Hello All

My question is what is the advantage to using DI boxes with your instruments plugging directly into the PA? I have tried it both ways and the sound does not seem clear . We are using a Behringer XL16 wireless/Bluetooth head with (2) 18" JBL powered speakers with (3) Behringer 10" powered monitors. The PA with vovals sounds nice and clean but when we add our instruments using the DI Box, they can barely be heard. Would really like some advice or guidance

Kevin1957  
You probably need a pre-amp to boost it since levels come out of electric guitars super low. Also a dry electric guitar with no amp or amp sim will generally sound meh, but I guess that's preference. If you run the guitar through a multi-fx like a POD or something and then into the DI box it will work better.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by kevin1957
Hello All

My question is what is the advantage to using DI boxes with your instruments plugging directly into the PA?

Kevin1957  

Fro electric guitar there isn't one. Use a tube backline amp and mic it up properly with a 57. 50% of your sound's tone comes from your amp and cab. I would only DI from an electro-accoustic, even then I like to put a mic on it as well.
I have a SM57 and tried using in on my Marshall Acoustic 50 Amp and the sound was not clear enough or loud enough. I also have a direct out (XLR) and into the PA and still not a nice sound so I have just used my amp with guitar and done the best I could that way. Again, thank you for the suggestions as they are all appreciated. Just trying to find a better way to get a good overall mix

Kevin1957
Another note is we are an acoustic trio. So not sure if this makes a huge difference or not. I would have thought that plugging my Ovation acoustic/electric would be just fine going direct
Quote by kevin1957
Another note is we are an acoustic trio. So not sure if this makes a huge difference or not. I would have thought that plugging my Ovation acoustic/electric would be just fine going direct

You still will need a preamp of some sort to boost your signal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.