Hello all. Hoping for some guidance here. I'm GASing hard for a real tube amp. I've been using a Fender Mustang IV for about a year now. It's fine, but no substitute for real valve tone. I'm just a home/bedroom guitarist, so I don't need a full head/cab setup. I just want to go DI into my computer for playing and recording. My problem is that I use a lot of stereo delay/reverb effect pedals and want to keep that stereo sweetness when I record. I can't seem to find a real tube amp that has a stereo fx loop, so I'm looking for a way around that barrier.

Right now I'm looking at the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister Deluxe 20 and Grandmeister Deluxe 36. They both have an XLR cab modeled DI out. 

I'm trying to figure out if I can go out of the head that way, into the 1/4" mono input on one of my stereo pedals, through the whole stereo pedal chain, and then stereo L/R into my audio interface without sapping all the power and goodness out of the tube amp tone. 

I tried this with my current amp, a Fender Mustang modeler. It worked, but most of the high end vanished. Then I realized the XLR to 1/4" adapter I used was actually a mic impedance transformer. I'm figuring that must be what hosed the amp tone, but the thing is... I have no idea what I'm doing. So I thought I'd ask some folks who probably do.  

If I was to use a simple XLR to 1/4" adapter with this same setup, would I be likely to get unhosed amp tone through the pedals and into the interface? Any other reasons why this kind of setup wouldn't work or isn't worth the expense? Don't want to drop $700-$1200 on that amp to end up with mushy nonsense in my monitors.

Thanks for indulging my know-nothing-ness on this!

Well, you'd be negating the tube power section which might or might not be a big deal, depends what you're trying to do with the tube amp.
I'd imagine you're probably doing some ambient U2 type of stuff, so it might not be a deal breaker.
You can just record the tube amp speaker output and then do your ambient stuff in the DAW with plugins or just try the Redbox emulated output and split that although I am not sure what the output type will be on the XLR out (line out?).
Redbox out to your interface input.  Record your guitar signal dry and then wash it through as many stereo effects as you wish.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
diabolical I hadn't considered that I'd be bypassing the power tubes. Excellent point. I'd still get the pre-amp 12AX7s, but no EL84s. Yes, I can definitely use plugins to great effect. Just have a lot invested in real pedals. TC Flashback X4, Line6 DL4, Neunaber Immerse. Thanks for your reply.
Quote by jamesm601
Cajundaddy This will definitely work. Just trying to use my real pedals if possible. Thanks!  

By recording direct, you can still use all your pedals.
Redbox out> Interface in > record dry track 1> play back dry track 1> to stereo pedals> record effects only on track 2&3> mix down to taste with complete control over effect levels since they are not printed to your original track1.  Lots of engineers do this to keep effects on separate tracks if they want to make creative mix changes later. 
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY