really crackly to the point where they were unusable.
3. That's just the thing, I really don't need the neck pickup as it currently is, I just don't like how it sounds (way too bass-heavy in my opinion). So since I'm not going to be using it (as I currently don't use it), I thought why not use the extra two positions on my switch that I never use (I never even touch the bloody thing to be honest) to be able to split my humbucker and get a single coil sound (something I actually want and would use on a regular basis).

And to be perfectly honest I'm really broke right now, I don't have the money to invest in a quality push-pull pot and even if I did, I'd probably fuck it up while soldering all the stuff to it. I also don't have the money to pay a guitar tech to do it for me so I was just wondering if there was a simple, one-solder fix that would enable me to substitute my neck pickup for a split bridge. I appreciate your help but that's really all I want to do.

Quote by kristbubnjar
my first guitar was ec-50 . If u want i can do you a scheme just tell me do you need a midle position on your 3 way switch or can you settle for just the bridge hummbucker at full and split mode (basicly switch will work only in 2 instead of the 3 positions( those are your options cause of the way that switch works- iff u dont like it ur gona have to buy diferent switch).
suggestion:
your stock pickups that come with the guitar are garbage buy some cheap neck duncan pickup (when u got one why not to keep it in family) trust me ul like it- why - cause your bridge pickup is stronger(and/therefore better sounding) and not crap, and your neck pickup is crap , ofc u dont like to play with it.so when u get both pickups at the same "sound good" level ul njoy them. (this way you just like the bridge cause it sounds better than the neck)
iff ur up to upgrading neck pickup then we can talk.

sorry for bad eng

Once again I'm not going to be changing the neck pickup any time soon, maybe at some point in the future but not yet. But I'm interested in the scheme you mentioned, I'll hit you up via PM. Are you from the Balkans, perhaps?
Quote by kristbubnjar
yeah. im gona post a scheme here

Thanks, looking forward to it!
Dzamija
hope this is what u wanted , i didnt draw the neck pickup or the volume pot for it as u wont be using it.

shit , forgot to ad the ground wire to the back of the tone pot.
Attachments:
duncan split.pdf
Last edited by kristbubnjar at Mar 15, 2017,
Yeah, a push/pull pot doesn't require any additional holes in the guitar, and it works really well. The wiring is very simple, too. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan